Why trade Roberts?

turtlebowl

Looking ahead, if you lock up Brian, hopefully sign Texiera next year and find a serviceable shortstop this thing could turn around quickly. We have minor league depth at 3rd, a great catching prospect and bigtime pitching prospects thruout the system.

Don't expect any big time signings, such as Tex in the next 5 yrs. MacPhail is as cheap of a GM as there is in baseball. Even if Tex gave Balt a hometown discount, MacP would still pass. I guarantee you, this rebuilding process MacP has started on, will be your course for the next half decade.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you ever taken a class on how to form a sentence?

How is it that this guy continues to break board rules but hasn't been banned?

Actually, just about every sentence in the post was a complete sentence. Maybe he used "..." where he should have used dashes, but it was rather coherent.

I would agree that it was a bit choppy and he could have borken it up a little bit better, but he shouldn't be banned for incomplete sentences.

Was it really more of an issue with what he had to say, rather than how it was written?

Wow, as a Cubs fan, I can't wait to give up half the farm to the lowly Orioles for a 30 year old 2B whose contract is up in two seasons. Roberts is just whipped cream on feces in Baltimore. You know it. McF knows it. Roberts knows it. I'm sure he'll be so happy in Baltimore, of all cities, this year staring up at the other four teams in the division all season long.

After 2 long, painful years, he'll be 32 or close to 33 years old. He's in his prime and needs to be with a team that has a shot. The O's blow. He'll end up being miserable. I doubt he'll see the deadline in an O's uniform. Every day he stays with the O's means one less day for a lucky recipient to use his services, which will drive his value down.

The best deals you'll see for Roberts are right now.

The imminent need for a Cubs WS win trumps anything at this point, but don't jerk yourself off over a sentimental fan favorite. It's not a HOF player we're discussing trading for here, regardless of what you might think of his value as a fan.

Everything you said is in fact true, imo. But, most people on this board would rather keep Brian for the remainder of his contract and let him walk without receiving any thing in return.In fact that is evident from the lack of response to your post.

Don't expect any big time signings, such as Tex in the next 5 yrs. MacPhail is as cheap of a GM as there is in baseball. Even if Tex gave Balt a hometown discount, MacP would still pass. I guarantee you, this rebuilding process MacP has started on, will be your course for the next half decade.

I agree with you to a certain point. As long as Angelos owns the team, expect the unexpected and that said, I could see him making a run at Tex - especially if he gets tired of looking at green seats. As for Roberts, he's an ace card you hold until 7/31 and play it, and only play it, when you find someone that is stupid or desperate or both. Someone usually emerges..:)

Everything you said is in fact true, imo. But, most people on this board would rather keep Brian for the remainder of his contract and let him walk without receiving any thing in return.In fact that is evident from the lack of response to your post.

I think the reason no one replied to that post is because we're tired of these Cubs fans that come over here and bash this team and Roberts relentlessly.

There are some GREAT Cubs posters on this board...unfortunately, this guy borders on the ridiculous and lowers the credibility of all Cubs posters. Guys like davearm, Harry Carry, and others have made critical posts without sounding like jerks. It would be nice if all of them were more like these guys.

I think the whole trade Roberts thing is much simpler than most make it out. The O's don't have a replacement in the system that in the next couple of years that would project even as a league average second baseman. I think most of us believe at worst Roberts would be that even in his mid thirties. We already need a shortstop. How much harder will it be to find two middle infielders.

This is with the assumption that we can sign him. I would wait till this off season to see how the Texiera thing plays out. If he signs in Baltimore, Roberts could probably be convinced to do the same. If we don't sign Texiera, even though the value may be less, can still try to move him next off season.

This thing can turnn around quickly with Roberts and Tex on the right side of the infield. If next year neither of them are on the right side we may be a long way off from fielding a competitive team

True, but I just don't see the upside in trading our last valuable piece for guys like Cedeno and Veal.

That's why the trade has not been made. MacPhail hasn't been offered the value he wants. I think that will change during the season. If a team can get Brian to boost their pennant run and not give up players that impact them this year, someone is likely to make that deal.

Many of you are thinking that the Roberts deal is tied to the Tex signing. First, I really can't see how Tex is going to sign with the O's. You have deep-pocket teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, and Angels who would want/need a 1B next year. Secondly, those teams are all proven winners, while the O's are at least a few years away. As has been stated often, Roberts' trade value is at it's peak right now and he has discussed (asked) about being traded and playing for a winner. While it might be enjoyable watching Roberts play for the O's two more years (or less), now is the time to trade him and move on with rebuilding.

That's why the trade has not been made. MacPhail hasn't been offered the value he wants. I think that will change during the season. If a team can get Brian to boost their pennant run and not give up players that impact them this year, someone is likely to make that deal.

Do you think McPhail is going to accept a lesser deal than the Cubs' offer? Midseason trades usually bring less in return and your description of "not give up players that impact them this year" sounds a lot like the Cubs offer.

Many of you are thinking that the Roberts deal is tied to the Tex signing. First, I really can't see how Tex is going to sign with the O's. You have deep-pocket teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, and Angels who would want/need a 1B next year. Secondly, those teams are all proven winners, while the O's are at least a few years away. As has been stated often, Roberts' trade value is at it's peak right now and he has discussed (asked) about being traded and playing for a winner. While it might be enjoyable watching Roberts play for the O's two more years (or less), now is the time to trade him and move on with rebuilding.

Doesn't matter, IMO. Angelos will not allow any of these teams to outbid him for the likes of Teixeira.

I understand we are rebuilding. You don't have to move every asset just because you are rebuilding. I don't know what our chances are of signing Tex. I'm just saying if he would sign here, the team could turn around quicker.

We don't have any middle infielders. If the were easy to come by Hernandez and Fahey would not be competing for our starting shortstop.

I think the reason no one replied to that post is because we're tired of these Cubs fans that come over here and bash this team and Roberts relentlessly.

There are some GREAT Cubs posters on this board...unfortunately, this guy borders on the ridiculous and lowers the credibility of all Cubs posters. Guys like davearm, Harry Carry, and others have made critical posts without sounding like jerks. It would be nice if all of them were more like these guys.

Sentiment aside. I do believe Brian is traded. Soon. jmho

How do I know he won't resign? 1. as a competitor, I'm sure he'd prefer to play for a contendor if given the choice. Right now he's simply being held hostage as Tejada was before him. 2. It would make even less sense to resign him than it is to keep him now.

Archived