Pressbox: Davis Named Most Valuable Oriole (Upset with No Extension Talk)

weams

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, sure over a three year period.

I think you suffer, "suffer" the second three years for the rewards of the first three years.

But like I said, Boras will laugh at $20 per. He's just gone. There's no getting around it. 3 more games in an Orioles uniform and then hope he goes to the NL.

And DD will get blasted for not giving Davis the contract he

wants. I will and do back DD in this situation. Anyone really

think Davis is worth 20 million a year?

Absolutely...I believe Davis is EASILY worth $20 million/year. Like the past few posters have stated though...it all depends on the amount of years.

I think you suffer, "suffer" the second three years for the rewards of the first three years.

But like I said, Boras will laugh at $20 per. He's just gone. There's no getting around it. 3 more games in an Orioles uniform and then hope he goes to the NL.

:agree: I don't see ANYWAY the O's getting him back, NO WAY, NO HOW.

To me it's pretty simple. If CD will resign for 20 mil a year or less, for a 5 year contract (maybe 6 if it's less than 20 mil a year) then shame on Os if they let him walk and I will be livid. If some team is really going to give him 25 mil a year for 6 or more years, then I have no problem with the Os letting him walk....so long as they replace him with genuine talent. If the Os let him walk and replace him with Christian Walker and Steve Pearce without upgrading ANY other position with the money they did not spend on CD, then I don't think I'll have much more than a casual interest in next season, or maybe any future season till we have new ownership.

It is good to know that Davis would like to return. There is still time to try to work out an extension before he hits free agency. Hardy's extension was done on October 9 last year, which was 11 days after the regular season ended. If Davis is serious, then the O's should give it a shot. But I cannot imagine Scott Boras allowing a client to sign without testing the market when he's already incurred all the risk of playing through the season.
He throws it back entirely on the Orioles as if he has no say in how much he'll accept to stay here.
Davis said ultimately he believes his contract situation is a business decision that has to be made by Duquette and team managing partner Peter Angelos.

"I understand that's part of it. I don't have any hard feelings against Dan or Peter or anybody," Davis said. "I feel like I've really done everything I can to make them want me back. So, like I said, it's up to them."

As to no conversations

Orioles manager Buck Showalter disputed that claim, saying that Davis might not know about all the behind-the-scenes discussions.

"I'm not sure he is aware of all the conversations that may have gone on, OK?" Showalter said. "... This time of year, players get asked about it. They say things that they feel, sometimes without the knowledge of a lot of the other things that may be going on that you're not aware of. I know a little more than I think Chris does, but now's not the time."

Source - The Sun, Oct. 3, 2015

Orioles manager Buck Showalter disputed that claim, saying that Davis might not know about all the behind-the-scenes discussions.

"I'm not sure he is aware of all the conversations that may have gone on, OK?" Showalter said. "... This time of year, players get asked about it. They say things that they feel, sometimes without the knowledge of a lot of the other things that may be going on that you're not aware of. I know a little more than I think Chris does, but now's not the time."

As a lawyer, I don't know how it is even possible that Boras isn't keeping his client informed of any significant discussions he's had with the Orioles. I've never had a client who didn't want to know of any approaches made by the other side.

As a lawyer, I don't know how it is even possible that Boras isn't keeping his client informed of any significant discussions he's had with the Orioles. I've never had a client who didn't want to know of any approaches made by the other side.

I am absolutely certain that no formal proposal of an extension has been handed to Boras to give to Davis for consideration. Yes.

Also, we know that Chris Davis has not always told the truth as well.

Frobby, is there a difference between an lawyer representing a client and a sports agent representing a client? Are sports agents held to the same ethical standards that attorneys are?

Archived