Affeldt: 40 Percent of Players Used Steroids.

weams

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/retiring-giants-pitcher-says-players-174546677.html

Affeldt makes it clear that he's never taken steroids, but he claims 40% of players were using performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) when he entered the league in 2000. He says while the sports is considerably cleaner, steroid use will never go away completely.

Affeldt critiques MLB for letting the situation get so out of control that now any elite hitter or pitcher is suspected of using PEDs.

"Make no mistake: I don't believe in using drugs to gain a competitive advantage, even though I know exactly why so many players did it. It was selfish of them, though, and unfair to those of us who weren't doing it. By inflating (or, in the pitchers' cases, deflating) their numbers, PED abusers were taking food off my table, rendering my accomplishments and statistical achievements less meaningful?and certainly less useful when negotiating my contracts."

The famous Amber Theoharis number she threw out was 70% and she was told by a player that she was naively "low."

Yikes!

I mean, I get it. We all speed from time to time and think we get places faster, and some really get reckless with their speed.

But "+70% using" knocks my inner child down and calls him a diaper baby.

The famous Amber Theoharis number she threw out was 70% and she was told by a player that she was naively "low."

40% seems ridiculously low, unless that's a very specific definition of PEDs that excludes everything but common anabolic steroids. I would guess more than 40% used greenies. Willie Mays and Hank Aaron used greenies! I might believe that 40% of the league were habitual users of steroids. And another 40-50% used something some of the time.

Archived