Next...

weams

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree ...keep Machado, Schoop, and Gausman. Trade or tag everyone else. If we overpay Wieters for a year who cares as the Orioles never spend saved money later.

It's not just about overpaying Wieters, it's the fact that with Wieters on the roster at $16+mil Joseph will not be catching very often. Wieters ain't what he used to be...

It's not just about overpaying Wieters, it's the fact that with Wieters on the roster at $16+mil Joseph will not be catching very often. Wieters ain't what he used to be...

I think Wieters would catch half the games. If we keep him. And if we don't trade him halfway through. I am sure he would play some first under that scenario, because Davis would be gone.

I think Wieters would catch half the games. If we keep him. And if we don't trade him halfway through. I am sure he would play some first under that scenario, because Davis would be gone.

I would hope you're right. But I have this feeling if Wieters were to be making $16 mil he would be playing (almost) every day, and I would think most of those games would be as a catcher. I could also do without hearing Boras cry about how Wieters is being used if he were to spend significant time at 1b (which I just don't see happening for more than a handful of games over the course of the year)

I would hope you're right. But I have this feeling if Wieters were to be making $16 mil he would be playing (almost) every day, and I would think most of those games would be as a catcher. I could also do without hearing Boras cry about how Wieters is being used if he were to spend significant time at 1b (which I just don't see happening for more than a handful of games over the course of the year)

Anyway, no one has ever signed. And a Boras client will not be the first. So it is just a conversation.

Anyway, no one has ever signed. And a Boras client will not be the first. So it is just a conversation.

I find it very interesting that most everyone on this board has totally written off the idea that Wieters would actually accept the QO. It makes a lot of financial sense for him to do so - regardless of what his agent thinks about the process. There are exceptions to every rule - Matt might be that guy. I place the odds somewhat higher than most that he will accept it, if offered.

I find it very interesting that most everyone on this board has totally written off the idea that Wieters would actually accept the QO. It makes a lot of financial sense for him to do so - regardless of what his agent thinks about the process. There are exceptions to every rule - Matt might be that guy. I place the odds somewhat higher than most that he will accept it, if offered.

The new CBA is for 2017. My odds are that no one will sign during this incarnation of the rule.

I find it very interesting that most everyone on this board has totally written off the idea that Wieters would actually accept the QO. It makes a lot of financial sense for him to do so - regardless of what his agent thinks about the process. There are exceptions to ever rule - Matt might be that guy. I place the odds somewhat higher than most that he will accept it, if offered.

1- It has never happened.

2- It was rare for players to accept arbitration instead of entering free agency (The prior system which encompassed a much higher percentage of players)

3- His agent is vehemently opposed to the whole idea of free agent compensation.

4- His agent has, in my mind, in the past sacrificed the best interest of his individual clients for the greater good of his company.

5- I don't think this season's numbers matter as much as a lot of folks do.

1- It has never happened.

2- It was rare for players to accept arbitration instead of entering free agency (The prior system which encompassed a much higher percentage of players)

3- His agent is vehemently opposed to the whole idea of free agent compensation.

4- His agent has, in my mind, in the past sacrificed the best interest of his individual clients for the greater good of his company.

5- I don't think this season's numbers matter as much as a lot of folks do.

All fair points...

1. Never doesn't mean ever

2. Can't argue with that

3. His agent is his agent, not his decision maker - although I understand Boras wields great influence

4. Boras definitely steered Morales and Drew wrong - no argument there

5. This is probably correct, despite my best efforts to be optimistic about next season I have a feeling we won't sniff contention

All that said, Matt is in a unique position. On the one hand he can accept the QO, pocket $16mil and attempt to rebuild his value - which he certainly would be given the chance to do making $16mil. He could then go back and take another stab at FA next year and try and land a Russell Martin type deal (5/82), which Martin signed at age 31-32. Matt is 29 and would be back on the market at age 30 with an additional $16mil in his pocket.

On the other hand, Wieters could turn down the QO, forgo $16mil, and sign a contract with a much lower AAV that will lock him in for the next few years. I don't know what Matt would get on the open market right now, but I can't imagine it would be much more than 5yrs/60mil (at best).

Seems to me Matt would potentially be leaving a lot of money on the table passing up the QO. If I had to guess, Matt's next multi year contract will be his last. I can't imagine Matt will still be around playing in the majors in his late 30's, big bodied catchers don't age well.

All fair points...

1. Never doesn't mean ever

2. Can't argue with that

3. His agent is his agent, not his decision maker - although I understand Boras wields great influence

4. Boras definitely steered Morales and Drew wrong - no argument there

5. This is probably correct, despite my best efforts to be optimistic about next season I have a feeling we won't sniff contention

All that said, Matt is in a unique position. On the one hand he can accept the QO, pocket $16mil and attempt to rebuild his value - which he certainly would be given the chance to do making $16mil. He could then go back and take another stab at FA next year and try and land a Russell Martin type deal (5/82), which Martin signed at age 31-32. Matt is 29 and would be back on the market at age 30 with an additional $16mil in his pocket.

On the other hand, Wieters could turn down the QO, forgo $16mil, and sign a contract with a much lower AAV that will lock him in for the next few years. I don't know what Matt would get on the open market right now, but I can't imagine it would be much more than 5yrs/60mil (at best).

Seems to me Matt would potentially be leaving a lot of money on the table passing up the QO. If I had to guess, Matt's next multi year contract will be his last. I can't imagine Matt will still be around playing in the majors in his late 30's, big bodied catchers don't age well.

My #5 was referring to Matt's numbers. I think a lot of folks here are viewing 2015 as him falling off a cliff where I view it as more like a pitcher coming back from TJ surgery.

My #5 was referring to Matt's numbers. I think a lot of folks here are viewing 2015 as him falling off a cliff where I view it as more like a pitcher coming back from TJ surgery.

I misread #5. I will agree that Wieters will probably be a little better next year on defense, but his bat is what it is. I just don't see the value going forward.

I misread #5. I will agree that Wieters will probably be a little better next year on defense, but his bat is what it is. I just don't see the value going forward.

He could take a two year 30 from someone if he does not get a bite on the big one.

On offense as well. I saw a piece done a couple years ago that showed position players take an OPS hit year 1 after returning from TJ.

Archived