Our Luck Ran Out

weams

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those three games where we scored 54 runs inflate our pythag a bit. Every team has some lopsided games, but to have three that extreme is highly unusual.

I also feel we have been playing catch-up a high percentage of the time. We seem to score a lot of runs in games where our starter failed and we are trying to catch up, but fall short. The bullpen has been good and hasn't blown many saves, but the save opportunities haven't been there often enough because of our starting pitching deficiencies. And that's not luck.

For the record, I'm not concerned about the odds of making the playoffs. Why not? Because this team doesn't have the pitching to do go very far. A 500 record this late in August is not very reassuring to me. But, I LOVE seeing these some new blood get a change. Without any big trades, we need to see what these guys look like before 2016 starts, and I've really liked what I see- pitching wise that is. That gives me comfort since I know the O's will not "overspend", we'll have money to spend wherever else we need. Call me a quitter or whatever, but despite the overall record I'm very optimistic for next season, regardless of what happens this year. I didn't feel that way at the All Star Break, so I am at least, content.

sfosfan

I once saw Bill Walton spinning that wheel. Apparently he likes Costello along with the Dead.

One of the most fun-filled tours I've ever seen. Elvis as top-hatted emcee was so cool. I rarely ever try to meet my musical heroes anymore, but my girlfriend of the time insisted. Outside the tour bus in Asheville NC in 2011. 0a754007f5b128583f2725964e74f594.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the most fun-filled tours I've ever seen. Elvis as top-hatted emcee was so cool. I rarely ever try to meet my musical heroes anymore, but my girlfriend of the time insisted. Outside the tour bus in Asheville NC in 2011. 0a754007f5b128583f2725964e74f594.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your Aim is true.

We have been somewhat unlucky with run differential and one run games this season, after being lucky in 2012 and 2014. In the long run luck tends to even out.

But the O's performance against good teams this year is no fluke. They are consistently overmatched against the best teams. The O's have a few championship caliber players--Machado, Davis, Jones, Britton, O'Day--but top to bottom their roster is not good enough.

Archived