Randy Edsall FIRED ! Locksley Interim HC

Danielos38

I think he genuinely likes MSU. Paid well, no ridiculous expectations. He's not a high profile guy.

He's tried to leave MSU before. He interviewed for the Miami job a few years ago but apparently is an insufferable interview. I've also heard he is a NE guy who would like to go back to the NE.

My only problem with him is he doesn't seem to be a very good recruiter. Seems like he can land the 3 star guy, and that guy will stay a 3 star guy in college. Which is fine if he is at Southern Cal or a Texas school or something where a bad recruiter will stand land a bunch of 4 star recruits. But at MD I'd be somewhat apprehensive. Although I think it would be as good as MD can do, and would be very happy with it.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would Chip Kelly be interested in MD when USC and the Titans are both waiting?

If Les leaves, I could see him going to UGA just to stick it to the people at LSU. But why would he give up the job he has for MD? Perspective, man.

Word is he hates the "college" aspect to college coaching. He just wants to show up and coach and go home. So he will probably try to hang around the NFL for as long as possible.

It would also be crazy for him to go to MD. If he comes back to college, he is going to go someplace where he can field as talented teams as Saban and Meyer and company. No more just relying on the system to take him as far as it can. And MD does not provide him that chance.

I think we have to have realistic expectations. The Nick Sabans of this world are not coming to Maryland. In Frank Reich you get a guy who is an offensive coordinator in the NFL, a motivational speaker (should help in recruiting), and a former Terp to boot (Important when trying to talk about Maryland pride!).

Obviously his lack of head coaching experience is a bit of a concern, but I could think of worse choices.

He's tried to leave MSU before. He interviewed for the Miami job a few years ago but apparently is an insufferable interview. I've also heard he is a NE guy who would like to go back to the NE.

My only problem with him is he doesn't seem to be a very good recruiter. Seems like he can land the 3 star guy' date=' and that guy will stay a 3 star guy in college. Which is fine if he is at Southern Cal or a Texas school or something where a bad recruiter will stand land a bunch of 4 star recruits. But at MD I'd be somewhat apprehensive. Although I think it would be as good as MD can do, and would be very happy with it.[/quote']

That was 5 years ago. I'd say he does a good job of coaching up these 3 and 4 star guys. It's incredibly difficult to recruit in and coach in the SEC West, and he's done a great job at it.

I think we have to have realistic expectations. The Nick Sabans of this world are not coming to Maryland. In Frank Reich you get a guy who is an offensive coordinator in the NFL, a motivational speaker (should help in recruiting), and a former Terp to boot (Important when trying to talk about Maryland pride!).

Obviously his lack of head coaching experience is a bit of a concern, but I could think of worse choices.

And he had a pretty decent NFL career, which can't hurt when dealing with recruits.

That was 5 years ago. I'd say he does a good job of coaching up these 3 and 4 star guys. It's incredibly difficult to recruit in and coach in the SEC West, and he's done a great job at it.

Yeah, I think he does about as good as you can with the 3 star recruits. His record against ranked teams is horrible, but that's understandable in the SEC. But there's a ceiling to the, "whoever wants to come, come. I'll do what I can with it." At some point you have to win battles. And yeah, Miss. isn't loaded with talent, and MS state isn't a destination place. But Freeze brought Ole Miss a number 1 recruiting class. I would have liked to see Mullen start to bring in better classes being in the south.

Yeah' date=' I think he does about as good as you can with the 3 star recruits. His record against ranked teams is horrible, but that's understandable in the SEC. But there's a ceiling to the, "whoever wants to come, come. I'll do what I can with it." At some point you have to win battles. And yeah, Miss. isn't loaded with talent, and MS state isn't a destination place. But Freeze brought Ole Miss a number 1 recruiting class. I would have liked to see Mullen start to bring in better classes being in the south.[/quote']

There's a lot of chatter that Freeze was especially reckless in how he brought those big classes in. They could see some fall out from it in the near future.

Also, what Freeze did was unprecedented. What coach came in and immediately cranked out Top 5 recruiting classes, at a place like Ole Miss?

There's a lot of chatter that Freeze was especially reckless in how he brought those big classes in. They could see some fall out from it in the near future.

Also, what Freeze did was unprecedented. What coach came in and immediately cranked out Top 5 recruiting classes, at a place like Ole Miss?

I'm not sure "at a place like Ole Miss" means? Plenty of coaches at southern schools have stepped in and put together monster recruiting classes.

And I'm not really saying Mullen should have done that right away. But in year 7? Or whatever year we are in, I would like to see Mullen land better classes than he is getting.

And apparently Dan Mullen has interviewed again at Miami, at least that is what is being reported. So I wouldn't be too confident about him staying in MS if the right offer comes along.

I'm not sure "at a place like Ole Miss" means? Plenty of coaches at southern schools have stepped in and put together monster recruiting classes.

And I'm not really saying Mullen should have done that right away. But in year 7? Or whatever year we are in' date=' I would like to see Mullen land better classes than he is getting.

And apparently Dan Mullen has interviewed again at Miami, at least that is what is being reported. So I wouldn't be too confident about him staying in MS if the right offer comes along.[/quote']

Speaking just for myself, if you gave me a chance to go to any school in the country I wouldn't be picking one in Mississippi.

You could ask academically minded me, party me, love the weather me or prestige me and they would all agree in saying no to Mississippi.

Speaking just for myself, if you gave me a chance to go to any school in the country I wouldn't be picking one in Mississippi.

You could ask academically minded me, party me, love the weather me or prestige me and they would all agree in saying no to Mississippi.

But if you are a high school senior that believes your best shot at a good life may be via football, a scholarship to an SEC school might appeal to you greatly.

Most kids in the south, if given a chance, will say in the south. I think you're wrong about Oxford, although Starkville is a lot closer to what you're saying. But if I'm from Georgia and Bama, UGA, UF have all passed, and MS is my offer, I'd think a good recruiter would be able to sell me on the idea of staying in the south and playing somewhere my parents can come see me every Saturday, rather than me going to the Big Ten or something.

I just think MD is a tough sell too. So I would prefer the coach have proved he is capable of making the tough sell, which Mullen hasn't really.

Most kids in the south' date=' if given a chance, will say in the south. I think you're wrong about Oxford, although Starkville is a lot closer to what you're saying. But if I'm from Georgia and Bama, UGA, UF have all passed, and MS is my offer, I'd think a good recruiter would be able to sell me on the idea of staying in the south and playing somewhere my parents can come see me every Saturday, rather than me going to the Big Ten or something.

I just think MD is a tough sell too. So I would prefer the coach have proved he is capable of making the tough sell, which Mullen hasn't really.[/quote']

I'd rather go to one of the four FL schools or one of the Texas schools. Heck I'd rather go to LSU.

Archived