Would Wieters actually Accept a QO?

FanSince88

He would take a QO so fast it would make your head spin. No way can the O's extend a QO to Matt. No way. There is no team in MLB that will give him the long term deal he is looking for now. He would jump on a QO and hope to build his value back for a FA run after next year.

Did you think any MLB team would give Cuddyer 2/21 last offseason?

Did you think any MLB team would give Choo 7/130 the year before?

Every year there are obviously ridiculous contracts awarded to players.

Me, I think a lot of folks are dismissing the impact the TJ surgery had on him and how likely he is to improve after a healthy offseason.

That and I think some folks blame him for not living up to his prospect hype.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me, I think a lot of folks are dismissing the impact the TJ surgery had on him and how likely he is to improve after a healthy offseason.

He's a good bounce back guy. The QO to him doesn't bother me in the least.

He would take a QO so fast it would make your head spin. No way can the O's extend a QO to Matt. No way. There is no team in MLB that will give him the long term deal he is looking for now. He would jump on a QO and hope to build his value back for a FA run after next year.

I have said this from the getgo and agree 100%.....not worth the chance.

That is awfully best case scenario. But it isnt remotely close to the deal for Peraza. They got Olivera for 6 years and $30M. They would get Wieters for 1 year and $8M during a year they wont even compete.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I was talking about the idea being the same. We know the dollars are different.

Assuming that he will improve to even 2013 level is neither likely nor unlikely, it's purely speculative at this point. What is highly unlikely is that the situation will be any clearer five days after the completion of the 2015 WS.

Blame is an interesting choice of words. Certainly some of us are very disappointed that he hasn't lived up to his hype. After 7 ML seasons, plus $23 million, plus his signing bonus, plus a lengthy rehab from a very serious injury for a catcher, a very reasonable question to ask is how much more investment is prudent for the Orioles to make (or risk making) on the off chance that he might, at the age of 30, prove to be more than the league-average player he has shown himself to be?

To characterize cutting ties with Wieters as blame is unnecessarily pejorative. This ship has simply sailed - far out into the sea of diminishing relevance given our current situation at catcher. Bon Voyage.

Assuming that he will improve to even 2013 level is neither likely nor unlikely, it's purely speculative at this point. What is highly unlikely is that the situation will be any clearer five days after the completion of the 2015 WS.

Blame is an interesting choice of words. Certainly some of us are very disappointed that he hasn't lived up to his hype. After 7 ML seasons, plus $23 million, plus his signing bonus, plus a lengthy rehab from a very serious injury for a catcher, a very reasonable question to ask is how much more investment is prudent for the Orioles to make (or risk making) on the off chance that he might, at the age of 30, prove to be more than the league-average player he has shown himself to be?

To characterize cutting ties with Wieters as blame is unnecessarily pejorative. This ship has simply sailed - far out into the sea of diminishing relevance given our current situation at catcher. Bon Voyage.

Blame may or may not apply to you, but I do feel it does to some of the fanbase.

We have a player who:

Is a three time all-star

Is a two time gold glove

Is a fielding bible winner

Finished 21st in the MVP vote

Who is coming off a significant injury and yet fans are ripping him.

I think some fans took his not reaching the level predicted of him personally.

Earlier I compared this season to Nick's season in 2013, Nick got a lot more sympathy.

I think that many folks are dismissing the abilities of Scott Boras to market his major FAs. I am uncertain that he doesn't have J. Edgar Hoover files on all 30 GMs and the 8 presidents of baseball ops. And I especially think there may be details on some owners. He has quite the machine.

I think that many folks are dismissing the abilities of Scott Boras to market his major FAs. I am uncertain that he doesn't have J. Edgar Hoover files on all 30 GMs and the 8 presidents of baseball ops. And I especially think there may be details on some owners. He has quite the machine.

No doubt.

Matt is coming off of TJ surgery. He has held up physically, defensively he has been as good as one could expect coming off that type of surgery and Boras will easily be able to sell upside in that regard.

I am also sure that Boras will be able sell MW as coming off a down year post surgery but healthy now and a good defensive catcher who can hit you 20 hrs (7 so far coming off of injury in 70ish games), help your pitching staff and be a better than average offensive catcher.

In todays baseball world that is easily worth 4-5 years at 10+ million. Even if he only gets 40-60 million over 4-5 years, they are gonna take that and not the qualifying offer. Players cost money, lots of it. MW will have suitors and they will pay enough for him to forgo the QO.

I feel pretty good MW will receive a QO and equally good it will be refused.

He's a good bounce back guy. The QO to him doesn't bother me in the least.

Me neither ...they should tell him the they are planning a rebuild. Extend the QO and if in the one in a hundred thousand that he accepts than he can play next season on a bad team. Sell everyone but Machado, Schoop, Tillman, and Gausman off the roster and QO every free agent. The payroll will be small and Peter never makes saved money available later. So QO Oday and everyone else and tell them the plan upfront.

Blame may or may not apply to you, but I do feel it does to some of the fanbase.

We have a player who:

Is a three time all-star

Is a two time gold glove

Is a fielding bible winner

Finished 21st in the MVP vote

Who is coming off a significant injury and yet fans are ripping him.

I think some fans took his not reaching the level predicted of him personally.

Earlier I compared this season to Nick's season in 2013, Nick got a lot more sympathy.

For the record it's not personal with me, disappointment notwithstanding. I want the Orioles to have a genuinely competitive season in 2016 and further work on a foundation for the years beyond, something that's not going to be easy to pull off. I don't see Wieters as the best use of limited resources, nor do I see him as part of the future. If that makes me unsympathetic then guilty as charged, but I'd like to see Pearce resigned, one or two significant upgrades in OF/1B and a starter to replace Chen long before bringing Wieters back intentionally or especially unintentionally.

Me neither ...they should tell him the they are planning a rebuild. Extend the QO and if in the one in a hundred thousand that he accepts than he can play next season on a bad team. Sell everyone but Machado, Schoop, Tillman, and Gausman off the roster and QO every free agent. The payroll will be small and Peter never makes saved money available later. So QO Oday and everyone else and tell them the plan upfront.

Actually, if you add Jones to those four and fill the rest of the roster in with the pre-arb players (Joseph, Paredes, Alvarez, Wright, Wilson, Givens, etc), you might still win 75 games.

Archived