Offseason

mrbig1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We really need to spend about 50 million to field a competitive team. May need to get creative with deferring money and other ways. Letting Matusz go is a no-brainer.

20 mil on Davis (six year contract) -Heyward as a fallback option

25 mil on Price (seven year contract)

7.5 mil on Denard Span (two year contract)

There is going to be so much pressure for this team to resign Davis that I think if he walks we will have to be in on one of the other premium OFers. Price is a pipe dream, but he is what this team sorely needs more than anything. I'm sure he'll aim for Scherzer money, but not sure there is a team out there that will pony up. So many holes to fill. Definitely can't justify spending 7-9 million on a reliever (O'Day). The bullpen is actually one spot where our minor league system has produced options ready to step in.

How about if we do that 15/2 deal for Span and do a 40/4 for Fowler while letting O'Day go? Duq seems to have a good knack for putting together a quality bullpen - and we have some guys who might be ready - I'd put Wright in the pen. Triggs is another, imo.

I don't have any good ideas about replacing Chen. Any chance Miranda can do it?

Are the Orioles better off signing Chris Davis for 20-25M a year for 5-6 years or are they better off signing two Fowler, Span types for 4-5 years at 10-12M? Better question. Which is more realistic?

I believe the Orioles are better off doing the former, provided both of these scenarios would pan out. They can find someone cheaper who is closer to Fowler/Span than Davis. Let's stay in-house and say Alvarez for argument's sake. So the comparison would be Davis + Alvarez vs Fowler + Span.

The latter is not a bad strategy and I agree it is the more realistic one. The number of Fowler/Span types, in my opinion, is limited.

Really for me it comes down to, whoever they go with I hope it pans out. :thumbsup1: Just don't do nothing. :eektf:

Are the Orioles better off signing Chris Davis for 20-25M a year for 5-6 years or are they better off signing two Fowler, Span types for 4-5 years at 10-12M? Better question. Which is more realistic?

A lot depends on the O's draft position and if comp picks are attached to the FA's but I think the latter is more realistic and possibly a better strategy. Just using Fowler and Spann as examples, you be signing two top or the order hitters who are CF's in name but would be playing corner OF on the O's and forming an outfield defense to rival our infield defense. Upgrades on base and top of the order and improves the outfield defense. Pearce and a Garret Jones type hold down 1B until Mancini is ready. Still enough money left over for one starting pitcher of the John Lackey, Scott Kazmir variety.

I missed this post - that makes a lot of sense to me. First, they have to answer the question honestly - should we rebuild? If not, they should see what they can get for Adam Jones. But he's the face of the franchise, and I don't see them having the guts to trade him. If they don't decide to rebuild, then they've got to spend some money - not a ton - but they will need to sign guys like Fowler and Span.

So, we are looking for a SP who will cost 4 years or less at 15M, or less who is better than Chen and won't cost a pick. Who fits that description?

Kazmir was traded mid-season so he will not cost a pick. Price and Mike Leake were traded mid-season as well. I think Leake would get blown up in the AL East or at best be no better than our backend options in house.

We are going to have to consider departing with picks on some of these FA's as the few quality ones that will not cost a pick are likely to get snatched up at high dollars.

A guy like Iwakuma may not get a QO and could be had at a 2/20 type deal.

Kazmir was traded mid-season so he will not cost a pick. Price and Mike Leake were traded mid-season as well. I think Leake would get blown up in the AL East or at best be no better than our backend options in house.

We are going to have to consider departing with picks on some of these FA's as the few quality ones that will not cost a pick are likely to get snatched up at high dollars.

A guy like Iwakuma may not get a QO and could be had at a 2/20 type deal.

Iwakuma or Buehrle. Less years, probably 12-15 M, are they better than Chen?

Iwakuma or Buehrle. Less years, probably 12-15 M, are they better than Chen?

Probably equal to. I don't think either approaches 15 mil. Especially not Buehrle. I would take either of them on a two year deal before I gave Chen four years.

Iwakuma COULD possibly get a QO.

First we'll add the small fish. Steve Pearce rebounded from a terrible start to post decent numbers the second half of the season. Reimold has put in a respectable season too, with a .737 OPS (100 OPS+) through 155 PA. Pearce probably costs $2-3 mil and Reimold, $1 mil. So I'll say $3.5 mil combined for two righty bench/platoon players who may or may not be in positive wins next year. That leaves us at $49 mil.

Pearce is .844 OPS since the All-Star break - a must keeper. He's actually been the O's Super-Sub. It's just that not everyone's noticed.

I see Pearce coming back. We always work something out with him. He has to love it here.

I was thinking Iwakuma too. He could be this years B.Colon. Or how about B.Colon on a 1 yr deal. We wanted Colon last time he was a FA. I think we need to add two starters to Ubaldo, Gausman, Tillman and Gonzo. All of our pitchers pitch better on extra rest. I'm not saying we need a 6 man rotation but we need 6 starters. That probably won't happen because of payroll. But it would be nice to spot start Gonzo every couple rotation turns. DD and Buck are always at their best when they have flexibility with the bullpen and rotation.

I see Pearce coming back. We always work something out with him. He has to love it here.

I was thinking Iwakuma too. He could be this years B.Colon. Or how about B.Colon on a 1 yr deal. We wanted Colon last time he was a FA. I think we need to add two starters to Ubaldo, Gausman, Tillman and Gonzo. All of our pitchers pitch better on extra rest. I'm not saying we need a 6 man rotation but we need 6 starters. That probably won't happen because of payroll. But it would be nice to spot start Gonzo every couple rotation turns. DD and Buck are always at their best when they have flexibility with the bullpen and rotation.

Buehrle would be good if he doesn't want too much $$$. 200 IP 62%QS. GB pitcher with our IF. Veteran influence.

Archived