Beyond The Boxscore: Where to get a First baseman

weams

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2015/9/29/9365553/miami-marlins-justin-bour-mark-canha-offense-over-everything-else

My research led me to an interesting pair of players: Justin Bour and Mark Canha. Both of these players were guys on the very fringes of prospectdom - first basemen who were too old to really be considered prospects, and guys who'd not had runaway success in the minors.

With the Marlins bringing in Michael Morse in the offseason, it seemed a remote possibility that both of these players would be held on the 40-man roster coming into 2015. The Marlins were going to have to choose between the two, as at most one would be part of the team's plan going forward. Sure enough, Canha was left unprotected in the Rule 5 Draft, and snapped up by Oakland through Colorado. At least one of Bour and Canha looked likely to see playing time in the big leagues in 2015.

I think Gordo suggested in another thread to platoon Mancini and Pearce at 1B. They're both right-handed, but since Pearce hit righties better than lefties, I think that's a reasonable way to go.

Yeah, this is not a bad idea especially if it allows us to allocate more $$$ for starting pitching.

Let's not throw Walker to the wolves yet. Mancini may be a one-year minor league wonder while Walker plugged along through the harder hitting environment of Norfolk. While I favor signing Davis, we should keep all possibilities in mind. Besides, we also have DH--or even the outfield--for some of the same people.

I think Gordo suggested in another thread to platoon Mancini and Pearce at 1B. They're both right-handed, but since Pearce hit righties better than lefties, I think that's a reasonable way to go.

It's probably dumb but I've never been too crazy about right handed first basemen, defensively.

This is demonstrably false. Pearce has a career wRC+ of 124 vs LHP to 96 vs RHP.

Assuming they don't sign Davis I'd invite both Walker and Mancini to Spring Training, and announce that whichever player has the best Spring goes north with the team, and the other guy goes to Norfolk. The Orioles should commit to one or the other as their 2016 first baseman, and barring injury live with that decision for at least the first half of next year.

First base is one of the few spots where the organization appears to have young talent in the pipeline. It would be dumb to pass over that talent in favor of middling veterans like Pearce or Justin Morneau.

Assuming they don't sign Davis I'd invite both Walker and Mancini to Spring Training, and announce that whichever player has the best Spring goes north with the team, and the other guy goes to Norfolk. The Orioles should commit to one or the other as their 2016 first baseman, and barring injury live with that decision for at least the first half of next year.

First base is one of the few spots where the organization appears to have young talent in the pipeline. It would be dumb to pass over that talent in favor of middling veterans like Pearce or Justin Morneau.

I have never seen that type of contest announced by any MAJOR league team.

But then you would have Pearce getting the majority of ABs, leaving Mancini with 150 ABs in the prime of his development. Being right-handed, I think if Mancini plays he has to play every day.

Archived