Dylan Bundy Updates

accinfo

You don't think he's an option?

There's a big difference between "banking on" Bundy and having him as an option. The former would imply that he has the inside track on a rotation slot, and that for instance the O's might not re-sign Chen or sign a comparable replacement because they are counting on Bundy to be in the rotation. I think that this would be a bad idea.

Saying that Bundy is an option just means that he goes into the same category as Tyler Wilson, Mike Wright and Joe Gunkel--probably not in the opening day rotation barring injury, but in line to step into the rotation at some point in 2016 if there is a need and if he is pitching well out of the bullpen or at Norfolk (assuming that he starts the season there on injury rehab).

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a big difference between "banking on" Bundy and having him as an option. The former would imply that he has the inside track on a rotation slot, and that for instance the O's might not re-sign Chen or sign a comparable replacement because they are counting on Bundy to be in the rotation. I think that this would be a bad idea.

Saying that Bundy is an option just means that he goes into the same category as Tyler Wilson, Mike Wright and Joe Gunkel--probably not in the opening day rotation barring injury, but in line to step into the rotation at some point in 2016 if there is a need and if he is pitching well out of the bullpen or at Norfolk (assuming that he starts the season there on injury rehab).

Doesn't he basically have to start the season with the big club though? Not that means he has to start in the rotation, of course. But hopefully, he's healthy (and effective) enough to be the 2-3 inning long reliever and spot starter we've had for the last few years.

Of course, and if he isn't on the DL to start the season (or even if he is) they could manage his innings and have him at about 120 IP as a starter. I would hope that being just an option to be 5th starter candidate he tops the list of the guys you mentioned, but they may all have to be used.

Doesn't he basically have to start the season with the big club though? Not that means he has to start in the rotation, of course. But hopefully, he's healthy (and effective) enough to be the 2-3 inning long reliever and spot starter we've had for the last few years.

I assume he could have a "pulled oblique" the last day of spring training and they put him on the DL and he rehabs in Norfolk at the beginning of the season.

I agree that counting on him right now as part of the rotation is a mistake but they have invested enough money in this still very young prospect they are going to give him every chance to succeed. Two years from TJ surgery his elbow should be fine. This shoulder thing seems to be a bit of a freak occurrence that seems to be resolved.

I assume he could have a "pulled oblique" the last day of spring training and they put him on the DL and he rehabs in Norfolk at the beginning of the season.

I agree that counting on him right now as part of the rotation is a mistake but they have invested enough money in this still very young prospect they are going to give him every chance to succeed. Two years from TJ surgery his elbow should be fine. This shoulder thing seems to be a bit of a freak occurrence that seems to be resolved.

i believe if he is healthy, he is our fifth starter.

I am ok with that. In 2012 they picked up Michael Gonzalez and Chen and put them in the rotation. That worked out. I am a glass half-full person anyway. I know that if Dylan Bundy with his resume had been drafted by someone else #1 and was available this off season, people here would be clamoring for us to pick him up.

You don't think he's an option?

I think he needs to be treated as a Rule V reliever, not an option as a starter. He's been out of baseball for how long? Then pitched for a little while...then out of baseball again. He hasn't been throwing, facing live hitting or any of that. And there's a very real chance he'll be hurt again. Keep in mind we're talking shoulder this time. So, yeah, throw him in the back of the bullpen if he's healthy and see if he can even get major league hitters out. But in no way, shape or form should be counted on to be in the rotation at the start of the year or even shortly into the season.

That better not be the case. If he is a starter then our depth is poor. No way can they go into the season with him as a starter. Let's keep the kid healthy for a year and then worry about him being a starter. Let him be the long man and if he evolves into more than that is a bonus.

I believe that Bundy will start the season on the DL which is legitimate since he is still recovering from injury and surgery. They will have him start in extended spring training to build up his arm strength and innings. When extended spring training ends or they think that he is ready, they will send him to one of the minor league teams for a rehab assignment. Then they'll evaluate his condition and decide to either activate him or keep him on the DL. Once activated, I think he'll start the season in the bullpen and they'll let him accumulate additional innings there during the remainder of '16. He may get a spot start or two late in the season, but I don't think he'll become a full-time starter until 2017. Just my 2 cents.

I believe that Bundy will start the season on the DL which is legitimate since he is still recovering from injury and surgery. They will have him start in extended spring training to build up his arm strength and innings. When extended spring training ends or they think that he is ready, they will send him to one of the minor league teams for a rehab assignment. Then they'll evaluate his condition and decide to either activate him or keep him on the DL. Once activated, I think he'll start the season in the bullpen and they'll let him accumulate additional innings there during the remainder of '16. He may get a spot start or two late in the season, but I don't think he'll become a full-time starter until 2017. Just my 2 cents.

If you do that he won't have enough innings in 2016 to be a full-time starter in 2017.

Hopefully, he'll play in one of the fall or winter leagues, and that will tell us a lot.

If he's healthy come opening day, he should be on the 25 man roster.

Archived