The 2016 Rotation needs more Ground ball Pitchers

sportsfan8703

I'd rather have a flyball pitcher with a higher K rate than a groundball pitcher with a lower K rate, all other things being equal. "Groundball pitcher" is just a descriptive term that doesn't necessarily correlate to "good". If you run a correlation between GB% and ERA/FIP/xFIP you get a small negative result (say, -0.2) meaning there's only a small average connection between GB rate and quality. Max Scherzer has one of the lowest groundball rates in MLB. So does Aroldis Chapman. The lowest GB% of anyone who's pitched 50 innings is Tyler Clippard and his 2.50 ERA.

I'd rather have a flyball pitcher with a higher K rate than a groundball pitcher with a lower K rate, all other things being equal. "Groundball pitcher" is just a descriptive term that doesn't necessarily correlate to "good". If you run a correlation between GB% and ERA/FIP/xFIP you get a small negative result (say, -0.2) meaning there's only a small average connection between GB rate and quality. Max Scherzer has one of the lowest groundball rates in MLB. So does Aroldis Chapman. The lowest GB% of anyone who's pitched 50 innings is Tyler Clippard and his 2.50 ERA.

Perhaps, but I want my CL to be Britton-like! :hearts: :slytf: I can picture Chris Farley fawning over him in an SNL "interview" like he did with McCartney! He is awesome!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-chris-farley-show-mccartney/2868143

A big problem with our staff is the amount of fly ball pitchers that we have as SP's. We're obviously not going to go out and sign a top FA SP, and we can't put our chances of winning in Bundy and Harvey. With our defense we can manufacture a better rotation, even if it just appears to be making lateral moves. The focus needs to be placed on GB%. Here's how our SP stack up this year with GB%

Tillman 43.4%

Chen 40.8%

Ubaldo 48.8

Gausman 41.8%

Gonzo 40 %

Wright 43%

Wilson 52.4%

Ubaldo is really our only GB pitcher. He ranks 40th in all of MLB for SP. So we're losing Chen. The obvious replacement is Britton. Here's some names of interest that are either FA's or reasonable trade targets.

Brett Anderson 66.4%- Would we be willing to go 4/48?

Jorge De La Rosa 52.7%- He has 1 year and 12 million left w/Colorado

Tyson Ross 62.5%- Has 3 yrs of Arb left. Would cost a lot.

Gio Gonzalez 55.2%- 1yr/12 mill gtd with 2 optiion yrs for 12 million

Mike Leake 51.7%- Same boat as Anderson.

Tillman and Gausman are obviously locks for next years rotation. Trading Gonzo would be selling really low, especially with his success in the AL East. Has Ubaldo pitched well enough to trade? He actually does have a pretty good GB%. Wilson should be starting right now if it weren't for his injury. Britton is obviously the big gamble. If we resign O'day, then O'day could close with Givens, Wright, Drake, and Roe in the 6th-8th innings. My rotation would be

Tillman

B.Anderson

Gausman

Britton

Gonzo/Wilson

I'd try and get creative with Ubaldo and do a "bad" contract for a "bad" contract deal. Or attach Gonzo and Ubaldo together and get a corner bat or a SP prospect. T

houghts?

Not really worried about next season. I still think this team a wildcard.

Archived