Buck says Walker deserving of a call up

wildcard

He's not too slow. In fact, he may well be our first baseman next season.

I stand by my remark. I will say that being called up at the end of season could lend itself to a guy not at his best, but the amount of ML ABs has nothing to do with bat speed. I have watched video where he did look better albeit against MiL competition.

I believe you could be right about him playing 1B so of course if that happens I hope he succeeds.

Mancini intrigues me more, but we won't see him this year in Baltimore.

Assuming the Orioles make upgrades elsewhere (rotation and corner outfield), I'm okay with Walker breaking camp as the first baseman. If he hasn't shown anything in a month or two (he probably won't), then bring up Mancini.

I think it would be very foolish to have him starting at 1st base. He'll be a 25 year old rookie who's struck out over 130 times each of the last 2 minor league seasons. Maybe you have him as a platoon guy starting against lefties. This season, he was much better against lefties (.921 OPS vs .683), though last season he was better against righties.

I think it would be very foolish to have him starting at 1st base. He'll be a 25 year old rookie who's struck out over 130 times each of the last 2 minor league seasons. Maybe you have him as a platoon guy starting against lefties. This season, he was much better against lefties (.921 OPS vs .683), though last season he was better against righties.

I do agree with your post.

We could fill positions with platoons using Reimold, Walker, Paredes and Clevenger. Work with Paredes in LF and Clevenger at C in ST. Spend the big money on bringing Davis back and use platoons to fill out DH and LF. We tried that this year but up nobody hit in the first half.

What do you say about the following:

Sign Davis and move him to 3B

Move Manny to SS

Walker to 1B (if he doesn't work out replace him with Mancini)

Move Hardy to platoon with Schoop at 2B or part time duty. Next year he will be one year older and more susceptible to injury, etc., etc.

Too bad Mancini doesn't hit left handed. Could have a made a nice platoon since Walker smashes left handed pitching.

I think Walker is undersold on this board. In the latest prospect debates few were willing to include him in the current top 10. I still think he's solidly in there. Has hit everywhere he's played in the minors although the average is down a bit this year in Norfolk, as to be expected.

Move Manny to SS

Move Hardy to platoon with Schoop at 2B or part time duty. Next year he will be one year older and more susceptible to injury, etc., etc.

Maybe a few years ago, you do those Davis and Manny moves, but probably not now. I don't think Davis can make the move back to 3rd at this point in his career.

I'd look at signing Justin Morneau. Colorado has an option on him for 9 mil and likely won't keep him. His injury history and age should keep his price down. And he hits left-handed - unlike Mancini and Walker. If the O's don't keep Davis, they'll likely want to add some left-handed hitting.

Maybe a few years ago, you do those Davis and Manny moves, but probably not now. I don't think Davis can make the move back to 3rd at this point in his career.

I'd look at signing Justin Morneau. Colorado has an option on him for 9 mil and likely won't keep him. His injury history and age should keep his price down. And he hits left-handed - unlike Mancini and Walker. If the O's don't keep Davis, they'll likely want to add some left-handed hitting.

Platoon him with Pearce.

Move Manny to SS

I think it would make more sense to move Hardy to 3B, as that would reduce the amount of ground he would have to cover without causing him to learn to throw differently. The throw from 2B is across the body. It takes a toll, and it's not something guys learn in their 30s, for the most part.

Archived