Our Luck Ran Out

weams

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm at the point in the season where I look for anything good in each game (even the losses, which are a lot more frequent than wins lately) that I can. Not much to be found here tonight except the fielding of Janish and that nice one hop throw by Alvarez. And I say Janish as I'm admiring his use of old school fundamentals of fielding. Both hands down, getting in front of every ball that you can (Brooks did this) rather than side-stepping it. I know these are the best of the best at this level, but so many guys rely on their reflexes as opposed to fundamentals. It got Schoop in trouble tonight on one ball. Manny is from Planet Reflex, so he gets to balls and has the quickness and arm of a zen master. But for guys who don't have that, it's so good to see them put on a clinic. I had very little talent, but I can't tell you how many bruises and bumps I had on my chest from balls hitting me in the chest, collarbone or belly on bad bounces. Our coaches drove that point into the ground that it's easier to bring a glove up than down, any ball that bounces off of your chest can be picked up with a no-panic throw to follow. The trend of acting like a matador for ground balls or one hoppers really bothered me over the last few decades. Only a few can get away with that. And it still bites everyone who does it eventually. It's a breath of fresh air to see this while Janish is up. Hardy is the same way. And throws over the top, which is fairly rare.

I wonder if there would be any consideration in the front office of trading Adam in the off season. I think we could easily finish last place in our division next year with or without Adam. If we're going to have a bad season then maybe restocking the farm system via trade would be something to look at.

I'm not saying I necessarily want to but it's something that might need to be considered to help build a strong team for the future.

But overall, things simply haven’t clicked the way they did in 2012 and 2014, and if the O’s miss out on the 2015 postseason, it is going to be a soul-searching offseason for Dan Duquette and Co., because their plan forward is more “choose your own adventure” than it is “here is our clear road map to success.”

Archived