Mostly non-game related notes from yesterday's game

Carllamy

I went to the game last night because it was $10 night against the BoSox.

The are now selling a nice selection of New Era Orioles hats with the Maryland flag as part of the decoration. There is a new good-looking one that is a black cap with the flag on the bill.

Jonathan Schoop's ops is good at 828, but he only has 9 walks. I guess it is all coming from getting multi-base hits.

I was standing at the bullpen area when the BoSox starter got pulled. Relievers started getting up. One went into the bullpen bathroom, and from where I stood I could see a sink/mirror in the bathroom. The shelf in front of the mirror held a bunch of bottles. All I could recognize was a can of Barbasol. The rest looked like bottles of hand lotion. The reliever washes his face, checks out the bottles on the shelf and selects what looks like a green bottle of hand lotion. Opens the bottle, and puts a big blob of lotion on the inside of his left wrist, rubs it in, and leaves the bathroom. Who puts lotion on the inside of their wrist? I think the next time that guy pitches Buck needs to ask the umpire to check out that guy's left wrist.

After the top of the 13th inning, the O's announced that fans could move to whatever seat they wanted to in the lower seating bowl, which created a mass migration to the seats behind home plate, myself included. This emptied out the upper deck nicely for the Ushers up there, who all came down to the ends of their sections to watch the game, got the fans fired up - they were noticeably louder once all concentrated together - and allowed me to see the movement on the Boston pitcher's pitches. Good eyes on the part of Parra and Machado. Arco was throwing some kind of hard offering that started in the middle of the plate, would travel about half-way to the mound and then slide off out of the strike zone in the second half of its trajectory. Parra and Machado didn't bite at all, letting those pitches go for balls.

I like walking around the stadium during the game. I saw a number of hot dog vendors wearing red and white striped jerseys, giving them a nice old-timey look. I only saw hot dog vendors dressed that way. I wonder if this is a new style the front office is gong for, or it was merely some guys deciding to dress that way.

I went to the game last night because it was $10 night against the BoSox.

The are now selling a nice selection of New Era Orioles hats with the Maryland flag as part of the decoration. There is a new good-looking one that is a black cap with the flag on the bill.

Jonathan Schoop's ops is good at 828, but he only has 9 walks. I guess it is all coming from getting multi-base hits.

I was standing at the bullpen area when the BoSox starter got pulled. Relievers started getting up. One went into the bullpen bathroom, and from where I stood I could see a sink/mirror in the bathroom. The shelf in front of the mirror held a bunch of bottles. All I could recognize was a can of Barbasol. The rest looked like bottles of hand lotion. The reliever washes his face, checks out the bottles on the shelf and selects what looks like a green bottle of hand lotion. Opens the bottle, and puts a big blob of lotion on the inside of his left wrist, rubs it in, and leaves the bathroom. Who puts lotion on the inside of their wrist? I think the next time that guy pitches Buck needs to ask the umpire to check out that guy's left wrist.

After the top of the 13th inning, the O's announced that fans could move to whatever seat they wanted to in the lower seating bowl, which created a mass migration to the seats behind home plate, myself included. This emptied out the upper deck nicely for the Ushers up there, who all came down to the ends of their sections to watch the game, got the fans fired up - they were noticeably louder once all concentrated together - and allowed me to see the movement on the Boston pitcher's pitches. Good eyes on the part of Parra and Machado. Arco was throwing some kind of hard offering that started in the middle of the plate, would travel about half-way to the mound and then slide off out of the strike zone in the second half of its trajectory. Parra and Machado didn't bite at all, letting those pitches go for balls.

I like walking around the stadium during the game. I saw a number of hot dog vendors wearing red and white striped jerseys, giving them a nice old-timey look. I only saw hot dog vendors dressed that way. I wonder if this is a new style the front office is gong for, or it was merely some guys deciding to dress that way.

If the wrist is sore on the inside what's wrong with him using

a cream or lotion on that area? Or are you worried that this

guy has some kind of goop on his fingers and he would use

a grease ball?

Yep, I assume the guy was putting a team-sponsored foreign substance on his writs. Of course, you are correct that it could have been merely lotion, but it also could be something else. I'm betting since relievers were getting up, he was "getting ready" to pitch by putting a beneficial foreign substance on his wrist.

I assume the bathroom had a door, I couldn't see it. I wasn't being pervy and looking at him in the bathroom. I had looked down, seen the mirror and sink, and was wondering to myself why they would have Barbasol at the stadium when the guy walked in. All you could see from my vantage point was the mirror and sink anyways, so as long as the players don't do anything particularly private at the sink I suppose it doesn't really matter.

On another note, I started the evening talking to BoSox fans while standing in the SRO area above the left field out of town scoreboard. All of them were talking about how much nicer Camden Yards is than Fenway, and how the vendors were so much nicer than the ones up there.

Also, from my position you could see left field very well. There were bunches of divots in the grass, more than you usually see. Instead of filling them in, the grounds crew had just painted the dirt green. My guess is it is because it is late in the season, and that the beat up grass will be replaced at season's end.

Archived