Anyone Know Why Chen Uses Translator When He Speaks and Understands English!

Old#5fan

Ah, you're right, still I have to imagine the grammar being quite different. My point is for someone Spanish speaking would be easier to learn English than someone Chinese.

Note: Just doing a bit of research English has lots of Latin roots as well.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, you're right, still I have to imagine the grammar being quite different. My point is for someone Spanish speaking would be easier to learn English than someone Chinese.

From what I understand speaking to American students learning Mandarin they have little in the way sentence structure. The language is also tonal in nature.

From what I understand speaking to American students learning Mandarin they have little in the way sentence structure. The language is also tonal in nature.

Yes, my Taiwanese friend try to teach me a few words. Some of the same words said a different way meant completely different things! That was frustrating. Imagine teaching a Chinese person about silent letters and weird English rules!

I got this strange compulsion to try and raise the level of discourse.

I just use sarcasm and unrelenting logic as my means instead of a more gentle approach.

Well I do agree that you certainly have a "strange" compulsion - no argument there from me!!

Yes, my Taiwanese friend try to teach me a few words. Some of the same words said a different way meant completely different things! That was frustrating. Imagine teaching a Chinese person about silent letters and weird English rules!

You can say an entire sentence in Mandarin using the word "Ma" with different tonal inflections.

As a language teacher I think that it makes perfect sense to have a translator clarify issues for Chen. What's the problem with that?

It wouldn't be a problem at all if he truly didn't understand what was being said but he obviously not only understands his catcher, pitching coach and teamates without a hint of a problem as he not only hears and comprehends what they say he answers them back! If he truly didn't understand wouldn't a translator need to come out during key moments if a game? Yet they NEVER do!!

I couldn't care less that he has a translator. But I do recall the announcers mentioning that he speaks multiple languages, including English very well. So I kind of understand wondering why he uses one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It wouldn't be a problem at all if he truly didn't understand what was being said but he obviously not only understands his catcher, pitching coach and teamates without a hint of a problem as he not only hears and comprehends what they say he answers them back! If he truly didn't understand wouldn't a translator need to come out during key moments if a game? Yet they NEVER do!!

What do you think these players are discussing?? I mean they aren't trying to split the atom out there. Why don't you understand that the discussions on field are much more limited in terminology than they are off field?

Archived