The secret of Zach Britton's unique dominance

xian4

All-time Orioles saves leaders:

160 - Greg Olson

122 - Jim Johnson

105 - Tippy Martinez

100 - Zach Britton, Stu Miller

It's feasible (though by no means certain) that Britton could catch JJ by the end of this season. He should have a chance to pass Olson next season if he's still our closer.

If he is able to stay healthy, and there is no reason to fear he won't, thats a pretty doable number to get to.

You mention Greg Olson, brings back fond memories, he had a curve that was incredible. Hitters would think the ball was going for their head and then snap down and over the plate for a strike.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he is able to stay healthy, and there is no reason to fear he won't, thats a pretty doable number to get to.

You mention Greg Olson, brings back fond memories, he had a curve that was incredible. Hitters would think the ball was going for their head and then snap down and over the plate for a strike.

Maybe someone can find a longer video or gif of Olson, but you can see him befuddling McGwire at about 1:39 of this video. A true 12-6 masterpiece!

I'm pretty sure that was the final K in Oakland following strikeouts of Parker and Henderson as well: http://bit.ly/29BaMGw

Maybe someone can find a longer video or gif of Olson, but you can see him befuddling McGwire at about 1:39 of this video. A true 12-6 masterpiece!

I'm pretty sure that was the final K in Oakland following strikeouts of Parker and Henderson as well: http://bit.ly/29BaMGw

He did the same with Canseco in his prime, totally amazing pitcher.

Schoenfield list his All-star player fun index. He basically wrote his personal list of his favorite players to watch from the all-star rosters. Britton is ranked 28 and here is the info. he posted on Britton.

"28. Zach Britton -- I'm not a big fan of relievers. Nothing personal. But I'm a huge fan of Zach Britton. He throws the most unhittable pitch in baseball, a 96-mph two-seamer that dives down like a hawk in pursuit of dinner. It's the most unhittable pitch in baseball because it's basically the only pitch he throws. (OK, he mixes in a slider about once every 10 pitches.) The fact that batters are actually hitting .161 against him is testament to how good major league hitters are."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/allstar2016_funindex/ranking-all-stars-based-how-fun-are

(vs. ANGELS, 7/10)

After ceding a lead-off single to start the inning, Britton recorded 3 consecutive outs to earn his 27th save of the season.

21 Pitches (13 Strikes, 8 Balls.)

2016 ERA: OOl. 0.72

2016 WHIP: Oo 0.823

Great Britton: Orioles Lefty Closer is Perfect so far in Save Chances

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/07/great-britton-os-lefty-closer-perfect-so-far-in-save-chances.html

(vs. D-RAYS, 7/16)

Strikeout.

Strikeout.

Groundout.

11 Pitches (8 Strikes, 3 Balls.)

2016 ERA: OOl. 0.68

2016 WHIP: Oo 0.832

Several of Britton's most recent saves have been shaky.

Last night's save was anything but.

(vs. D-RAYS, 7/16)

Strikeout.

Strikeout.

Groundout.

11 Pitches (8 Strikes, 3 Balls.)

2016 ERA: OOl. 0.68

2016 WHIP: Oo 0.832

Several of Britton's most recent saves have been shaky.

Last night's save was anything but.

Zach Britton (29) owns 2nd-longest save streak to start a season by a left-handed pitcher.

Guillermo Hernandez (32 saves to start the 1984 season for the Detroit Tigers) has the longest.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/754676174106787840

You know better than that.

No I don't.

Even by regular reflexive action standards it was the fourth game in a row, there were two outs and a reliever having a very fine season was on the mound.

So is Britton off limits today? Probably.

Even with two in and one on the odds that Brach could have finished the game off for the O's had to be up in the 99 percentile.

No I don't.

Even by regular reflexive action standards it was the fourth game in a row, there were two outs and a reliever having a very fine season was on the mound.

So is Britton off limits today? Probably.

Even with two in and one on the odds that Brach could have finished the game off for the O's had to be up in the 99 percentile.

That was a weird decision. It's almost like Buck wants Britton to set the consecutive saves record or he's getting a cut of Britton's FA contract. When Britton fell and grimaced I immediately thought Buck is going to get roasted if Britton is hurt in a game where he didn't really need to pitch.

Archived