Players' Tribune: Is the ERA of the Everyday Catcher Over?

weams

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/johnny-bench-mlb-catchers/

Since the beginning of baseball time, only 13 catchers have made it to the Hall of Fame. So on average, there?s approximately one that comes along every decade.

In my day alone, we had Gary Carter and Carlton Fisk ? names that people will always remember ? and guys like Steve Yeager, Randy Hundley, Jerry Grote and Manny Sanguill?n, who were great catchers in their own right. And because all of us played in that same era, I think we have a tendency to look at the game today and think:

Where have all the great catchers gone?

Ah, weams, you almost got me. I was about to post something like "totally not surprising that a 60 or 70-year-old former player thinks kids these days aren't as good as the awesome players from back in his day."

Then I read the sentence directly after the part you quoted:

But the fact is, catchers today are as good as they?ve ever been.

In fact, 12 of the 30 top catchers of all time by career rWAR have been active since 2000.

You do have to question Bench when he says Jerry Grote (career rWAR of 15) is a "great catcher in his own right." Matt Wieters has been nearly as valuable as Grote in a career that's (so far) half as long.

Ah, weams, you almost got me. I was about to post something like "totally not surprising that a 60 or 70-year-old former player thinks kids these days aren't as good as the awesome players from back in his day."

[/font][/color]

In fact, 12 of the 30 top catchers of all time by career rWAR have been active since 2000.

You do have to question Bench when he says Jerry Grote (career rWAR of 15) is a "great catcher in his own right." Matt Wieters has been nearly as valuable as Grote in a career that's (so far) half as long.

I am glad you read it.

[/font][/color]

And Wieters is the worst.

He might want to look in San Francisco.
They have a photo of him.

He wears gloves and can deliver in the clutch.

Perhaps we take a vote?

And he has comic timing as well as his timing at the plate.

There was more than a photo.

You hear about Buster Posey. He?s a guy who doesn?t come along very often. He?s already hit over 100 home runs and driven in almost 450 in his young career, and he?s calling great games in the World Series.

P'shaw. Chief Zimmer caught 125 games in 1890, without shinguards! Although he coulda been nippin' at Pud Galvin's bottle of bull testicle extract, I suppose.

The one time I went to the Hall Of Fame, they had a large display of catcher's masks through all the years. From the 1800's forward. The progression of the mask.

Archived