What Team Will Chris Davis Be Playing for in 2016?

TonySoprano

Who Signs Davis?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Who Signs Davis?

Boston will eat some money to move players if necessary. It is a whole new regime, and a rather intelligent one at that. Similar situation in Seattle, but I don't see him going there as I think they will focus on trades and pitching.

Teams that are willing to spend money will find a way if Davis is their target. Power is enticing and hard too come by. Besides, a low ball offer just to stay in Baltimore will be rejected by Boras just on principle.

It should be pretty hard for the Red Sox to trade Ramirez. 3/66 with a vesting option and he does not have a position. He just had a 717 OPS. He has had one year where the has played more then 450 at bats in the 5 seasons. And he is a head case.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You didn't answer my question. Where do you think he ends up besides BAL?

Looks to me that anyone besides the O's who signs him is going to have to make a trade to clear payroll. And it will cost them a draft choice. Who would do that?

Yankees could trade Beltran to someone that needs a DH and then put Davis in right field until Tex goes.

Boston could trade Castillo. They would have eat some money. Put Davis in left for a season. Until Ortiz retires and they can move Ramirez to DH. Castillo has 5/62m left. And he just hit for a 647 OPS. Tough one.

The Cards make sense until you say 20m times 6 years. Its just not their style. They would trade for another less expensive player like they did with Heyward. They don't llke to give up draft choices either. Even if it is #30.

As I said, I haven't come up with anything that makes much sense.

Looks to me that anyone besides the O's who signs him is going to have to make a trade to clear payroll. And it will cost them a draft choice. Who would do that?

Yankees could trade Beltran to someone that needs a DH and then put Davis in right field until Tex goes.

Boston could trade Castillo. They would have eat some money. Put Davis in left for a season. Until Ortiz retires and they can move Ramirez to DH. Castillo has 5/62m left. And he just hit for a 647 OPS. Tough one.

The Cards make sense until you say 20m times 6 years. Its just not their style. They would trade for another less expensive player like they did with Heyward. They don't llke to give up draft choices either. Even if it is #30.

I wouldn't count the Cards out if they want him. They save close to $12M if Heyward leaves when you add that to the declines in Molina and Peralta contracts.

Didn't they give up a pick for Peralta? Besides, after getting a pick for Heyward, they'd only drop back five to 10 slots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So he goes to BAL by default because all the clubs with money can't bring themselves to eat some salary and make room for him? BTW why is it that the Gnats can't bring themselves to let go of that oft aging injured 16 HR 1B.

I wouldn't count the Cards out if they want him. They save close to $12M if Heyward leaves when you add that to the declines in Molina and Peralta contracts.

Didn't they give up a pick for Peralta? Besides, after getting a pick for Heyward, they'd only drop back five to 10 slots.

I agree that if the Cards want to make it happen they have the finance means to make it happen. The question is do they want to spend that much money on one player? After winning 100 games.

They have 25 M in FA contracts off the books, another 20 M in options if they don't pick them up, plus a lot of arb contracts they don't necessarily have to tender. They have the wiggle room to sign Davis if they want to. BTW their payroll, according to Baseball Reference, ended up at about 144 M.

So he goes to BAL by default because all the clubs with money can't bring themselves to eat some salary and make room for him? BTW why is it that the Gnats can't bring themselves to let go of that oft aging injured 16 HR 1B.

Zimmerman has 4/62 left on this contract plus 5/10m personal service contract after he retires. And he has a no trade clause.

Do you have some dynamite. You may have to use it to get him out of Washington.

Zimmerman will play most of 2016 at 31 years old.

Zimmerman is signed thru 2019 at substantial money, with an option for 2020. $14 million/year thru 2018 and $18 million in 2019 isn't the kind of money that is easily thrown away. Zimmerman is a huge fan favorite in Washington, and first base is really the only position he can play now. The Nationals seem to be satisfied with Clint Robinson backing him up. So, why is it that you believe that the Nationals will let Zimmerman go?

Zimmerman is signed thru 2019 at substantial money, with an option for 2020. $14 million/year thru 2018 and $18 million in 2019 isn't the kind of money that is easily thrown away. Zimmerman is a huge fan favorite in Washington, and first base is really the only position he can play now. The Nationals seem to be satisfied with Clint Robinson backing him up. So, why is it that you believe that the Nationals will let Zimmerman go?
Didn't realize Zimmerman was so precious. I think if Rizzo wants to keep his job he'd better be creative and find some offense to make up for Zimmerman and Werth-less. Maybe they move Harper back to CF and play Davis in RF until Zimmermann gets injured again.

Didn't realize Zimmerman was so precious. I think if Rizzo wants to keep his job he'd better be creative and find some offense to make up for Zimmerman and Werth-less. Maybe they move Harper back to CF and play Davis in RF until Zimmermann gets injured again.

Wieters may fit in Washington. If he returns to 22 HR and 80 RBI that could help them. Of course a healthy Wieters could fit a lot of places.

I think that Davis will sign with the Mets. The Mets had a payroll of $149 mill back in 2009. Now that they are winning and selling tickets, plus all the extra revenue that comes with that, they can easily afford Davis. The only big contracts they have are Granderson and Wright.

I hope the O's try to sign him, but I don't expect more than a token offer.

Archived