Playing lousy feels weird

winkies

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would think the front office isn't stupid. I know these guys have financial models that show that they sell more seats, ad space, concessions, fan gear, etc when the team is winning rather than losing. Oh, not to mention they are trying to build viewership and a successful TV network. That isn't going to happen by signing Parmalee types this offseason.

I expect them to go "halfway" like they always do. They will let Davis, Wieters and Chen walk but sign a few quality guys. I expect payroll to be $105-110m next year, with the Os citing a need for flexibility, "we like our guys" and the market overvaluing free agents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yet again the repetitive, "I told you so" stuff....

It only gets brought out during a rough stretch and then disappears when things go well. For now

1335927332689_6492296.png

Do you really think this is about "I told you so...?" I take ZERO pleasure in this season and the team's current fortunes.

My displeasure is really aimed at two places:

1) DD and the FO treating the fanbase like simps.

2) The contingent of the OH who snarked me to death whenever I mentioned that nothing was happening in the offseason.

I will say it again. 2012 was lightning in a bottle.

2013 was solid but we didn't go the distance.

2014 we got lucky that the rest of the AL East simultaneously tanked while we stayed hot, plus we managed to sign a rebounding Cruz after PED issues.

2015 was the year we should have gone for it - I mean REALLY gone for it - if you don't know what that looks like, see Toronto.

I will not be shocked if the Blue Jays win the WS.

If you think I'm happy the Orioles are losing, then you'd be 100% wrong. I've been around since 2005. God knows I wanted some daylight in all of this. We got it for a short while and it looks like we're turning back toward the darkness.

That's what I'm afraid of.

Do you not see this is a possibility?

MSK

Do you really think this is about "I told you so...?" I take ZERO pleasure in this season and the team's current fortunes.

I'm going to stop you right there. Your very first sentence was "I told you so"

Go back to the posts from November 2014 through February 2015.

Bottom line for me is that the offseason plan seemed to be this....lets hope we can be as good as last year. That is not how a franchise that values championships opportunities operates. I do not understand the mentality of ....well if this guy and this guy can do this and these guys improves we might be as good as last year.Unless your world series champions, what you were last year was not good enough.

They lost one good/allstar player, one aging player who contributed and a reliever who while was not here long had an impact. We did nothing to improve a SP staff that seemed primed to take a step back from their 2nd half numbers last season as those numbers were significantly better than one would expect given the groups history. We did nothing to protect those pitchers by adding offense to pad their wiggle room. We instead essentially replaced the guy who was the team MVP last year with unproven, inconsistent AAAAish players and then people act shocked it did not work out? Ok

When you lose that and do not bring in a single player of consequence, you bound to take a step back and that is exactly what happened.

Although I agree with what you have said, I still think that the first half Bud Norris disappearing act and the second half Jiminez / Gonzalez suckfest is all it really took to put this team out of playoff contention. BTW, I love how so many people think Chen isn't worth big $...because the cavalry?! Next year's SP could very well be Tillman and pray for 4 days of rain.

Just not the Os year. 80% of the blame is on duquette for being distracted by Toronto opportunity. He didn't improve the team whatsoever.

20% is on relying on guys whose "luck" ran out. Some of the SPs who the past few years rival evaluators were surprised at their overachievement (Gonzalez, Norris, etc).

Texas is going to clinch the WC2 IMO and tbh if I was an AL team, I wouldn't want to face them in postseason. Big bats and capable enough pitching with hamels now anchoring rotation.

Time to reload towards 2016 and get rid of duquette if he's still butthurt over Toronto.

You keep saying that the 3 years of winning was luck. So if we won this year wouldnt it have been luck toо since it was basically the same cast of characters?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If we won this year it would have been because all the AAAA risks and the SP kept playing over their heads.

Known quantities keep you in the game. Low-cost dumpster dives get you eliminated from contention.

I guess I shouldn't ever use the word "luck" - it should be playing above their career averages.

MSK

If we won this year it would have been because all the AAAA risks and the SP kept playing over their heads.

Known quantities keep you in the game. Low-cost dumpster dives get you eliminated from contention.

I guess I shouldn't ever use the word "luck" - it should be playing above their career averages.

MSK

Known quantities cost a lot of money. Proven SP costs money. We lucked into Ubaldo on the cheap. We saw what Porcello got. We'll see what Chen gets. You're right this was the year to go for it. But we also needed Bundy, Gausman or Harvey to be a TOR starter. Right now Gausman has been a solid/average starter that's been a little unlucky. We've been a couple players short all year.

This is why I always sad screw that play for the future. All the purist went "Wait till Bundy comes. Wait till E-Rod comes" Nope, we should've traded them when we had the chance and drastically improved our ball club. We as a fanbase should have known that winning doesn't come easy and we should have grab it by the baseball and ran with it. (or the Orioles front office rather) While we're not out of it, its pretty darn close and it sucks. To go 8 games away from glory to MAYBE hovering around .500. Ain't the beer piss warm.

I just don't let a losing season get too me

that much.

I don't believe Buck is interested in any rebuild. Maybe Buck will take the Toronto job. He's done that before.

Which Toronto job? Manager or a promotion to the front office? Either way, Buck is under contract. Wasn't he released from his jobs in NY, Arizona, and Texas?

MSK

Sandoval, Ramirez, Swisher, Cuddyer, LaRoche are all Known quantities.

Archived