Duquette on Re-signing Davis and Offseason Priorities

Slappy

This is significant. Sabermetricians said to expect an offensive rebound this season. If an offense scored the same number of runs, they went backwards relative to league average.

2014: 106 OPS+, 4.35 R/G, 6th in the AL (4.18)

2015: 96 OPS+, 4.40 R/G, 7th in the AL (4.39)

Without Davis, or someone like him, I believe the offense will be very much a problem next year. Not to mention, and I keep pointing this out, the lineup as is, is way too right handed. Although some of the batters have good splits vs RHP, overall it doesn't look good.

Improving the starting pitching staff is also very important, but the team can't afford to regress on O either.

i would try to trade for Josh Reddick. This year arb eligible. maybe Oakland will try to get rid of more payroll.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i would try to trade for Josh Reddick. This year arb eligible. maybe Oakland will try to get rid of more payroll.

I've supported getting Reddick for over a year. :) But Reddick is not Davis. I'll say, I'd much rather have Reddick than Parra. But it's another trade that you wonder what the cost would be (please not Tyler Wilson).

Would much rather have Davis back than the draft pick. I understand wanting to gather picks but Davis is much more of a sure thing unless maybe that pick is top five (which it won't be).

It's between the first and second round regardless, I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would much rather have Davis back than the draft pick. I understand wanting to gather picks but Davis is much more of a sure thing unless maybe that pick is top five (which it won't be).

Sure. But to say you don't lose a pick to sign him is disingenuous. It is part of the pain of whatever package you sign him to.

This is significant. Sabermetricians said to expect an offensive rebound this season. If an offense scored the same number of runs, they went backwards relative to league average.

2014: 106 OPS+, 4.35 R/G, 6th in the AL (4.18)

2015: 96 OPS+, 4.40 R/G, 7th in the AL (4.39)

Without Davis, or someone like him, I believe the offense will be very much a problem next year. Not to mention, and I keep pointing this out, the lineup as is, is way too right handed. Although some of the batters have good splits vs RHP, overall it doesn't look good.

Improving the starting pitching staff is also very important, but the team can't afford to regress on O either.

I expect AL offense to drop dramatically next year now that Norris is out of the league.

Kidding aside, I agree that we could use a few more LH bats that aren't named Flaherty or Lough. It looked better (on paper) with De Aza, Snider, Davis, Wieters, Cabrera and Paredes all starting, but Cabrera and the CO's flunked out, Davis and Wieters are likely gone, and Paredes still hasn't convinced everyone that he's a legitimate ML hitter. Even adding an arm or two may not be able to replace the absence of Chen and/or O'Day. Then with Davis gone... yikes. If they trot Walker and/or Mancini out there next year, it could be a long, tough summer.

This can't be much of a morale builder for players currently on the roster or potential free agent targets.

The No 1. ?beef? with Orioles fans is they don?t think the organization is willing to spend the money to bulk up the team, to which Duquette responds,?Our job is to find the sweet spot between a competitive team and affordable family entertainment for our fans.?

I'd expect my GM to say, "We'll do whatever it takes to make this ball club the best team in the league."

As a fan, I can't accept mediocrity.

Did anyone else hear this on the radio and have a problem with it?

This can't be much of a morale builder for players currently on the roster or potential free agent targets.

The No 1. ?beef? with Orioles fans is they don?t think the organization is willing to spend the money to bulk up the team, to which Duquette responds,?Our job is to find the sweet spot between a competitive team and affordable family entertainment for our fans.?

I'd expect my GM to say, "We'll do whatever it takes to make this ball club the best team in the league."

I see that quote and read it as: "We don't want to have to raise ticket prices to pay for an increase in payroll."

You know and I know that the Orioles are not going to have a 200M payroll next season right?

So why should Dan lie and say they will do whatever it takes?

I see that quote and read it as: "We don't want to have to raise ticket prices to pay for an increase in payroll."

You know and I know that the Orioles are not going to have a 200M payroll next season right?

So why should Dan lie and say they will do whatever it takes?[/QUOTE]

Hmm, so Dan is always forthright when speaking to the press?

I didn't say that.

The lie in this case would be rather transparent and unproductive.

Ah! So, sometimes in his job it's ok to lie! Now I get it. And what's worse, you support this skullduggery.

(I wondered if I would ever get skullduggery into a post)

I didn't hear this on the radio. But I do have a problem with it. I was a 29-game season ticket holder last year. Personally, I'd rather pay a bit more for my renewal than accept mediocrity on my team. I want more than "affordable family entertainment for our fans."

Archived