What Team Will Chris Davis Be Playing for in 2016?

TonySoprano

Who Signs Davis?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Who Signs Davis?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the Astros are probably ready for a big payroll spike, they have the minor league player of the year AJ Reed looming at 1B, and Gattis, Gomez, Springer for next year's OF.

Gattis could DH, but Davis hasn't played much LF, and Springer's likely better than him in RF. Reed I've read has no defensive flexibility at all.

Seems like Houston will be tougher in the pitcher market.

After using Alfaro to get Hamels, I could see Rangers interested in Wieters.

My inclination is that he stays in B'more. I can't see Angelos/Duquette taking the heat that would come from losing Cruz last year and losing CD this year.

Of all of our FA's (aside from Pearce) he's the one that makes the most sense. If they want to sell tickets, they can't use the band-aid plan they used this year. Most of us haven't forgiven them for letting Nick go. I think they give him whatever it will take to keep him.

I agree with this. There would be a huge public relations disaster if Angelos/Duquette fail to pay to bring Chris Davis back. Last year, DD allowed both Cruz and Markakis to walk. If they are inclined to let Davis walk and sign a similarly skilled FA, it will be just as expensive, if not more. If they allow Davis to walk this year and try DD's band-aid approach again, that's not going to work. The band-aid approach didn't work last year and it's not going to work this year.

I agree with this. There would be a huge public relations disaster if Angelos/Duquette fail to pay to bring Chris Davis back. Last year, DD allowed both Cruz and Markakis to walk. If they are inclined to let Davis walk and sign a similarly skilled FA, it will be just as expensive, if not more. If they allow Davis to walk this year and try DD's band-aid approach again, that's not going to work. The band-aid approach didn't work last year and it's not going to work this year.

Not that I'm really arguing your point, but the mid-to-late 1970s Orioles lost a ton of talent to free agency and pending free agency, plugged in band-aids, and just kept on winning 90+ games a year. They lost Reggie (HOFer), Grich (near-HOFer), Baylor (All Star, MVP), Garland (20-game winner), Ross Grimsley (20-game winner), in a 2-3 year period. They signed essentially no free agents until the early 80s. The farm system was more productive up until about 1981, but still. That's a ton of talent and zero free agents to replace them.

Not that I'm really arguing your point, but the mid-to-late 1970s Orioles lost a ton of talent to free agency and pending free agency, plugged in band-aids, and just kept on winning 90+ games a year. They lost Reggie (HOFer), Grich (near-HOFer), Baylor (All Star, MVP), Garland (20-game winner), Ross Grimsley (20-game winner), in a 2-3 year period. They signed essentially no free agents until the early 80s. The farm system was more productive up until about 1981, but still. That's a ton of talent and zero free agents to replace them.
But the 2015 Orioles don't have the type of farm system that they had back then.

But the 2015 Orioles don't have the type of farm system that they had back then.

Maybe not. But the O's also won with a lot of players who'd get mocked as el-cheapo Duquette specials like Benny Ayala and John Lowenstein, Pat Kelly, Larry Harlow, Kiko Garcia. They platooned all over the place with guys other teams wouldn't play.

A LOT more productive. Mike Flanagan, Scottie McGregor, Steve Stone, Dennis Martinez, Storm Davis, Mike Boddicker, Cal Ripken, Eddie Murray, etc.

That's 6 good starters right there. We have problems producing one good one today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you imagine?! I can't think a more persona non-grata in Camden Yards than Teixiera. Maybe Bautista but that's it.
A LOT more productive. Mike Flanagan, Scottie McGregor, Steve Stone, Dennis Martinez, Storm Davis, Mike Boddicker, Cal Ripken, Eddie Murray, etc.

That's 6 good starters right there. We have problems producing one good one today.

It was better, but those guys were produced over 6, 7, 8 years. Plus McGregor was a product of the Yanks system. Stone was a rare free agent signing after six consecutive years with worse-than-league ERAs with the White Sox and Cubs. Flanagan debuted in '75, Boddicker didn't stick until '83. I don't think it's unreasonable to think the Orioles could get nearly comparable value out of their system from, say, 2011-2018. Manny, Schoop, Britton, Tillman, Gausman, and a few others over the next few years.

Maybe not. But the O's also won with a lot of players who'd get mocked as el-cheapo Duquette specials like Benny Ayala and John Lowenstein, Pat Kelly, Larry Harlow, Kiko Garcia. They platooned all over the place with guys other teams wouldn't play.

The platoons were certainly a solid part of those teams, but the starting pitching is a big difference. Our 4th and 5th starters from those years would have been our 1st or 2nd starters on our current teams.

Archived