Perlozzoed

Tony-OH

This thread is very long and I don't have time to read every post, but I just wanted to comment and say that I love the article Tony and you just expressed what thousands (hundreds?) of Orioles fans thought watching that game on TV tonight.

Job well done!

Tens, even!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perlozzo can't hit. Is it his fault the money part of the lineup - the 1-6 hitters - went 3 for 30?

At some point the players have to play and do their jobs. This one is on the offense. You shouldn't lose a game when you have home field and 11 scoreless innings from you pitching staff. So what if each reliever had pitched 2 innings each? We would have just waited until the 18th inning for the worst guy on the staff (Birkins) to flinch.

You can't win a game when you score 0 runs...

No, he can't hit. And, neither can the team he put together if a lefty is in the game.

The pitchers he put in the game did their jobs. His good relievers got people out, and his bad one didn't. It's just unfortunate that he has no clue when to let them do their jobs more (or less). We shouldn't have waited until the 18th to use him. We should have waited until we were down 7-0 in the 5th inning of a different game. That's his role. Most teams don't have 17 RPs on their team. We do. Why do we need to use the worst one in a crucial moment? The Tigers found a way to not use their worst. They only used 4 total. Amazing. If each of those guys had been allowed to pitch even 30 pitches, there would have been no need for Birkins.

A question for Drungo. Was the way Sammy played it the correct way statistically? I though he got way to careful with all of the pitchers last night. I thought Adam could probably give you one more inning and I would have had Parrish give one more and so on. But was playing for his team to score in the bottom of the inning the thing that is correct over enough games. Every inning where a shutout continues bucks the norm. I BTW am not really trying to defend Sammy I am asking for some perspective. BTW I firmly believe Knott should be up here yesterday and should be playing against lefties. I really don't know who I am suppose to blame for this Sammy or the FO.

Perlozzo can't hit. Is it his fault the money part of the lineup - the 1-6 hitters - went 3 for 30?

At some point the players have to play and do their jobs. This one is on the offense. You shouldn't lose a game when you have home field and 11 scoreless innings from you pitching staff. So what if each reliever had pitched 2 innings each? We would have just waited until the 18th inning for the worst guy on the staff (Birkins) to flinch.

You can't win a game when you score 0 runs...

I agree with this. There are significant weaknesses in Perlozzo's management, but right now they are being magnified way out of proportion because capable hitters aren't hitting.

I really don't know who I am suppose to blame for this Sammy or the FO.
Both.

Knott should have been there to pinch hit for Gibbons, and in a perfect world, where House didn't melt (a la Wicked Witch of the West) upon exposure to catching equipment, he'd be here to hit for Bako. That's the FO's fault.

Perlozzo should have let Loewen, Parrish and Bradford go another inning each. That's Perlozzo's fault.

Pretty simple, really.

I agree with this. There are significant weaknesses in Perlozzo's management, but right now they are being magnified way out of proportion because capable hitters aren't hitting.
Does that include Patterson, Gibbons and Bako, who everyone knows can't hit lefties?

Both.

Knott should have been there to pinch hit for Gibbons, and in a perfect world, where House didn't melt (a la Wicked Witch of the West) upon exposure to catching equipment, he'd be here to hit for Bako. That's the FO's fault.

Perlozzo should have let Loewen, Parrish and Bradford go another inning each. That's Perlozzo's fault.

Pretty simple, really.

I blame Sammy for the pitching last night. Even though he did get through 11 innings without giving up a run. I was talking about the bench makeup. Sammy really had no offensive move available to him. I was wondering whose fault that was.

I'm a 31 year old adult throwing remote controls around my house.

WTF?!?!?!??!

You are not the only one.

You need something like this. It is called the "bad call brick". This one is more oriented to football, but you can use it during the baseball season. Usually this is for the refs, but during baseball season it can be about the manager... ;)

You are not the only one.

You need something like this. It is called the "bad call brick". This one is more oriented to football, but you can use it during the baseball season. Usually this is for the refs, but during baseball season it can be about the manager... ;)

I need something that makes a LOUD noise when it makes contact. Some damage needs to be done.

I went online and bought one of these last night. That should help.

What killed me was Patterson bunting to move up the runners for Bako. Why???

I agree, this was the most inexcusable decision. Paul Bako hits about as well as the average pitcher. You would never bunt with the pitcher coming up next, would you? If Sam had bothered to think about it for a minute...what's the worst that can happen if you let Patterson swing away? He's not going to hit into a double play...so at worst he leaves Millar at 1B. You can always have Bako bunt to get him into scoring position for Roberts if that's what you want.

And didn't you just KNOW that Roberts was going to ground out to the right side of the infield early in the count in that situation? Even when Roberts is playing well he's a lousy clutch hitter, and he's definitely not playing well right now.

Does that include Patterson, Gibbons and Bako, who everyone knows can't hit lefties?

Those guys had 1 AB vs. LHP yesterday. And Gibbons is hitting .363/.417/.636 vs. lefties to this point, Patterson is hitting .250/.357/.417 against them. I'm not saying those guys will be good vs. LHP in the long run, I'm saying that their weakness vs. LHP has not been the cause of the team's hitting woes to this point. Right now the O's have a .660 OPS vs. LHP, and a .637 OPS vs. RHP. They aren't hitting ANYBODY.

When I got home last night, in the bottom of the 11th and looked at Gameday and saw how many pitchers Perlozzo had already used, I just had to laugh. Then when he brought in Birkins for the 12th, well, it wasn't so funny anymore.

The offense has done absolutely nothing to help him out, sure, but Perlozzo is really hamstringing this team right now. I like the guy and he seems like a good coach, but managing at this level might just be over his head.

Archived