Favorite players on our team

Nevermore

o

Before he was DFA'd, Nolan Reimold was my favorite current Orioles.

I loved his speed and power, and I witnessed his first career home run (from the bleachers) at Yankee Stadium off of Mariano Rivera in May of 2009.

It (his first career home run) was a moonshot to straightaway centerfield, and it made Reimold the only player ever to have hit his first career round-tripper off of Rivera (and with Rivera now retired, that's the way that it will stay.)

I also loved the fact that other than Pete Rose, Reimold is the only major league player that I have ever seen play that ALWAYS sprinted full-speed out of the box on every single groundball that he ever hit WITHOUT FAIL, no matter how seemingly routine the grounder was, and no matter what the situation/score in the game was. That's extremely rare at the major league level, and it resulted in 40% of his singles (16 out of 40) in 2011 being of the infield variety. )  :cool:

o

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Pearce, mostly because he is an athletic stocky hustler like I am. I am always an underdog supporter.

Other than him, I like Darren O'Day alot. He's been a rock for us. I met him, Chris Davis, and Adam Jones at Abbey Burger last season and he and Chris Davis were super nice guys too.

That's about it. Just about everyone else is too early on or has warts that keep them from being among my favorites list.

As a kid it was Jim Palmer, Lee May, and Eddie Murray. Brooks Robinson is there, but I really only saw his last couple years, so it was more the legend of Brooks. Then of course Cal Jr. Fred Lynn, even tho he wasnt here very long. Now, Chris Davis followed by Manny if I have one or two.

Never really had a favorite player growing up, always just rooted for the laundry. I was born in 81 so of course I liked Cal but really not more than any other Oriole.

But I'll say that I love me some Miguel Gonzalez. Everything about the guy, his back story, how they found him, his attitude and humility, his importance in helping get the team to the postseason and in contention, and of course until recently his success. Not going to bail on him because he's going through the first rough patch of his career. I hope he can get back on track sooner rather than later.

Of the current players I would have to say O"Day and Britton based on how much they can be counted on and how consistent

they are. If either of them has a bad game and we lose because of them I just figure oh well we got beat with our best out

there and that won't happen again for a while,I expect them to bounce back.I always loved Nick as a player and hated him

leaving. Every time my son see's CC pitching for the Yankees he says that's the guy who hurt Nick isn't it Dad? My favorites

of all time were Brooks and then Cal. I remember listening on the radio to the Orioles against the Indians and Brooks hit a

pinch hit 3-run homer to help the Orioles win 6-5. I am not sure but that was one of his last if

not last homers he hit.

AJ for reasons already stated and really obvious.

Cautious man-crush on Chad; hope we manage to keep him a long time somehow.

Mintyfresh is a guy I'd like to see stick around too.

I'm sort of off the Hawkeye bandwagon and starting to like [Parra] Keet a lot. At least, I hope we make a serious offer this off-season.

Glad that Jimmy is having a better season on the mound in Year #2 but it damn sure couldn't have been worse, could it?

That's more or less all I have from the all-nickname team at this point. JP should have gone to the Padres already, obviously... Fellaherty isn't worthy of his nickname anymore, if he ever was... jury still out on CaJo (if he stays around I'll need something better than that)...

In my long tenure as an Orioles fan, there have been four players who I was really passionate about while they were here: Frank Robinson, Eddie Murray, Mike Mussina, and Nick Markakis. For a shorter time, Erik Bedard was a huge favorite of mine.

Nobody currently on the team quite rises to that level for me. Manny really excites me, and may rise to that level eventually, but I'm trying not to become too attached to a guy who could be outta here at age 25. Adam probably deserves that status for his talent, commitment and passion, but his tendency to swing at bad pitches and be impatient in key situations just drives me nuts. At the end of the day, I think my favorite guy on the Orioles right now is the manager.

Brooks Robinson

Frank Robinson

Cal Ripken

Mike Mussina

Current players

Manny Machado

Caleb Joseph

Jones is the new Mr. Oriole, so it'd be silly not to like him.

I do like Davis... he's frustrating when he's cold, but nothing excites quite like pure power - and all accounts I've read suggest he's an all-around good person and a great teammate.

I liked Mark Reynolds, despite his struggles. Passionate guy, love that in a player.

AJ for reasons already stated and really obvious.

Cautious man-crush on Chad; hope we manage to keep him a long time somehow.

Mintyfresh is a guy I'd like to see stick around too.

I'm sort of off the Hawkeye bandwagon and starting to like [Parra] Keet a lot. At least, I hope we make a serious offer this off-season.

Glad that Jimmy is having a better season on the mound in Year #2 but it damn sure couldn't have been worse, could it?

That's more or less all I have from the all-nickname team at this point. JP should have gone to the Padres already, obviously... Fellaherty isn't worthy of his nickname anymore, if he ever was... jury still out on CaJo (if he stays around I'll need something better than that)...

Who are Chad, Mintyfresh and Hawkeye?

Ah, Benjamin Franklin Pearce. Got it. So I assume these aren't common nicknames just ones the poster has come up with? I've neverheard anyone call them that.

They are perhaps the worst nicknames I have ever come across. If I ever hear someone using these nicknames in a bar, then that person walks outside and gets hit by a bus, I will not look up from my beer, nor will I shed a tear.

Archived