The O's keep improving their draft position

wildcard

That works for me. For a long time I maintained, only half joking, that in order to claim the first overall draft pick the "winning" owner and GM both had to step up to the podium in full clown costumes in order to claim their prize. That would work too. It's only appropriate that the most pathetic loser should be recognized as such.

Yes because its not enough for you that a person be down and as you put it, a "pathetic loser" .....no you gotta further humiliate, degrade and punish them for being so pathetic. Yea....your a real peach :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If a team with a protected pick signs a player with a pick. does that team still get a pick at the end of the first round?

So if the phillies have the number 1 pick and sign Davis and end up forfeiting a 2nd round pick. Would the O's get a pick at the end of the 1st or 2nd round?

I think the Phillies lose their second but the O's would still get a supplemental 1st. Pretty sure that is how it works.

I believe that only the top ten pick is protected so if had a top ten and we got picks for MW, CD and Chen but signed one guy who cost a pick we would only net two of the 3 picks for MW, CD and Chen. If thats wrong someone please feel free to correct it.

Yes because its not enough for you that a person be down and as you put it, a "pathetic loser" .....no you gotta further humiliate, degrade and punish them for being so pathetic. Yea....your a real peach :)

You so thoroughly and consistently see things that aren't there that I worry about your ability to drive. That being said, I'm totally, absolutely, 100% behind the clown suit idea. Forget half joking.

There should be some optimism here based on the early results from the 2013 and 2015 draft. 2014 is kind of a lost draft because we lost our top two picks for Ubaldo and Cruz, and then took a flier on Connaughton with the 4th pick.

2013 http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/133337-2013-Orioles-Draft-Tracker

2015 http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/148424-2015-Oriole-Draft-Tracker

The O's got a lot of "prospects" in those drafts. Plus they showed they were willing to spend by using almost all the allotted pool money.

Here's a way too early mock for next year just for fun:

http://www.fueledbysports.com/2016-mlb-mock-draft/

I think the Phillies lose their second but the O's would still get a supplemental 1st. Pretty sure that is how it works.

I believe that only the top ten pick is protected so if had a top ten and we got picks for MW, CD and Chen but signed one guy who cost a pick we would only net two of the 3 picks for MW, CD and Chen. If thats wrong someone please feel free to correct it.

You don't get their pick. No one gets their pick. Their pick disappears and you get an extra pick in between rounds.

There should be some optimism here based on the early results from the 2013 and 2015 draft. 2014 is kind of a lost draft because we lost our top two picks for Ubaldo and Cruz, and then took a flier on Connaughton with the 4th pick.

2013 http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/133337-2013-Orioles-Draft-Tracker

2015 http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/148424-2015-Oriole-Draft-Tracker

The O's got a lot of "prospects" in those drafts. Plus they showed they were willing to spend by using almost all the allotted pool money.

Here's a way too early mock for next year just for fun:

http://www.fueledbysports.com/2016-mlb-mock-draft/

I really don't enjoy saying things like this, but I have to considering it's so hard for the handful of GOOD draft people to get eyes on their work. That "too early" version is missing on a good number of kids that were known "guys" by August 2015. If this is a site of one of your friends or someone you know, I certainly won't tell you not to publish the links. But if was just a google find than I'd advise dumping it in the trash and looking elsewhere for draft content.

I really don't enjoy saying things like this, but I have to considering it's so hard for the handful of GOOD draft people to get eyes on their work. That "too early" version is missing on a good number of kids that were known "guys" by August 2015. If this is a site of one of your friends or someone you know, I certainly won't tell you not to publish the links. But if was just a google find than I'd advise dumping it in the trash and looking elsewhere for draft content.

More than a lot of sports, the MLB draft picture is so fluid and murky that it is particularly difficult to predict very far out. Obviously talents like Harper, Machado, Strausburgh, and the like are pretty easy to peg as top 5 picks, a lot behind that though can change rapidly depending on how guys are playing, injury, and information about how much money guys want to forgo college etc.... How those domino's fall seems to change much more rapidly for the MLB draft which is more based on projecting the future ability of a player then in the NFL or NBA where the talent being drafted has been better sifted through time and is more refined. Makes teh MLB draft kinda fascinating to me in its own right.

More than a lot of sports, the MLB draft picture is so fluid and murky that it is particularly difficult to predict very far out. Obviously talents like Harper, Machado, Strausburgh, and the like are pretty easy to peg as top 5 picks, a lot behind that though can change rapidly depending on how guys are playing, injury, and information about how much money guys want to forgo college etc.... How those domino's fall seems to change much more rapidly for the MLB draft which is more based on projecting the future ability of a player then in the NFL or NBA where the talent being drafted has been better sifted through time and is more refined. Makes teh MLB draft kinda fascinating to me in its own right.

I agree, certainly. But history tells us with some certainty there are certain profile types who, if they perform in a certain manner during the summer, shoot up follow lists for front office. To the point where a bad spring doesn't necessarily erase the first round tag. I'd think a handful or so of those types of players are missing from that mock.

I thought the MLB draft 1st pick used to alternate between leagues each year? If that happened you might not see what has happened in the NL this year. The NL could have the top 6 picks or something crazy like 8 of the top 10. That's why the Cubs having 80 wins right now is a joke. The NL did some some serious tanking this year.

Archived