Buck's Mother Passed Away Last Night

weams

I am hoping whomever asked the question didn't know about Buck's Mom. I like to think people are better than being that rude.

I was watching it live and also thought, "Wow, there's no way he's aware that Buck's Mom just passed away, right?!?" If it was indeed the Yankees writer, than that adds a little credence to that theory. Presumably he meant "is it a sad day, even though your team won, since the season's over and you know a lot of these guys won't be back next year?" Obviously, the first 24 hours after your Mom dies is going to be one of the saddest days of anyone's life.

Assuming the writer's ignorance, I'd also assume that once he found out about Mrs. Showalter, the writer should've been sufficiently mortified at his own question, and apologized to Buck and the O's.

I was watching it live and also thought, "Wow, there's no way he's aware that Buck's Mom just passed away, right?!?" If it was indeed the Yankees writer, than that adds a little credence to that theory. Presumably he meant "is it a sad day, even though your team won, since the season's over and you know a lot of these guys won't be back next year?" Obviously, the first 24 hours after your Mom dies is going to be one of the saddest days of anyone's life.

Assuming the writer's ignorance, I'd also assume that once he found out about Mrs. Showalter, the writer should've been sufficiently mortified at his own question, and apologized to Buck and the O's.

Regardless of whether the writer was aware of the death or not, Buck seemed to believe he was asking about it. And he gave a great answer--the answer a true baseball man would give.

Buck was extremely uncomfortable in talking about this in the presser(and rightly so). I think the question was open ended but implying if "Buck was sad today". I think it is highly inappropriate to ask anyone in a press conference about losing a family member.Nothing short of a personal condolence privately is appropriate.

Melewski said in his quote stream that the reporter didn't know. He said the O's beat writers didn't know until after the game. The question was posed more as an "are you sad the season is over"?

Melewski said in his quote stream that the reporter didn't know. He said the O's beat writers didn't know until after the game. The question was posed more as an "are you sad the season is over"?

That's what I assumed the reporter mean - sad that the season's over.

My condolences to Buck and family.

Archived