Dylan Bundy Updates

accinfo

Great news indeed.

Understanding that we shouldn't be counting on Bundy as a central piece next year (ultimately, to me, next year is about keeping him healthy and getting him back on track to be a sizable part of our plans going forward), what is a reasonable innings cap for a guy like Bundy next year?

He threw 22 innings in Bowie before being shut down and, if everything goes right in the AFL, he'll throw another 20-30 (is that about right, or too many?) I can't imagine a scenario in which we want to push him beyond 80-100 innings, but I would certainly defer to anyone that knows a bit more than I do about inning progressions for pitchers coming off major injuries.

Seems to me that the most likely scenario is extended spring training to build strength, etc; however, if he is clearly healthy and effective in the spring, do we bring him north and confine him to a kind of swing role in the bullpen? Try to keep his innings down to maintain the possibility of making starts later in the year?

All of this assumes (hopes, prays, etc) for a return to health, and at least some of previous form, for Dylan. He's made a few minor steps in the right direction, the next being staying healthy through the AFL. That said, makes for an interesting debate on how we'd employ him, if we have him healthy and effective, next year.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this trend continues into the spring. There obviously aren't any expectations that Bundy will at any point be a rotation arm next year due to inexperience and innings limitations, however if he's good to go, it would be awesome to plant him in the pen. Let him get shots at ML quality hitters and at the same time strengthen the pen. Fingers crossed for good health going forward for him and Harvey

AFL bound.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/10/dylan-bundy-is-going-to-pitch-in-the-arizona-fall-league.html

Dr. James Andrews cleared Bundy last month to start a throwing program after he was shut down with discomfort caused by calcification in the Teres minor muscle behind his right shoulder. He's been on a throwing progression in Sarasota, Fla., that has reached the point where he is set to throw live batting practice. After that, he would face hitters in a game situation, and that will apparently come in the AFL.

Have ...... a ...... greenie.

I just want him healthy. We can talk rotation late 2016 or (more likely) 2017 if he stays healthy. A healthy, solid piece in the pen is much better than a flamed out former #1 draft pick fresh out of high school.

To that end: the O's need to stop drafting high school pitchers. Because they never pan out for them.

h, etc; however, if he is clearly healthy and effective in the spring, do we bring him north and confine him to a kind of swing role in the bullpen? Try to keep his innings down to maintain the possibility of making starts later in the year?

He's coming north no matter what, healthy and effective or not. He's out of options so he's got to be either on the DL or in the bullpen. He'll presumably wind up taking the TJ McFarland/Jason Garcia role next year.

He's coming north no matter what, healthy and effective or not. He's out of options so he's got to be either on the DL or in the bullpen. He'll presumably wind up taking the TJ McFarland/Jason Garcia role next year.

Sure...well aware of the fact that he can't be optioned. If we DL him, as you suggested is possible, I would imagine that he'll begin a lengthy "rehab" in extended spring training. That was what I meant there.

Jim Palmer

age 20 - 208 innings

age 21 - 83 innings

age 22- 37 innings

age 23 - 181 innings

Ah! The good old days. When you were healthy enough to pitch, you pitched, and pitched, and pitched.

Ros Grimsely was on the radio this past season on more than one occasion and said that they cuddle pitchers too much, in his opinion.

Maybe if they hadn't abused him, he would have thrown more than the 2,000 ML innings that he did?

At age 20, in the minor leagues, Grimsley thew 188 innings. Again, he survived to pitcher over 2,000 ML innings.

At age 24, he led the 1974 O's in IP with 295.2. Here's how the other three members of that rotation finished in career IP.

Palmer - 3,948

Cuellar - 2,808

McNally - 2,652.2

At 2,105 IP, Grimsley was a piker.

Archived