Alvarez coming up per Roch.

bpilktree

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The man is 26. He obviously will not be optioned. He will be added to the 40 man roster.

Okay got it. I was thinking that for some reason your options are affected if you join the 40, tough morning for me.

I do know that some teams wait until Sept 1 for contract/pay/arb reasons, anything to conerning with Alvarez about that?

Okay got it. I was thinking that for some reason your options are affected if you join the 40, tough morning for me.

I do know that some teams wait until Sept 1 for contract/pay/arb reasons, anything to conerning with Alvarez about that?

Only if you wished to not add him to the 40 at all this year. And that would not make sense with a 26+ year old Cuban. His value is over the next 72 months. As a Major Leaguer.

They should have seen all they needed in 2013.

I don't agree. That was his first year playing baseball after a couple of idle years while escaping Cuba, and so they needed to let him build his strength back up and get some more experience in the high minors. I think at this point, we've seen him and he is what he is, a AAAA player. That's what he looked like in 2013, but I think it was worthwhile to give him the chance to prove he could be something more than that.

Improved? Sure. But how much growth would be needed for what we saw in 2013 to be a viable option and how likely is it that someone of his age could achieve that growth?

The thing about the age. I like what they said last week on 105.7 before the game, when talking about the cuban players. Sorry, I forgot who said it.

and I have to paraphrase, but the gist was, the cuban players are not as advanced as our guys, and takes them a bit longer to develop through the system. So when you look at their age and said, they are 26 and time has past them by, isn't as true for them.

I don't agree. That was his first year playing baseball after a couple of idle years while escaping Cuba, and so they needed to let him build his strength back up and get some more experience in the high minors. I think at this point, we've seen him and he is what he is, a AAAA player. That's what he looked like in 2013, but I think it was worthwhile to give him the chance to prove he could be something more than that.

Disagree all you like. The guy we saw in 2013, at the age of 26, was not going to transform himself into a valuable major league asset.

It didn't cost the O's to stash him away in the minors and see if he was a powerball ticket but the odds of that happening were extremely remote.

The thing about the age. I like what they said last week on 105.7 before the game, when talking about the cuban players. Sorry, I forgot who said it.

and I have to paraphrase, but the gist was, the cuban players are not as advanced as our guys, and takes them a bit longer to develop through the system. So when you look at their age and said, they are 26 and time has past them by, isn't as true for them.

It isn't the fact that they are more advanced that causes players to start declining with age.

It's age.

The O's Cuban players are all well over the age where defense peaks and they are rapidly approaching the point where other skills decline. What good is honing their game if the decline with age negates the improvement?

It isn't the fact that they are more advanced that causes players to start declining with age.

It's age.

The O's Cuban players are all well over the age where defense peaks and they are rapidly approaching the point where other skills decline. What good is honing their game if the decline with age negates the improvement?

Dang, I didn't know 26 was so old and ready for the walker. :)

Disagree all you like. The guy we saw in 2013, at the age of 26, was not going to transform himself into a valuable major league asset.

It didn't cost the O's to stash him away in the minors and see if he was a powerball ticket but the odds of that happening were extremely remote.

He had 58 plate appearances in 2013. We saw him for what was the equivalent of 15 major league games. I would weight any number of other sources of information more highly than his 2013 MLB numbers.

Archived