Would Wieters actually Accept a QO?

FanSince88

Huh?

You make a QO to any player that you aren't going to sign that you expect some other team will sign. Doesn't really matter what you are willing to pay.

By your argument they won't make a QO to Weiters either because the QO will be way above what any team will pay in AAV.

I think it's easy to lose track of the fact that it's not just a bunch of numbers being discussed relative terms. It's a lot of real money is being put at risk and if you get too fancy with your "strategizing" or treat it too much like a game then you just might not be allowed to play with somebody else's real money any more.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's think objectively. If you were a major league GM and you wanted to upgrade your catcher position this offseason. What would you be your top offer for Matt' date=' including the loss of a draft pick?[/quote']

Depends on which team and how much my budget is. If I am Dave Dombrowski, my upper limit is much higher than if I am Neal Huntington. Perhaps the question is what is Fredi Gonzalez' upper limit?

It is also kind of difficult to project because there are comparatively few big catcher free agent contracts to go off of. Still, I came up with 4 years/$48M. Seems like a decent middle ground between the McAnn (5Y/$85M) and Martin (5Y/$80M) tier versus the Ruiz (3y/$26M) and Saltalmacchia (3Y/$21M) tier. Either way, a lot more guaranteed money than the QO.

Seeing as how we are do risk adverse, I'd be surprised if we offered one.

I agree. That's money they would put towards another target. With the fan base as convinced that he won't be here next year, I wonder what the clubhouse mood is regarding him. I remember Buck famously saying (and being criticized) for saying off the record (and then quoted) Matt would be a Yankee in a few years. I know I have been in a situation where I knew I was leaving a job before I officially announced it and I was already looking ahead. I'm wondering if with Nick already gone, he's felt all year as if one foot was already out the door. Did the Boras' pre-season meddlesome quotes have some effect?

Depends on which team and how much my budget is. If I am Dave Dombrowski, my upper limit is much higher than if I am Neal Huntington. Perhaps the question is what is Fredi Gonzalez' upper limit?

It is also kind of difficult to project because there are comparatively few big catcher free agent contracts to go off of. Still, I came up with 4 years/$48M. Seems like a decent middle ground between the McAnn (5Y/$85M) and Martin (5Y/$80M) tier versus the Ruiz (3y/$26M) and Saltalmacchia (3Y/$21M) tier. Either way, a lot more guaranteed money than the QO.

I can't imagine Wieters signing 4/48. If it comes to that he'd sign 1/12 and try to up his value.

Just wondering. He isn't terribly impressive so far this season. Decent enough hitting but he's still only playing every other day. I'm not sure he gets offered a deal if he turns down a QO. Know he's a Boras client and all, but Boras and he will want to avoid the humiliation of having to wait until June 2016 before they finally sign.

You offer it and pray he doesn't take it.

I could see Boston, ChA, Sea as creating a decent market for Wieters.

Pittsburgh has arguably a top 10 catcher, if not top 5, in the league btw. Doubt they will be looking for anyone.

Yes but does Boras want another client of his to have to wait until the middle of next spring training or next regular season to sign a deal for less than the QO? Would be a pretty bad look for Boras.

He doesn't care about his client! When Matt signs the absurd new deal he receives Boras will collect his $$$$$$$$$

Cruz was one of the better DH/OF in the league in 2013/2014 offseason. He still had to take a bath. And he wasn't coming off injury. If Wieters can't catch, his value plummets (unlike Cruz who is equally if not more valuable as a DH). If you're giving him a long-term deal, you're gambling that he's going to stay in good enough shape to continue being a catcher for all those years. No matter what, he's not playing more than 130-140 games a season, and that's very optimistic.

Cruz was suspended for 50 games in 2013 due to his association with PED's. Any team that took him had to (1) deal with reputational risk from their fan base, and (2) take the risk that, without PED's, Cruz simply would not be the same player. Even so, we don't know that Cruz didn't get any multi-year offers -- he just didn't get one he liked well enough to accept, and he preferred to bet on himself to have a good year in 2014 and improve his market, which obviously he did.

I don't think Wieters carries the risks that Cruz did, despite the fact that he is coming off TJ surgery. He basically has looked like himself offensively, and though I don't think his defense is 100% of what it was in prior years, he should be fine by next season.

Cruz was suspended for 50 games in 2013 due to his association with PED's. Any team that took him had to (1) deal with reputational risk from their fan base, and (2) take the risk that, without PED's, Cruz simply would not be the same player. Even so, we don't know that Cruz didn't get any multi-year offers -- he just didn't get one he liked well enough to accept, and he preferred to bet on himself to have a good year in 2014 and improve his market, which obviously he did.

I don't think Wieters carries the risks that Cruz did, despite the fact that he is coming off TJ surgery. He basically has looked like himself offensively, and though I don't think his defense is 100% of what it was in prior years, he should be fine by next season.

Cruz also carried the risk of a long suspension if he was caught again, like Davis.

If he thinks he is worth more than 4/$48M, then he is definitely not going to take a QO of 1/$16M before testing the market.

You can feel you are worth more than 4/48 and still understand the market isn't going to give you that contract until you prove you are healthy via something like 1/16.

I don't see a dime's worth of difference between Wieters' career numbers and Caleb's current production. One rather glaring difference is that if Wieters is offered, and accepts, a qualifying offer of say $16 million he would be around 15 times more expensive than Caleb assuming Caleb's salary is doubled.

Isn't there a better way of spending $15 million given the teams current needs? I think so, and I sure wouldn't be cavalier about throwing around $16 million out of a projected $120 million budget.

I don't see a dime's worth of difference between Wieters' career numbers and Caleb's current production. One rather glaring difference is that if Wieters is offered, and accepts, a qualifying offer of say $16 million he would be around 15 times more expensive than Caleb assuming Caleb's salary is doubled.

Isn't there a better way of spending $15 million given the teams current needs? I think so, and I sure wouldn't be cavalier about throwing around $16 million out of a projected $120 million budget.

There's downside either way, but I'd go with the fact that no player ever had accepted a QO, and take the risk that he'll be the first, rather than pass on a QO and lose the comp pick.

Caleb has been a godsend. I don't know if he will ever have another offensive year as good as this one, but he's certainly a worthy starting catcher.

Archived