The Battle for .500

Moose Milligan

Does this team finish above .500?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Does this team finish above .500?

• Yes! (but just barely)
    • Nope. Heading into the abyss.

I voted yes. Just by 1 game or 2. (The same as I did in this poll prior to the start of the season.

But Buck might not decide to play all of our FA's and give an open audition for the guys most likely returning next yr to show what they have.

I don't know :noidea:

So considering how we are under .500 playing, all our impeding F/A's are you saying we will play better or worse if Buck benches them for open auditions? I'm not sure there would be much difference either way. Unfortunately we're not going to bench any of our putrid starting pitchers.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So considering how we are under .500 playing, all our impeding F/A's are you saying we will play better or worse if Buck benches them for open auditions? I'm not sure there would be much difference either way. Unfortunately we're not going to bench any of our putrid starting pitchers.

I think Gonzo eventually gets shut down if he doesn't improve.

I voted that they will finish above .500.

(1) I know that right now the team doesn't look like it will ever win another game, but no team is as bad as they look during a prolonged losing streak. At some point the team will start playing better--maybe too late to make a playoff push, but not too late to finish above .500.

(2) Buck will not stop playing his regulars. Even if the team is eliminated officially from the playoff hunt, it will still likely be playing teams who are in the playoff hunt. Buck will play to win those games, and he knows how to exploit the expanded rosters better than any other manager.

Having said that, I will take no pleasure from seeing the team win some meaningless games at the end of September to wind up above .500. Once the team is officially out of the playoffs, I'd be fine with seeing them lose to improve their draft position. I remember when the O's lost out on drafting Teixeira because they swept the Yankees in a meaningless series at the end of the previous season.

With the season heading into the final month and the playoff chances slipping seemingly day by day, this rest of this season (for me, anyway) is about individual performances (Manny, Schoop, Davis, Gausman, Givens) and seeing if we can finish above .500 for the 4th season in a row.

It'll be a hard road, I believe we have the 2nd toughest schedule in the league moving forward.

What say you, do we finish above .500 or not? State your arguments for or against.

HARD card to play.

[video=youtube;Jxe3G7OdwqI]

With the season heading into the final month and the playoff chances slipping seemingly day by day, this rest of this season (for me, anyway) is about individual performances (Manny, Schoop, Davis, Gausman, Givens) and seeing if we can finish above .500 for the 4th season in a row.

It'll be a hard road, I believe we have the 2nd toughest schedule in the league moving forward.

What say you, do we finish above .500 or not? State your arguments for or against.

I'm hoping for a bottom 10 finish and a protected 1st rounder. Maybe they can sign a top FA and still have 3 top 40 picks.

Archived