Hunter Harvey shut down with elbow discomfort

mdbdotcom

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should have gotten the surgery at the beginning on the season. Then he could have been back on the mound sometime in 2016. Looking at 2017 now. He will be a 22 y/o in High A ball. Depressing.

...and that will be fine.

Nobody likes this, there's nothing to like about it. But it is what it is. There's no reason to think he won't come back and still be a force. A 22-year old at High A is OK.

I wonder if we offered the Red Sox Harvey or Bundy in place of Rodriguez?

Seems other organizations are better at valuing our players than we are.

Rodriguez now has 20 ML starts as a 22 yo to a 3.96 FIP

Josh Hader will enter his 22 yo season at AAA after striking out 119 in 104 AA innings this year. He should crack the Brewers rotation late next year and is pitching in the AFL this fall. Some how other organizations have bee good at picking our best talent in DD's rental deals, while we stubbornly protect our former high round picks who don't actually .... you know... pitch.

He couldn't even relieve before the treatment/rest regimen.

I don't know how much it helps, it was asked, I answered.

Britton had the PRP, he couldn't pitch before, he can pitch now.

Your memory is faulty. Britton had his PRP injection in March 2012. He threw 123 innings that year, 143 in 2013 before becoming a reliever.

This seemed inevitable. Whatever. Please, no more 1st round picks on HS pitchers. Of course, Kershaw and Bumgarner were both 1st HS picks.

So, he'll miss the entire 2016 season but he should be a full go for 2017. The "grow the arms" continues to be a complete disaster.

We don't even know that.

No guarantee they cut him, or that he has a clean recovery.

I don't follow any other teams' minor league systems, but I assume most teams have injury rates similar to our pitching prospects. I'm not sure there is any evidence to suggest the O's have done anything wrong to cause these injuries. However, when it comes to pitching prospects, it's really a war of attrition and that is where I do fault the O's. The only way to protect yourself from the inevitable pitching injuries is to stockpile and protect pitching prospects. The O's, on the other hand, have traded away a number of young pitchers as well as draft picks that may have been used on pitchers. As a result, when one of our promising pitching prospects gets injured it's much more damaging because we don't have many other talented prospects to step up and fill the void.

You think they are going to prescribe rest AGAIN? I didn't guarantee anything. Just going with what is likely.

I don't think so, but you can't rule it out.

If there wasn't a reason to operate before then I don't see how he could have made the situation worse in so short a time.

Is "doesn't respond to rest" considered a valid reason to operate? I don't know.

Archived