Roch: Rick Adair Talks About Jake

weams

So a fairly minor surgery he had in late 2011 kept him from being dominate until 2014? I wouldn't buy that even if it weren't being sold by a guy with a vested interest in not having it be his fault.

Even if it were all true, it doesn't excuse our trade at all, if we were giving away a pitcher we knew was still on the mend.

Given that we didn't move Jake until 2013, I don't know how "on the mend" he still would have been.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So a fairly minor surgery he had in late 2011 kept him from being dominate until 2014? I wouldn't buy that even if it weren't being sold by a guy with a vested interest in not having it be his fault.

Even if it were all true, it doesn't excuse our trade at all, if we were giving away a pitcher we knew was still on the mend.

You are more than welcome to your opinions, and I am sure there are some that share them and just as I am sure, there are some that do not agree.

he was a diamond in the rough, that the Cubs lucked out on, he was on the verge of being DFA, the fans here was against him, and I don't believe DD had too much of a response from the league in visiting the trade scene.

Fine. Beat your head into the wall as often as you want, siting Captain Hindsight.

Nobody thought Jake had this in him. Not the Cubs, not the Orioles, not anybody. He was a trash heap player that the Cubs figured they might be able to get a little something out of, not a future Cy Young candidate. Crap happens.

That's essentially wrong, inasmuch as a statement about the Cubs' opinions can be right/wrong. Just Google reactions to the Arrieta trade (from the Chicago perspective) dating back to when it actually took place. Or read some of the other threads here concerning Arrieta more closely. Plenty of information's been posted indicating that the Cubs were pretty high on Arrieta, and happy to get him.

I agree that Arrieta wasn't ever going to amount to anything in Baltimore, but that's because Baltimore's developmental system blew when he was here (as it continues to blow now).

That's essentially wrong, inasmuch as a statement about the Cubs' opinions can be right/wrong. Just Google reactions to the Arrieta trade (from the Chicago perspective) dating back to when it actually took place. Or read some of the other threads here concerning Arrieta more closely. Plenty of information's been posted indicating that the Cubs were pretty high on Arrieta, and happy to get him.

I agree that Arrieta wasn't ever going to amount to anything in Baltimore, but that's because Baltimore's developmental system blew when he was here (as it continues to blow now).

Since you asked:

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs’ July 2 trade of right-hander Scott Feldman to the Orioles for Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop appeared to continue their path toward another year without a competitive team.

Fine. Beat your head into the wall as often as you want, siting Captain Hindsight.

Nobody thought Jake had this in him. Not the Cubs, not the Orioles, not anybody. He was a trash heap player that the Cubs figured they might be able to get a little something out of, not a future Cy Young candidate. Crap happens.

Actually, a lot of people though Jake had this in him until the O's ran him into the ground. And clearly the Cubs saw something in him because they gave up something of value to get him.

Actually, a lot of people though Jake had this in him until the O's ran him into the ground. And clearly the Cubs saw something in him because they gave up something of value to get him.

Actually, most of the fans here was done with Jake, disappointment was high, only the vocal minority was upset:

Baltimore GM Dan Duquette said. Arrieta, only 27, has a 5.46 ERA in 358 career innings after projecting as perhaps a good No. 3 starter in the minors. Moving anywhere, but especially to the National League, should help him. Arrieta is hopeful:
Arrieta on change of scenery: “I think that is really the best way to look at it. This is something that is going to do me a lot of good."
— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun)
July 2, 2013

Since you asked:

OK, rule of thumb: if you're going to be a smart---, try to make sure that this...

In Arrieta and Strop the Cubs may have found the next staff ace and closer in one deal.

...is not literally one sentence removed your copy/paste selection in the story you dug up.

Actually, most of the fans here was done with Jake, disappointment was high, only the vocal minority was upset:

I hope the individuals employed inside the warehouse are using something more scientific than fan sentiment when making these decisions...though I admit I did somewhat embrace that approach in another thread as I don't see where the results would be much different if the club went that route.

OK, rule of thumb: if you're going to be a smart---, try to make sure that this...

...is not literally one sentence removed your copy/paste selection in the story you dug up.

Well done!!!

"It's been that way forever, unfortunately. Maybe it's based on an overload of information or a constant focus on the wrong things. It's hard to have success here in the major leagues, let alone consistent success, if you're worried about variables that you cannot control."
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13...-determinationThe part in bold exemplifies to me how Jake felt here. Look at him now, there's a confidence. Adair admits they clashed and one of the main sticking points was throwing across his body or what is now called a crossfire delivery.

I get teaching specific philosophy or technique, I've done it, but just like with hitting instructors, sometimes it's best to sit back and let an athlete perform only stepping in when they need the help.

No one had better stuff than him at the time. We could have done just what the Cubs did with as far as sending him down for the remainder of that season and then bring him back the following spring.

At some they point they could have had to have the same conversation the Cubs had with him in a different way. Let him know they'd support him throwing in whatever way he was comfortable and could have success.

Jake should be a cautionary tale for the Orioles in their use of Gausman, Bundy and Harvey.

Or maybe the NL is not as good as the AL. I think the NL has a dearth of middle-ground talent and has for years.

American League has won season series in 2015 (12th straight year) with a record of 168 - 130 (.565) as of now. AL Leads all time series 2517 - 2255 (.527)

So much for NL pitchers hitting being an advantage.

I don't think any of the sub 2 era guys in the NL would be so in the AL.

Im an Orioles fan, not a Cubs fan. If you guys all wanna root for the Cubs thats on you, but it doesnt mean I have to. I dont care if the Cubs ever win another game. They're not my team. It has nothing to do with the O's being in the post season or not.

That's fine. You don't have to root for him. But when you start saying that anyone who roots for Arrieta isn't a "passionate fan," that's when you're spouting nonsense.

I'm sorry, but I can't understand how two short years after someone can't hit the strike zone to save their life and costs the Orioles a postseason bid in 2013, he's suddenly pitching to a 0.75 ERA in the second half and shutting out the team with the second-best record in the ML.

I don't believe in coincidences. I think someone was unhappy in Baltimore for whatever reason, and decided not to play very well so he could leave. Just my two cents. Something doesn't add up here.

I don't understand your logic here. How does the fact that Arrieta is pitching much better for the Cubs than the Orioles somehow lead to the conclusion that Arrieta tanked to get out of Baltimore? Isn't it possible -- and in fact, probable -- that Arrieta just wasn't coached well in Baltimore?

Or maybe the NL is not as good as the AL. I think the NL has a dearth of middle-ground talent and has for years.

American League has won season series in 2015 (12th straight year) with a record of 168 - 130 (.565) as of now. AL Leads all time series 2517 - 2255 (.527)

So much for NL pitchers hitting being an advantage.

I don't think any of the sub 2 era guys in the NL would be so in the AL.

This is a really good point, and one I was thinking of when I watched the game last night. Looking at the Pirates lineup, I was amazed they won 98 games. Marte was their "clean-up" hitter and he looks more like a 7 hole hitter to me. The Red Sox have a much better lineup than the Pirates. And Toronto is light years better than them. Now the Cubs are an interesting case because they have a lot of late 80s Tigers types in there....low average guys who crush the ball. Most NL teams aren't built like that on offense.

In Arrieta and Strop the Cubs may have found the next staff ace and closer in one deal.

And you know that if the Orioles had acquired two pitchers with Strop's and Arrieta's resume and touted them as the next ace and the next closer you'd accuse them of being on industrial strength hallucinogens.

This annoys me. And they're doing it again by forcing Gausman to pitch from the 3rd base side of the rubber. Stop trying to get all these different guys to fit into one mold. Not all of them are going to be able to be the same exact pitcher. A certain guy's formula for success might not include a quick time to the plate. Accept it, play to his strengths, and stop trying to force something on him that will more than likely make him less effective.

Exactly. This needs to be part of the learning process this organization undergoes. Every kid learns differently in school and so do grown-ups. Maybe other organizations do this stuff too, but I guess their "stuff" is flat out better than ours because what we do doesn't work. I am starting to feel really sorry for our pitchers.

Archived