Why is Reimold hitting leadoff?

winkies

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Resorting to prerogative language?

Even if this was true for Reynolds it doesn't make it a universal truth.

Baseball talk isn't exclusive to former players, managers, etc. I'm just saying when Harold Reynolds says something about baseball a lot of times he knows what he's talking about.

This was just from a quick google search and the first (or second) thing that popped up:

www.billjamesonline.com/stats71/

Now, this is only from one season and I didn't look into it much, but it does seem like Leadoff hitters get a higher percentage of fastballs. However, this could simply be because leadoff hitters generally tend to have less power and pitchers think they can overpower them with fastballs. With someone like Manny, pitchers may still pitch to him like he's in the middle of the lineup, even if he is batting leadoff.

Here's a better question. Why is Reimold still on this team? The only skill he has is drawing walks. He isn't hitting for average or power and he's absolutely horrid defensively. Why not give Dariel Alvarez or Trey Mancini or somebody else a look who might have a long-term future with this team?

Here's a better question. Why is Reimold still on this team? The only skill he has is drawing walks. He isn't hitting for average or power and he's absolutely horrid defensively. Why not give Dariel Alvarez or Trey Mancini or somebody else a look who might have a long-term future with this team?

Did you miss the part where he has scored a half dozen runs in his last few starts?

BTW Alvarez doesn't have a MLB future and Mancini, as I am very sure you are aware isn't on the 40.

Baseball talk isn't exclusive to former players, managers, etc. I'm just saying when Harold Reynolds says something about baseball a lot of times he knows what he's talking about.

Harold Reynolds is easily the dumbest guy on MLB Network, and that's really hard to do. There's an entire Twitter account dedicated to horrible Harold Reynolds quotes. Just a week ago I heard him say Joey Votto has had a great bounceback season because he stopped taking so many walks and started swinging the bat.

Joey Votto has walked in 20.4% of his plate appearances this year, a career high.

This was just from a quick google search and the first (or second) thing that popped up:

www.billjamesonline.com/stats71/

Now, this is only from one season and I didn't look into it much, but it does seem like Leadoff hitters get a higher percentage of fastballs. However, this could simply be because leadoff hitters generally tend to have less power and pitchers think they can overpower them with fastballs. With someone like Manny, pitchers may still pitch to him like he's in the middle of the lineup, even if he is batting leadoff.

It's like how having power leads to walk, not how walking leads to power.

Why does it matter now? I don't really care either way.

He won't be on the team next season. IMO

Probably not, but if all they need is a DH/PH against LH pitching then he could still be a fit. (876 OPS VS LHP this season)

I didn't like the O's wasting a roster spot on Young in that role and I won't think it's a good idea next year either.

Archived