RIP Yogi Berra

SteveA

"Berra's Yogi-ness was exploited in advertisements for myriad products, among them Puss 'n Boots cat food and Miller Lite beer, but perhaps most famously, Yoo-Hoo chocolate drink.

Asked if Yoo-Hoo was hyphenated, he is said to have replied, "No, ma'am, it isn?t even carbonated.""

YogiYoohoo.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/24/sports/baseball/yogi-berra-dies-at-90-yankees-baseball-catcher.html

Am I mistaken or did he take part in the Normandy invasion?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/5210564/ns/msnbc-countdown_with_keith_olbermann/t/yogi-berra-was-d-day/#.VgLwRctViko

Well, being a young guy, I thought it was like the Fourth of July, to tell you the truth. I said, "Boy, it looks pretty, all the planes coming over." And I was looking out and my officer said, "you better get your head down in here, if you want it on.:

Being a young guy, you didn‘t think nothing of it until you got in it. And so we went off 300 yards off beach. We protect the troops. If they ran into any trouble, we would fire the rockets over. We had a lead boat that would fire one rocket. If it hits the beach, then everybody opens up. We could fire one rocket if we wanted to, or we could fire off 24 or them, 12 on each side. We stretched out 50 yards apart. And that was the invasion.

Nothing happened to us. That's one good thing. Our boat could go anywhere, though. We were pretty good, flat bottom, 36-footer.

One of the truly unique characters in the game, and a very humble man. My favorite Yogi stat is that despite the fact that he swung at a lot of pitches out of the strike zone, he only struck out 414 times while hitting 358 homers. It's frequently cited that DiMaggio had more homers than strikeouts (369 to 361), but Yogi came pretty close and actually struck out less often per plate appearance than DiMaggio did.

RIP, Yogi. It got late too early for you.

One of the truly unique characters in the game, and a very humble man. My favorite Yogi stat is that despite the fact that he swung at a lot of pitches out of the strike zone, he only struck out 414 times while hitting 358 homers. It's frequently cited that DiMaggio had more homers than strikeouts (369 to 361), but Yogi came pretty close and actually struck out less often per plate appearance than DiMaggio did.

RIP, Yogi. It got late too early for you.

That K ratio is staggering. As is DiMaggio's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived