It Was Inevitable: 81-81

25 Nuggets

I don't see it as destiny at all. IMO you make your own destiny and losing all those tight games with the Twins wasn't any type of pre ordained destination whatsoever had we won all those games we would have been ok. The reason I believe we didn't was poor in game management action (or lack thereof ) by Buck. His not pulling his infield in closer when Britton is pitching against a team of speedy contact hitters was just flat out dumb and lost a number of games they should have won! It made no sense at all how he didn't manage that better!

I agree with this! A guy with an insane ground ball rate of Britton combined with the lack of good contact teams usually make against him. It makes a lot of sense.

Just like stepping up in the box on any knuckle ball pitcher not named R.A. Dickey. But yet you rarely see ball players do it.

I agree with this! A guy with an insane ground ball rate of Britton combined with the lack of good contact teams usually make against him. It makes a lot of sense.

Just like stepping up in the box on any knuckle ball pitcher not named R.A. Dickey. But yet you rarely see ball players do it.

Thanks.

23-29

18-5

5-15

15-7

5-16

15-9

After the 23-29 start it was like clockwork. Every 20-25 games they would go from pretty good to horrible. That's what happens when you can't count on your SPs to keep you in some games when the bats go quiet. Also when your offense is so dependent on the HR to score which is something they need to start getting away from the offseason.

I don't see it as destiny at all. IMO you make your own destiny and losing all those tight games with the Twins wasn't any type of pre ordained destination whatsoever had we won all those games we would have been ok. The reason I believe we didn't was poor in game management action (or lack thereof ) by Buck. His not pulling his infield in closer when Britton is pitching against a team of speedy contact hitters was just flat out dumb and lost a number of games they should have won! It made no sense at all how he didn't manage that better!

Pulling in your infield protects against what we all (in retrospect) know happened, but it also increases the risk of routine GBs sneaking through. I don't know the relative percentages, but I'd wager Buck does. Hindsight is a powerful and dangerous tool. Had a grounder eked through a drawn-in infield, would you (and others) have still felt the same?

This was a fairly talented team that underachieved at several key positions (LF, RF, SP1, SP2). Buck's not perfect, but surely a top 10 manager (top 5 for me) and was in no way a drag on this team's performance in '15.

Pulling in your infield protects against what we all (in retrospect) know happened, but it also increases the risk of routine GBs sneaking through. I don't know the relative percentages, but I'd wager Buck does. Hindsight is a powerful and dangerous tool. Had a grounder eked through a drawn-in infield, would you (and others) have still felt the same?

This was a fairly talented team that underachieved at several key positions (LF, RF, SP1, SP2). Buck's not perfect, but surely a top 10 manager (top 5 for me) and was in no way a drag on this team's performance in '15.

The problem was none of the Twins hitters were good enough to even hit a routine ground ball against Britton or they didn't try as they didn't need to. With the infield at normal depth with their speedsters any slow roller at normal depth of the infield defense is a sure hit. It happened repeatedly all season against Britton but never having such repeated cause of losing as it did against the Twins. I like Buck as a skipper but that was just obvious a failure on his part.

The problem was none of the Twins hitters were good enough to even hit a routine ground ball against Britton or they didn't try as they didn't need to. With the infield at normal depth with their speedsters any slow roller at normal depth of the infield defense is a sure hit. It happened repeatedly all season against Britton but never having such repeated cause of losing as it did against the Twins. I like Buck as a skipper but that was just obvious a failure on his part.

Britton lost ONE game to the Twins. How is that a "repeated cause of losing?"

This team under performed....The talent was there to win 85-90 games. We could have earned a wildcard spot with these players, and playing this season with the same players over again I would not be surprised if we get a wild card slot.

Starting pitching was below par, and the offence was a bit too streaky. No reason we can't compete for a playoff spot next year....just need to sign some talent, our own or strong replacements.

This team under performed....The talent was there to win 85-90 games. We could have earned a wildcard spot with these players, and playing this season with the same players over again I would not be surprised if we get a wild card slot.

Starting pitching was below par, and the offence was a bit too streaky. No reason we can't compete for a playoff spot next year....just need to sign some talent, our own or strong replacements.

I think you are losing sight of the fact that Orioles fans are entitled to a post-season berth every year. You know... like Yankee fans.

Archived