Are we heading back into the dark ages?

MDtransplant757

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an honest question, I'll give the OP that. But let's see how the offseason turns out, then the legitimacy question becomes more relevant.

As to the original question, it's easy to see how this "could" be the start of some bad years. What makes it worse is that given the results of last offseason, the O's may need to overspend by a lot in order to quiet the doom and gloomers out there. Adam Jones, as much as I love him, isn't helping much with hs comments lately, but he isn't alone in wanting to win and something needs to be done. I doubt even the best gm's out there could fix this mess in one season without overspending but that's not always a bad thing. Nobody ever complains about overspending when you win.

It's an honest question, I'll give the OP that. But let's see how the offseason turns out, then the legitimacy question becomes more relevant.

As to the original question, it's easy to see how this "could" be the start of some bad years. What makes it worse is that given the results of last offseason, the O's may need to overspend by a lot in order to quiet the doom and gloomers out there. Adam Jones, as much as I love him, isn't helping much with hs comments lately, but he isn't alone in wanting to win and something needs to be done. I doubt even the best gm's out there could fix this mess in one season without overspending but that's not always a bad thing. Nobody ever complains about overspending when you win.

I disagree.

Asking if this could be the start of a downturn would be an honest question. Asking if this is the start of another decade plus of nearly complete irrelevance and ineptitude isn't.

Losing streaks of that magnitude are pretty uncommon. I am not sure what the current streak in MLB is for consecutive losing seasons but I'm betting it isn't close to a decade.

Yeah, this thread was pretty much started because I had a knee jerk reaction last night. I think we're better off, but the threat of going back feels greater than in years past.

Perhaps we are in a better spot going into next season to retool than we were this past offseason. We won't have as many too good to drop entirely, but expensive because last year of arb guys in Norris, hunter, de aza, etc. I really want to see us sign Davis, manny long term and a top COF bat. Just spit balling that we may have more flexibility and a dearth of "good enough" guys on the roster to prevent us from acting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived