With Hudson and Buehrle retiring and Sabathia in rehab, Mussina's 270 wins looks better all the time

Frobby

Active wins leaders:

Hudson 222 (39, retiring)

Colon 218 (42)

Buehrle 214 (36, retiring)

Sabathia 214 (34, in rehab)

Lackey 165 (36)

Zito 165 (37)

Burnett 164 (38, retiring)

Verlander 157 (32)

Garcia 156 (38)

Haren 153 (34)

The only two on that list who have any chance of getting to 270 are Sabathia and Verlander. In both cases, I'd say the odds are against them.

Active wins leaders:

Hudson 222 (39, retiring)

Colon 218 (42)

Buehrle 214 (36, retiring)

Sabathia 214 (34, in rehab)

Lackey 165 (36)

Zito 165 (37)

Burnett 164 (38, retiring)

Verlander 157 (32)

Garcia 156 (38)

Haren 153 (34)

The only two on that list who have any chance of getting to 270 are Sabathia and Verlander. In both cases, I'd say the odds are against them.

I think pitching wins look more irrelevant all the time.

By the time the current generation of great pitchers reach consideration for the Hall I expect pitching wins to be very low on the criteria of voters. Remember they are culling the herd.

I think pitching wins look more irrelevant all the time.

By the time the current generation of great pitchers reach consideration for the Hall I expect pitching wins to be very low on the criteria of voters. Remember they are culling the herd.

It'll take a long time for the hurd to be fully culled. And even when it's culled there are still plenty of folks in their 30s and 40s who are in the BBWAA who cling to antiquated notions. Watch the NL Cy Young this year - I bet Arrieta walks away with it easily despite Greinke being as good or better. All because of three wins and three extra CGs/shutouts.

It'll take a long time for the hurd to be fully culled. And even when it's culled there are still plenty of folks in their 30s and 40s who are in the BBWAA who cling to antiquated notions. Watch the NL Cy Young this year - I bet Arrieta walks away with it easily despite Greinke being as good or better. All because of three wins and three extra CGs/shutouts.

I think his dominance in the second half will also be cited.

Archived