Alvarez coming up per Roch.

bpilktree

You do know that there is already a confirmed PED user in the hall right?

I am sure there are at least a dozen others that used Steroids and are in, they just are not brave enough to admit it.

Of course there has never been anything, to my knowledge, linking Edgar to steroids.

18b9p6rpx7e5gjpg.jpg

PUD don't count.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jim Rice got in because Boggs had a high OBP...
Didn't Boggs' career start about 3-4 years after Rice had his good 3-4 years? (Ok, looked it up and Rice did have two good years during the Boggs era, and probably two other years that weren't so good but where he got to 100 RBI thanks to Boggs.)
Wasn't Edgar on roids? Or are we just pretending he didn't totally fit that type.

a) Who cares? b) No evidence. c) I thought the prototypical "type" for a steroid user was a AAAA guy with 12 homers who needed the juice to make him into Jay Gibbons. Either that or a borderline relief pitcher.

Why doesn't Pud count?

Is this more of the same as folks knowing that guys in the 70's used steroids but since their heads didn't get bigger it doesn't count?

Prior to Canseco the steroids were just for fun, you know. Back before the '90s it wasn't about competition, dude, it was all about the experience, the purity of the game. Pud was just messing around, like the cat who pitched the no-hitter on LSD. It was expanding your mind, getting the experience of other existences. Bonds and his guys were all about the cash and the records and the fame, ruined it for everybody. We'll build them a separate Hall on Wall Street or something, dig?

Didn't Boggs' career start about 3-4 years after Rice had his good 3-4 years? (Ok, looked it up and Rice did have two good years during the Boggs era, and probably two other years that weren't so good but where he got to 100 RBI thanks to Boggs.)

a) Who cares? b) No evidence. c) I thought the prototypical "type" for a steroid user was a AAAA guy with 12 homers who needed the juice to make him into Jay Gibbons. Either that or a borderline relief pitcher.

55388428-jason-grimsley-of-the-baltimore-orioles-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=IOcLbQ1FmmA%2BPH7Vf4Ho4WkX0bBgd2GiOjRFVVxoEyQ%3D

A few points on Alvarez:

vs lefties

2014 AA 360/372/535/907

2014 AAA 333/393/451/844

2015 AAA 295/333/459/792

Norfolk is a tough place to hit but Alvarez has shown the ability to hit lefties. That is why he is being called up to hit against lefty starters that will be pitching for Texas this weekend. Clevenger hits righties but not so well vs lefties. I would think that Pearce and Alvarez will play a lot of LF and DH this weekend.

Alvarez numbers vs righties are not near as good and they may keep him as a platoon player until he can show he can improve them. He has three option years left for 2016-2018. Options are used when a player is send back to the minors (not when the player is called up). I don't think Alvarez will be going back to AAA this season so he will not use an option in 2015.

vs righties

2014 AA 286/313/465/778

2014 AAA 287/299/434/734

2015 AAA 268/294/410/703

Not real good but he did better hitting at Bowie than Norfolk. Harbor Park may be some that. Its hard to know at this point.

I few points on Alvarez:

vs lefties

2014 AA 360/372/535/907

2014 AAA 333/393/451/844

2015 AAA 295/333/459/792

Norfolk is a tough place to hit but Alvarez has shown the ability to hit lefties. That is why he is being called up to hit against lefty starters that will be pitching for Texas this weekend. Clevenger hits righties but not so well vs lefties. I would think that Pearce and Alvarez will play a lot of LF and DH this weekend.

Alvarez numbers vs righties are not near as good and they may keep him as a platoon player until he can show he can improve them. He has three option years left for 2016-2018. Options are used when a player is send back to the minors (not when the player is called up). I don't think Alvarez will be going back to AAA this season so he will not use an option in 2015.

vs righties

2014 AA 286/313/465/778

2014 AAA 287/299/434/734

2015 AAA 268/294/410/703

Not real good but he did better hitting at Bowie than Norfolk. Harbor Park may be some that. Its hard to know at this point.

I think he does not try as hard, since we do not permit him to play his natural position at all times.

I think he does not try as hard, since we do not permit him to play his natural position at all times.

Wow. Really? This guy defects from Cuba. Leaves his family behind to follow his dream of being a major league player and then you think he doesn't try hard because they play him in center instead of right at times. I know nothing about that but he doesn't seem like a guy that is not trying. He may not have the ability to be a well rounded ML player but I would hope that he in trying his best.

Wow. Really? This guy defects from Cuba. Leaves his family behind to follow his dream of being a major league player and then you think he doesn't try hard because they play him in center instead of right at times. I know nothing about that but he doesn't seem like a guy that is not trying. He may not have the ability to be a well rounded ML player but I would hope that he in trying his best.

I missed the smiley. Sorry.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With his 4th inning single tonight, Dariel Alvarez has now hit safely in 13 straight games, the longest streak by a Tides player this year!</p>— Norfolk Tides (@NorfolkTides) <a href="

">August 26, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#MessWithTX

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With his 4th inning single tonight, Dariel Alvarez has now hit safely in 13 straight games, the longest streak by a Tides player this year!?</p>— Norfolk Tides (@NorfolkTides) <a href="
">August 26, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#MessWithTX

.275/.305/.424 with 16 walks in 512 ABs this season. Texas might remember the Alamo, but plate discipline like that'll surely send them running...

...to the restrooms/concession areas, secure in the knowledge that they'll be missing nothing of consequence with Alvarez at the plate.

They should have seen all they needed in 2013.

You've said this before and it still doesn't make any sense. Players can and do improve. I'm not saying Urrutia is the answer in LF long term, but he's better than he was in 2013.

Archived