Anyone Know Why Chen Uses Translator When He Speaks and Understands English!

Old#5fan

So you feel that he is gaming the system because he is Asian? Or is Ortiz more of a stand up guy because he muddles through an interview with a version of English? Did you ever think he may be embarrassed by trying to string multiple sentences together on Air? Being on TV is not easy for everyone.

He's being inscrutable.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely not that has nothing to do with anything. It just seems highly suspect almost as if immediately after the interview he walks away like it was great fun fooling everyone that he doesn't understand English!

Now he's deliberately making a fool out of all of us? You really have a twisted way of looking at things. Take a deep breath!

Of course not. Am talking about babies not kids or elderly folks with medical issues!

So what age exactly then? If not for the unsanitary aspect then? You know they have changing stations in grocery store bathrooms too. Don't you?

I wouldn't worry about if. He'll be gone in a few weeks. Maybe he is just more comfortable that way and it is in his contract that he has one.

If you look at my second post of the thread, I just tried to politely let everyone know that this was not a matter that we needed to make a big deal about. On several levels. It is just not something that people object to. They make find it humorous, but not enough to make the big deal that the OP has done in this thread. With moving targets in justification.

Exhibit A: Johnny Damon regularly flubbed (being nice here) the English language yet he was capable of communicating on the field. I mean like neanderthal like speaking. My guess is Chen speaks better baseball lingo than Damon. I think I even saw Damon with a translator once. My point is reporters ask questions about how he felt and his emotions and what he was thinking, right? Those aren't things the talk about on the field.
Your saying that about Damon is preposterous as I watched him on the Celebrity Apptentice and he us very well spoken and intelligent!

Let me give you a hypothetical.

You are working in a French restaurant, in France, as a line chef.

You are on your third year there and even though you don't speak French you have learned the vocabulary and the culture of the French kitchen.

You can understand and be understood by your co-workers.

Walking home one night you get asked to do an interview on French television.

Do you feel comfortable using your "Kitchen French"?

. I might at least be comfortable enough to be able to understand the question without it being translated and if not just ask the translator for any clarification as needed.

Now he's deliberately making a fool out of all of us? You really have a twisted way of looking at things. Take a deep breath!

Only he would know (and his translator) if he is playing a joke on us. I am not saying he is but he could be!$

My guess is that Chen does it because he is being polite and respectful and doesn't want to butcher the language when he speaks. I don't have a problem with that. You can argue he's a job creator, at least he created one for his translator. ;)

Then you have the case of Sammy Sosa, who gave countless interviews in English during the famous HR chase in 1998, and suddenly needed a translator before Congress, seven years later, in 2005. That detail was lost in the Palmeiro finger-pointing controversy. Fast-forward to 11:30

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ftq_IwlHmN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2005main.jpg

Your saying that about Damon is preposterous as I watched him on the Celebrity Apptentice and he us very well spoken and intelligent!

Damon himself has acknowledged his "fluency disorder" and that's not to say he's dumb. But I leave it to you to interpret things your own special way.

Archived