Pressbox: Davis Named Most Valuable Oriole (Upset with No Extension Talk)

weams

Maybe the writers named him MVO to put more pressure on Angelos to keep him. Do you imagine letting the last two MVOs leave via free agency because you want to be buried in your gold coins instead of keeping the talent to win?

Conversely, if you give the award to Machado, that adds to his value in his first year of arbitration (2016).

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go...

SOURCE: http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/10/02/chris-davis-is-upset-orioles-havent-offered-him-an-extension/

He?s going to get a big contract from someone and it?s understandable if the Orioles are hesitant to be that team, but Davis made it clear to the local media that he wants to remain in Baltimore and also pointed out that shortstop J.J. Hardy and center fielder Adam Jones have signed in-season extensions with the Orioles recently.

MSK

As was already discussed, at length, in the MVO thread Davis:

Already turned down multiple extension offers

Has Boras as an agent (Weaver is the only walk year extension)

Could have certainly initiated talks if he had been so inclined.

In my opinion this is cover because he doesn't want to look like the bad guy when he goes to the highest bidder.

As was already discussed, at length, in the MVO thread Davis:

Already turned down multiple extension offers

Has Boras as an agent (Weaver is the only walk year extension)

Could have certainly initiated talks if he had been so inclined.

In my opinion this is cover because he doesn't want to look like the bad guy when he goes to the highest bidder.

And this is not my orange-colored-glasses talking, I think Davis would LOVE to stay here but... Show me the money!

So Yahoo News just ran a story saying that Chris Davis is frustrated because the O's haven't offered him an in-season extension. (That they did this with Adam and JJ, he knows that, and that he says he wants to stay in Baltimore - yada yada yada).

Hmmmm.... I haven't heard about this --- I thought Boras was not entertaining that option at all. I'm assuming that Boras wants $25M+ a year and no less? And no "home town" discount?

Btw, I'm not against an extension, I just haven't heard much about a chance of it happening.

Some thoughts????

So Yahoo News just ran a story saying that Chris Davis is frustrated because the O's haven't offered him an in-season extension. The story said that he says that they did this with Adam and JJ, he knows that, and that he says he wants to stay in Baltimore.

Hmmmm.... I haven't heard about this --- I thought Boras was not entertaining that option at all. Some thoughts????

If Duquette hasn't already discussed the outline of an extension with Boras prior or during this season, he's lost.

We all know how Angelos responds to pressure.

I'm more likely to believe the press core gives undue weight to home runs and RBI.

And doesn't believe in that new defensive metrics gobbledygook. That is, unless their current article is about trying to prove that big sluggers are overrated and real teams win with defense.

So Yahoo News just ran a story saying that Chris Davis is frustrated because the O's haven't offered him an in-season extension. (That they did this with Adam and JJ, he knows that, and that he says he wants to stay in Baltimore - yada yada yada).

Hmmmm.... I haven't heard about this --- I thought Boras was not entertaining that option at all. I'm assuming that Boras wants $25M+ a year and no less? And no "home town" discount?

Btw, I'm not against an extension, I just haven't heard much about a chance of it happening.

Some thoughts????

Saying Davis wants an extension is incredibly misleading.

Davis said that he wanted the Orioles to offer him an extension. Something which they had done multiple times in the past.

I've said it before... I'll say it once more.

He chose SCOTT BORAS as his agent.

When you do this as a player, you are telling your team (and every team) that it's all about the dollar signs.

You're telling them that you're not interested in stuff like in-season extensions just before free agency (so essentially, don't insult me by asking).

You're telling them that hometown discounts outside of a microscopic percentage are not something you believe in.

When you pick Boras, it's 99% "show me the money," with little or no focus on any other consideration.

It is honestly annoying to see these quotes from CD saying things like, he's disappointed that they've made no attempt to extend him. That the process from here is out of his hands.

That's BS and he knows it. I would hope his teammates know it and have said something to him.

If you really have a change of heart and want to stay in Baltimore, CD, step one is to change your agent.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10391118/chris-davis-offered-long-term-contract-baltimore-orioles-vice-president-dan-duquette-says

Baltimore Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said the team offered slugger Chris Davis a long-term deal this offseason -- a claim that seemed to surprise baseball's reigning home run king.

Duquette, speaking Saturday at the team's annual FanFest, said that contract talks with Davis "really hasn't progressed" this winter.

Chris Davis, who led the majors with 53 home runs in 2013, has stated that he would prefer a long-term deal to stay with the Orioles.

"I know they talked at the end of last year, but obviously nothing came to a head. It's something we're going to have to wait and see. It's not my job to worry about that."

Saying Davis wants an extension is incredibly misleading.

Davis said that he wanted the Orioles to offer him an extension. Something which they had done multiple times in the past.

I'm sure Davis and Boras would be more than happy with an extension that he's unlikely to get on the open market. Like 10/250. I think they have absolutely no interest in an extension that reasonably weights risk and reward for a mid-market club.

Archived