Duquette on Re-signing Davis and Offseason Priorities

Slappy

I see that quote and read it as: "We don't want to have to raise ticket prices to pay for an increase in payroll."

You know and I know that the Orioles are not going to have a 200M payroll next season right?

So why should Dan lie and say they will do whatever it takes?

Oh, you mean Dan doesn't intend to do whatever it takes to make this ball club the best team in the league?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Huh?

Doing "whatever if takes" isn't an option in the real world. Just like you can't actually give 110%.

Huh?

Are you equating "doing whatever it takes" with spending loads of money? These are not necessarily equivilent. I was questioning DD's statement about "family entertainment." And then the conversation later went to DD's alleged lying to the fans.

Huh?

Are you equating "doing whatever it takes" with spending loads of money? These are not necessarily equivilent. I was questioning DD's statement about "family entertainment." And then the conversation later went to DD's alleged lying to the fans.

I think at the very least "doing whatever it takes" involves spending loads of money. It would also include other things but spending money would certainly be high on the list.

For instance if they don't sign Price then they didn't do "whatever it takes" since there is no way that the entire pitching staff in 2016 will be superior to Price.

Huh?

I missed that statement about family entertainment. Can you give a source?

Duquette said this about Cruz after he left. I can see the same statement this year after Davis leaves(change the dollar figure). Also with Jones saying the same things he said last year. Deja VU;

"A lot of people look at the exit, at what we lost," Duquette said. "We lost the home runs, we lost the experience, we lost the on-base capabilities. But we didn't spend $90 million, either. So not only do we have young players available to come up and help the ballclub, we also have that money where we can reinvest. It's an issue, but I don't think it's an insurmountable issue to put together a good team for next year."

Jones, one of the veteran voices of the clubhouse, said he's eagerly anticipating the Orioles' next move.

"Now we'll see what's the move," said Jones, who is signed through 2018. "This is something I believed in while signing a six-year deal. … So, OK, the plan is me trusting Showalter. The famous slogan — 'In Buck we trust, Baltimore' — so he has to have something up his sleeve. Now we just have to sit and wait. It's a long offseason. The winter meetings are coming; it's a lot of things that are happening now. It's crazy, though. To me, I feel like I lost my superstar teammate. It's like I lost one of my core, but we'll see what they've got up their sleeves.

"I mean, something has to be brewing in order for them to let Markakis go. I have to have the respect for the front office that they deserve. I have to see what Showalter and Dan [Duquette] have up their sleeves. I've reached out to them, seeing what ideas they have. Not much luck there. But, hey, they have something up their sleeves. It's a long offseason. They better have something up their sleeves."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-duquette-markakis-1205-20141204-story.html

I didn't hear this on the radio. But I do have a problem with it. I was a 29-game season ticket holder last year. Personally, I'd rather pay a bit more for my renewal than accept mediocrity on my team. I want more than "affordable family entertainment for our fans."

I'm not willing to pay more. I want a good team with the money we bring in.

Duquette said this about Cruz after he left. I can see the same statement this year after Davis leaves(change the dollar figure). Also with Jones saying the same things he said last year. Deja VU;

"A lot of people look at the exit, at what we lost," Duquette said. "We lost the home runs, we lost the experience, we lost the on-base capabilities. But we didn't spend $90 million, either. So not only do we have young players available to come up and help the ballclub, we also have that money where we can reinvest. It's an issue, but I don't think it's an insurmountable issue to put together a good team for next year."

Jones, one of the veteran voices of the clubhouse, said he's eagerly anticipating the Orioles' next move.

"Now we'll see what's the move," said Jones, who is signed through 2018. "This is something I believed in while signing a six-year deal. … So, OK, the plan is me trusting Showalter. The famous slogan — 'In Buck we trust, Baltimore' — so he has to have something up his sleeve. Now we just have to sit and wait. It's a long offseason. The winter meetings are coming; it's a lot of things that are happening now. It's crazy, though. To me, I feel like I lost my superstar teammate. It's like I lost one of my core, but we'll see what they've got up their sleeves.

"I mean, something has to be brewing in order for them to let Markakis go. I have to have the respect for the front office that they deserve. I have to see what Showalter and Dan [Duquette] have up their sleeves. I've reached out to them, seeing what ideas they have. Not much luck there. But, hey, they have something up their sleeves. It's a long offseason. They better have something up their sleeves."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-duquette-markakis-1205-20141204-story.html

This is exactly how its going to unfold, except I think you might see Jones express a little more frustration this time.

I'm not willing to pay more. I want a good team with the money we bring in.
Curious: if the choice were between paying a bit more and accepting mediocrity, what would you choose?

I don't believe that the O's FO has to make this choice. They don't have to go willy-nilly with spending. But they will have to do some spending.

A lot of people look at the exit, at what we lost," Duquette said. "We lost the home runs, we lost the experience, we lost the on-base capabilities. But we didn't spend $90 million, either. So not only do we have young players available to come up and help the ballclub, we also have that money where we can reinvest. It's an issue, but I don't think it's an insurmountable issue to put together a good team for next year."
This is exactly how its going to unfold, except I think you might see Jones express a little more frustration this time.
Unfortunately, with the state of the O's farm system, there aren't any young players available for next year to come up and take Chris Davis's place. They didn't have them last year (to take Cruz's and Markakis's place) and they still don't have them. Duquette talks about "reinvesting." Where can he reinvest except in signing some FAs, especially some of our departing FAs, whom we helped develop or else who spent time with the O's?

Archived