Who was DD trying to get?

TouchemAll

Unless he was trying to unload free agents to be for guys who can help us down the road, I'm glad he didn't get anything done. Duquette needs to listen to Kenny Rogers. He's gotta "know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away. Know when to run!"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless he was trying to unload free agents to be for guys who can help us down the road, I'm glad he didn't get anything done. Duquette needs to listen to Kenny Rogers. He's gotta "know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away. Know when to run!"

If I were guessing, I'd say he was kicking the tires on Shields for next season and beyond and could not get the contract relief required.

If I were guessing, I'd say he was kicking the tires on Shields for next season and beyond and could not get the contract relief required.

I'm skeptical of this scenario. In any event, it would be difficult to make the numbers work as Shields is owed big money the next couple years since his contract is heavily backloaded. I'm not sure the Padres would eat enough salary to make DD (or me) comfortable with that acquisition. Maybe if they were really creative and moved Ubaldo in the deal.

Shields is owed 21 million a year over the next three years. He is 33. How much would the Padres have to pay?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/jul/30/padres-james-shields-regression-trade-rumors/

No intent to insult anybody. It would be interesting if DD was trying to make a Shields acquisition work. His numbers are tough to make work.

Really tough. And you insulted no one. I was just spinning a tale. Thinking through who he could have been looking at up until 90 minutes before the end. And since it was a buy, not a sell,, what motivations might be in play. And also, who had passed through that we knew, or were relatively certain. And who on the other end was really panicked on their mistake.

Archived