Roch: Rick Adair Talks About Jake

weams

I don't remember the key point of that whole article. I don't remember Arrieta having elbow surgery in the fall of 2011.

So let me get this straight, he has elbow surgery in fall 2011 and we trade him 3 months into the 2012 season because his control isn't good enough?????

Do I have that right? That's insane of us.

2013. 2013.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty close to how I feel. Jake always gave his best effort. A lot of this stuff by Adair is hindsight, but I thought it notable he admitted butting heads with Jake. A lot of that had to with not only the use of the cutter but his crossfire delivery.

Also, I feel bad for Cubs fans. I'd like those poor people to finally have a winning team.

All that stuff from Adair sounds legit but also seems a bit like trying to cover the real reason why he is so successful now with the Cubs which doesn't take a rocket scientist to see and that is they changed his delivery. He now has a simple as can be delivery where he seems to just pitch out of the stretch all the time now. He used to drive me nuts watching him near the end of his Orioles career as he would do ok for a while out of the full windup but as soon as he got a runner on base just lose his command completely when pitching out of the stretch. So the Cubs just got him to simplify things and learn how to pitch out of the stretch all the time and it had worked like a charm!

He now has a simple as can be delivery where he seems to just pitch out of the stretch all the time now. He used to drive me nuts watching him near the end of his Orioles career as he would do ok for a while out of the full windup but as soon as he got a runner on base just lose his command completely when pitching out of the stretch. So the Cubs just got him to simplify things and learn how to pitch out of the stretch all the time and it had worked like a charm!

Pretty spot on.

All that stuff from Adair sounds legit but also seems a bit like trying to cover the real reason why he is so successful now with the Cubs which doesn't take a rocket scientist to see and that is they changed his delivery. He now has a simple as can be delivery where he seems to just pitch out of the stretch all the time now. He used to drive me nuts watching him near the end of his Orioles career as he would do ok for a while out of the full windup but as soon as he got a runner on base just lose his command completely when pitching out of the stretch. So the Cubs just got him to simplify things and learn how to pitch out of the stretch all the time and it had worked like a charm!

Why doesn't everyone just pitch out of the stretch all the time? How much does it cost in velocity?

The Cubs didn't change his delivery in regards to where he stands before before the pitch from the windup. It's a modified windup in which he stands to the side but he still steps back with his left leg. He doesn't do that in a true stretch position. In the stretch he lifts his left leg up and puts it back down. It's a subtle difference but noticeable.

The Orioles wanted Jake to open upon release instead of throwing across his body citing undue stress on the arm. Along with their disagreements about pitch selection Jake always had a crossfire delivery and was never comfortable being forced to change that part of himself.

He should have had the surgery earlier but decided to try and pitch through it.

There was concerns that the removal of the mass could lead to problems with the UCL. The ways its worked out indicates it should have been done sooner, but there was some risk.

There was concerns that the removal of the mass could lead to problems with the UCL. The ways its worked out indicates it should have been done sooner, but there was some risk.

I don't recall that. I recall that the injury itself leading to issues, not the surgery. I recall it being Jake's decision like Markakis and his cyst.

Adair can be thrilled and happy but Im not. I dont wish success for Jake. He's no longer an Oriole so why would I wish him success when he didnt do it for us and now somebody else is benefitting?

Oh my gosh...lol. That's the mindset of a 6-year-old. Sometimes in life things don't happen the way we want them to. I'm sure Jake would have liked to have had more success as an Oriole. How someone can't be happy for another person's success is mind boggling.

I don't recall that. I recall that the injury itself leading to issues, not the surgery. I recall it being Jake's decision like Markakis and his cyst.

It was Jake's decision ultimately and I believe the club was in favor of the surgery before Jake, but the reason cited for attempting to pitch through was the potential instability created by removing the mass. The issue itself did create issues from time to time dating back to college, but Jake had always pitched through it.

Oh my gosh...lol. That's the mindset of a 6-year-old. Sometimes in life things don't happen the way we want them to. I'm sure Jake would have liked to have had more success as an Oriole. How someone can't be happy for another person's success is mind boggling.

I would not be happy if Jake was doing this for the Yanks or BoSox. Since he's over in the NL, yeah, I'm happy for the guy, and glad to see him dominating the Pirates tonight. I still haven't forgotten 1979 (was a little too young to suffer much in 71). F the Pirates! Go Jake!!!

The Cubs didn't change his delivery in regards to where he stands before before the pitch from the windup. It's a modified windup in which he stands to the side but he still steps back with his left leg. He doesn't do that in a true stretch position. In the stretch he lifts his left leg up and puts it back down. It's a subtle difference but noticeable.

The Orioles wanted Jake to open upon release instead of throwing across his body citing undue stress on the arm. Along with their disagreements about pitch selection Jake always had a crossfire delivery and was never comfortable being forced to change that part of himself.

This is what pisses me off the most. Arrieta tried it their way, it was obvious it wasn't working.

You never forget who brought you to the dance. Why not just let him go back to what made him successful in the first place? It's appalling to me that they couldn't do that with him.

Archived