Jerry Crasnick: The Face of the New GM

weams

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13717463/the-changing-face-role-mlb-general-manager

When the Seattle Mariners fired general manager Jack Zduriencik in August and embarked on the task of hiring his replacement, team president Kevin Mather called the MLB commissioner's office for input on potential candidates who might be worth interviewing. This is a customary procedure among clubs that want a head start on the executive hiring process.

"One of their questions was, 'We're assuming you're looking for a younger, analytic guru, computer nerd type,'" Mather said. "I paused, and they said, 'Well, everybody else is asking.'"

Mather, who is known for his dry sense of humor, was joking about the exchange. But the imaginary encounter appears to have mirrored the experience of at least one MLB competitor.

Be nice if the O's got some folks in the FO, and coaches on the field who aren't eligible for Medicaid. I'm guessing we have the oldest management team in baseball.
This is one of the most rediculous posts I have read on OH since I joined. This time last year we were the darlings of the baseball management world and other organizations coveted our staff and were eager to learn how we operated. I don't know how our FO or coaching staff rates by age but its irrelevant. Our systems are solid and they work. We can do better in the international market but that is not due to the age of our FO.

This is one of the most rediculous posts I have read on OH since I joined. This time last year we were the darlings of the baseball management world and other organizations coveted our staff and were eager to learn how we operated. I don't know how our FO or coaching staff rates by age but its irrelevant. Our systems are solid and they work. We can do better in the international market but that is not due to the age of our FO.

Huh? Source? Talk about ridiculous posts...

And all of his band of merry men.

Special Assistant to the EVP, Baseball OperationsLee ThomasExecutive Director, International RecruitingFred FerreiraDirector, Baseball OperationsTripp NortonDirector, Major League AdministrationNed RiceAssistant Director, Major League Administration/Pro ScoutingBill WilkesCoordinator, Advance ScoutingBen Werthan

Director, ScoutingGary RajsichSpecial Assistant to the EVP, Baseball Operations – ScoutingDanny HaasSpecial Assistant to the EVP, Baseball Operations – ScoutingMatt HaasAdministrator, ScoutingBrad Ciolek

Director, Minor League OperationsKent QuallsDirector, Player DevelopmentBrian GrahamDirector, Dominican Republic Baseball OperationsNelson NormanDirector, Pitching DevelopmentRick PetersonDirector, Dominican Republic AcademyFelipe Rojas Alou Jr.Special Assignment Pitching InstructorRamon MartinezCoordinator, Minor League AdministrationMaria ArellanoCoordinator, Player Development/International ScoutingCale Cox

Assistant Director, Player PersonnelMike SnyderDirector, Baseball AnalyticsSarah GellesCoordinator, Professional ScoutingMatt KoizimCoordinator, Baseball OperationsPat DiGregory

A lot of people would be interested in having Dan leave. It would open many job opportunities.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Os have signed 18yo LHP Alex Wells of Australia to a $300K deal</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">September 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> have signed RHP Mike Zouzalik from St. Paul Saints, He was 4-1 with a 2.06 ERA this year. Has pitched in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rangers?src=hash">#Rangers</a> organization.</p>— Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="

">September 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bingo!..I'm not advocating dumping Buck but it would be nice to get some young saber metrics guys in here to augment staff. That seems to be the trend these days. That's why I was very disappointed when Klentak left. He or Cherington would be a perfect fit here if Duquette gets his walking papers.:cool:

Oh right Ben Cherington, the guy who made so many great decisions over the last couple of years in Boston with tons of money at his disposal. He's still pretty young for a GM so he will definitely get another shot and be better but I wasn't a fan of his approach with the ML team in Boston.

If I had to guess I would say that the Orioles likely have a fair amount of sabermetric guys on the payroll.

Archived