JJ Hardy to DL

LookitsPuck

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tough year for Hardy physically. I hope it's not a harbinger for how healthy he'll be the next two seasons. Year 1 of his deal has not gone well, for sure, though his defense has been stellar when healthy.

I'd consider it a miracle if he's reasonable healthy and productive the next two years. Just an awful signing.

I'd consider it a miracle if he's reasonable healthy and productive the next two years. Just an awful signing.

Funny, that's not what you said at the time. This is from the day the Hardy extension was announced:

Cruz, like Hardy, is absolutely someone I want back unless the money requests are just silly.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/144567-Cruz-Extension-Next?p=3662174&highlight=Hardy#post3662174

Anyway, I would not consider it a miracle if Hardy were healthy and productive the next two years. His risk profile is certainly increased, however.

A horrible contract. Dan has failed.

That is if you are sure it was Dan that made the decision. I think Buck had a very vary large input in this. The contract really started to ramp up last season when he was out a few days for rest and a nagging injury . In those games the defense was awful and Buck was mentioning every time that the defense did not have their leader at short and how much a difference that makes on a team defense. Over the last few years when Hardy is out it looks like a completely different defense.

Funny, that's not what you said at the time. This is from the day the Hardy extension was announced:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/144567-Cruz-Extension-Next?p=3662174&highlight=Hardy#post3662174

Anyway, I would not consider it a miracle if Hardy were healthy and productive the next two years. His risk profile is certainly increased, however.

...And I think he's paid too much. $11.5M, $12.5M, and then he'll cost $16M in 2017 (14 to play and 2 to buy out).

God, that is aggravating. Just a complete lack of integrity. Integrity isn't something that comes and goes. So many people like this. Sigh...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wanted him back for the right price. I feel we paid too much.

Look, we had just smoked the division (and maybe the Tigers) and we all felt great. It looked like Dan was going to extend a few guys and we were excited. I had wanted Cruz back but felt Hardy and Nick were risks to keep because of injuries and what looked like slipping play. It's like Wieters now - I don't want him at all. I love Hardy but that seemed a steep price and now it's seems awful.

I wanted him back at the time. I am still hopeful that with some rest he will put up numbers similar to 2014, as he looked to be in the first half this year. Not the best contract, but not a terrible one, even in hindsight, especially with the lack of viable alternatives at SS or 3B to fill Manny's spot.

So we have only 1 real SS? Does this sound idiotic to anyone else?

I agree. Janish should be called up. It's nice that Steve Pearce can play a decent 2B but that still leaves us without a credible backup shortstop.

Aside from limiting the options for pinch hitting, what happens if Flaherty twists an ankle running out a ground ball in the 2nd inning and has to come out? In all likelihood we lose the game, even with Pearce available to play 2B. Schoop struggled mightily at 3B last season and Manny needs more work to become a viable backup at SS.

I agree. Janish should be called up. It's nice that Steve Pearce can play a decent 2B but that still leaves us without a credible backup shortstop.

Aside from limiting the options for pinch hitting, what happens if Flaherty twists an ankle running out a ground ball in the 2nd inning and has to come out? In all likelihood we lose the game, even with Pearce available to play 2B. Schoop struggled mightily at 3B last season and Manny needs more work to become a viable backup at SS.

Why does Manny need "more work" to be a viable back up at SS?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I wanted him back for the right price. I feel we paid too much.

Look, we had just smoked the division (and maybe the Tigers) and we all felt great. It looked like Dan was going to extend a few guys and we were excited. I had wanted Cruz back but felt Hardy and Nick were risks to keep because of injuries and what looked like slipping play. It's like Wieters now - I don't want him at all. I love Hardy but that seemed a steep price and now it's seems awful.

Here's your comment the day the deal was announced. The 3/$40 mm was already known:

Great to have JJ back!

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/144566-Hardy-Extension-Announced-Today?p=3662083#post3662083

So, calling it a "horrible signing" is exercising 20/20 hindsight, plain and simple. Now in fairness, you did vote in a September poll that the most you'd want to pay him was 3/$30-37mm. But I don't think the difference between $37 mm and $40 mm makes a signing "horrible."

In any event, it will take two more years to know if, in hindsight, it was a bad deal. It certainly could turn out that way.

Here's your comment the day the deal was announced. The 3/$40 mm was already known:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/144566-Hardy-Extension-Announced-Today?p=3662083#post3662083

So, calling it a "horrible signing" is exercising 20/20 hindsight, plain and simple. Now in fairness, you did vote in a September poll that the most you'd want to pay him was 3/$30-37mm. But I don't think the difference between $37 mm and $40 mm makes a signing "horrible."

In any event, it will take two more years to know if, in hindsight, it was a bad deal. It certainly could turn out that way.

Fair enough. We were all excited then and all disappointed now. Polls being what they are I thought 10/yr was acceptable so it's more like 3/30 vs. 3/40 but I don't remember. I may have said 3/36, too. I also know I voted that I would have given Cruz the Seattle deal when most would not have - and we'll see how that turns out. What I will say is that there's more of a timeline to my opinion. I thought Dan was going to extend more than JJ at that time. When Cruz walked, in part because our budget is restricted, I was upset Cruz left and it made the Hardy contract look even worse to me. So, I've overstated some - fine - but not that much. It's true Dan can't predict the future but the team also has way more information than we do. They knew the health problems JJ had/has, which seem more concerning to me now that I've heard more about them so that also plays into an opinion. Clearly I hope JJ turns back into an All Star but I highly doubt that. Bah, just a frustrating season.

Archived