Gotta love the combination of Dusty and Corey

DrungoHazewood

Anybody else notice Dusty Baker's first lineup as manager of the Reds?

Cincinnati RedsHitters	         AB	R	H	RBI	BB	SO	LOB	AVGC Patterson CF	4	0	0	0	0	0	3	.000J Keppinger SS	4	0	0	0	0	1	2	.000K Griffey Jr RF	3	1	0	0	1	2	0	.000B Phillips 2B	4	1	1	1	0	3	0	.250A Dunn LF	3	0	0	1	1	1	0	.000E Encrncion 3B	2	0	0	0	2	1	1	.000S Hatteberg 1B	4	0	0	0	0	1	2	.000J Valentin C	3	0	1	0	0	0	1	.333A Harang P	2	0	1	0	0	1	1	.500

Corey ".298 OBP" Patterson leading off, the guy with the best OPS on the team batting 5th, and arguably their 3rd-best hitter (Votto) chewing sunflower seeds on the bench. Oh, and of course Jay Bruce, maybe their 4th-best hitter, is getting some seasoning (hickory or mesquite?) in the minors.

Over the long season lineups don't really matter and all but stats does Dusty look at that makes Patterson a leadoff hitter? And how is Dunn not that #2 hitter?

I'd say the only reason Patterson is batting leadoff is his speed. He should not be batting leadoff.

That being said he has a shot to have a pretty decent year hitting in that ballpark.

I'd say the only reason Patterson is batting leadoff is his speed. He should not be batting leadoff.

That being said he has a shot to have a pretty decent year hitting in that ballpark.

I just don't see it. Yea it is a great park to hit at, but you got to make contact first.

Over the long season lineups don't really matter and all but what stats does Dusty look at that makes Patterson a leadoff hitter? And how is Dunn not that #2 hitter?

The order doesn't matter, at least not much with any reasonable lineups. But playing Scott Hatteberg over Joey Votto... well, that kind of thing matters a lot.

I read recently that the Reds are having serious concerns about Homer Bailey. I wondered why they were so willing to give him up for Bedard and not Cuetto (or whatever his name is). Seems they don't think he is that committed to being a top of the line player. I guess time will tell, but maybe we got lucky. Just a thought. With that said, I would have loved to have landed Vuotto....I think he is going to be a stud.

I was going to stay out of this thread but my Reds fandom won't let me, LOL ;) Joey Votto is not starting yet because he had a rough spring training. The first base job was his to earn and he didn't hit well enough to land it. I'm sure he'll be taking over for Hatte at some point early in the season though because he is definitely the future of the team and if Dusty didn't believe he could succeed, he would have gone to AAA. He's had slow starts the last few years and then he starts hitting like crazy so I'm not worried about Joey. Homer Bailey also could have earned a starting job out of spring training but he didn't earn it either. He had moments where he was unhittable in ST and then would give up hit after hit and lose his control. He was sent to AAA to find that control again and I bet he gets to the majors again sometime this year. Reds fans have wondered about his attitude too but he's been seen talking to the coaches and especially Mario Soto (who's been a key in Volquez and Cueto doing so well this year) so I don't think he's got a bad attitude. I just think he's still young and still learning how to be a pitcher on a major league level. I hate all this crap about Dusty and his veteran preferences. The guy gave the younger players every chance to earn a job out of ST and two of our young pitchers were extremely impressive and are now starting later this week at GABP. Don't get me started on the pitch counts either. Aaron Harang was on the mound yesterday and because he's the Reds workhorse, everyone expected him to go his usual 105-115 pitches but he came out of the game after 99 pitches (six innings) and was not put back out on the mound. The Reds haven't had so many young prospects be ready or nearly ready for the big leagues in a long time and the last thing anyone wants is to see one of them go down with an injury of some sort. I'm not worried about Dusty and the pitchers because he's all ready said that he learned and changed things from his Chicago experience and I think he's going to do things differently here. I love Orioles fans making fun of another team that's had its own share of troubles in the last few years. That's like the Royals crapping all over the Giants or something, LOL :rolleyes:

And for the record, Corey may not have hit well yesterday but neither did half the Reds starters because they were facing former Cy Young winner Brandon Webb. That's never a good way to start off a season IMO, LOL ;)

I am puzzled by Bruce Bochy's first two lineups. Aaron Rowand, just signed to a five year deal and San Fransisco's best hitter by a wide margin, hit sixth. Behind such Triple Crown threats as Ray Durham, Randy Winn and Bengie Molina.

Archived