Manny Machado and attitude

winkies

I wouldn't normally make a thread like this. But since we would have to totally catch fire to make the playoffs why not do it now?

Over the few years of Manny being on the team he's kind of seemed a little off. Not a wacko, but kind of arrogant.

1. The entire A's fiasco last year

2. People calling him baby A-Rod

3. Hotdogging at 3B

4. Expletive filled rants

5. Contract complaining

I'm wondering if he's frustrated and pissed at the organization.

I think a lot comes back to the position switch and then the two injuries probably got annoying too. He was drafted as a SS with the #3 overall pick. He hasn't outgrown the position and he's IMO the 2nd most defensive talented infielder in the MLB.

Then they resigned a declining and older SS for Machado's remainder of his first contract. I could definitely see in his brain him thinking to himself "What is going on here?"

Look at this way: you'll only have to worry about it for a few more years.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not if know anything about sports. Oh Manny said some expletives one the record. Does anyone watch Hard Knocks? There's cursing in adult softball, kickball, tennis, golf leagues. Donaldson is a grade A jerk. Manny was right. The contract thing. We're all wishing we would have locked him up that offseason.

Play baseball the right way. Except for when you're using every PED out there for your time period. Stealing signs. Smoking cigarettes or using chewing tobacco while playing. Not integrating. Getting into on field brawls. Throwing at people's domes.

Yup that Manny. Can't believe he disrespects the game like this. Such a shame.

So Donaldson is a grade A jerk?They love him in Toronto. They like his swagger. Harper is loved in Washington. I guess if Donaldson was an Oriole we would like his swagger. Plays for the Blue Jays and he is a jerk.

By the way, can someone point me to where it was reported that Manny has been referred to as "baby A-Rod?" I have seen that on here a few times, but haven't seen a source. And, I think if somebody did say that, context is extremely important -- were they referring to attitude issues, or his baseball skills, and was it a serious derogatory comment, or was it just a case of teammates ribbing him?

By the way, can someone point me to where it was reported that Manny has been referred to as "baby A-Rod?" I have seen that on here a few times, but haven't seen a source. And, I think if somebody did say that, context is extremely important -- were they referring to attitude issues, or his baseball skills, and was it a serious derogatory comment, or was it just a case of teammates ribbing him?

it was me. I think it was in ribbing since he used to work out with ARod. I was driving to work and one of the reporters that Davis and Norris was interviewing mentioned it. They all sort of laughed and I thought it was funny. I have never heard it again.

it was me. I think it was in ribbing since he used to work out with ARod. I was driving to work and one of the reporters that Davis and Norris was interviewing mentioned it. They all sort of laughed and I thought it was funny. I have never heard it again.

See, this is exactly how crazy rumors get started around here. I'm not blaming you, obviously, but people have taken what you reported way out of context and now it's somehow evidence of Manny having an attitude problem. Crazy.

l41lMpmg4muNHi5qw.gif

What a selfish jerk! I can totally see the toxic environment he is helping create!

Joke aside, Manny acts emotionally immature at times and I really hated the bat throwing incident. But this stuff is incredibly, incredibly mild and always seems to be an immature response to frustration, not spousal abuse and the like. I think there's nothing to worry about with Manny.

When I went to Fanfest in 2014, a fan asked Manny if he wishes he was still playing shortstop. He gave a little grin, shrugged his shoulders and said, "well, I did win a platinum glove at third base."

I see some signs of an attitude from Manny at times, but fundamentally he's a good teammate and a great player. I hope we'll be able to hold on to him beyond 2018.

From my perspective that's a better plan than the Eddie Murray circa 1985 plan that a lot of folks seem to have. Infer a bunch of negative stuff from body language and heat-of-moment stuff, make up attitude problem, blame losses on him, talk about how he's costing the team games despite exceptional play, then trade him to the Dodgers for Juan Bell. I guess either way is okay, just I kind of prefer the Frobby plan.

From my perspective that's a better plan than the Eddie Murray circa 1985 plan that a lot of folks seem to have. Infer a bunch of negative stuff from body language and heat-of-moment stuff, make up attitude problem, blame losses on him, talk about how he's costing the team games despite exceptional play, then trade him to the Dodgers for Juan Bell. I guess either way is okay, just I kind of prefer the Frobby plan.

As long as he plays for the Orioles he is fine. Goes to the Yankees or Red Sox,no more love for Manny.:)

What a selfish jerk! I can totally see the toxic environment he is helping create!

Joke aside, Manny acts emotionally immature at times and I really hated the bat throwing incident. But this stuff is incredibly, incredibly mild and always seems to be an immature response to frustration, not spousal abuse and the like. I think there's nothing to worry about with Manny.

Marichal-Roseboro.jpg

That was EBW and Dick Young and a couple of the later famous Orioles beat guys.

Archived