Randy Edsall FIRED ! Locksley Interim HC

Danielos38

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I didn't want to literally list every top tier school in the south.

USF is a top tier school now?

Even with the south thing that you think is going on I don't see Mississippi as a particularly attractive draw for recruits. Folks from Alabama change jokes about Alabama to Mississippi.

If Maryland was smart, they would make a serious run at

John Harbaugh. Imagine the excitement that would create locally and in the Big Ten! Now that would be a wow hire and I think with the right financial package it would be possible because I think Harbaugh has worn out his welcome at The Castle. Most NFL coaches not named Belicheck have short shelf lives anyways and my sense is Harbaugh's expiration time is about up with another non-playoff season. If USC was interested in him, why not us?:thumbsup1:

This is so ridiculous in so many different ways. Just wow. Thanks for coming in today.

BTW as reported elsewhere, today's interview is Richt. No chatter about Mullen since the weekend. My personal speculation is that if KP writes a big enough check and KA keeps out of the way we land Richt; if not, it's Durkin (with Lox staying on as OC/RC).

BTW as reported elsewhere, today's interview is Richt. No chatter about Mullen since the weekend. My personal speculation is that if KP writes a big enough check and KA keeps out of the way we land Richt; if not, it's Durkin (with Lox staying on as OC/RC).

Everybody seems to be reporting Richt is at a different UM today.

I'm not sure "at a place like Ole Miss" means? Plenty of coaches at southern schools have stepped in and put together monster recruiting classes.

And I'm not really saying Mullen should have done that right away. But in year 7? Or whatever year we are in' date=' I would like to see Mullen land better classes than he is getting.

And apparently Dan Mullen has interviewed again at Miami, at least that is what is being reported. So I wouldn't be too confident about him staying in MS if the right offer comes along.[/quote']

You're not sure? Is Ole Miss a school you'd expect a Top 5 class from? Are they a perennial power?

USF is a top tier school now?

Even with the south thing that you think is going on I don't see Mississippi as a particularly attractive draw for recruits. Folks from Alabama change jokes about Alabama to Mississippi.

The Alabama state motto is thank God for Mississippi.

If Maryland was smart, they would make a serious run at

John Harbaugh. Imagine the excitement that would create locally and in the Big Ten! Now that would be a wow hire and I think with the right financial package it would be possible because I think Harbaugh has worn out his welcome at The Castle. Most NFL coaches not named Belicheck have short shelf lives anyways and my sense is Harbaugh's expiration time is about up with another non-playoff season. If USC was interested in him, why not us?:thumbsup1:

I like how you agree that Saban and Meyer are out of MD league, but not Harbaugh. Hilarious.

The Terps aren't going to get a Richt or Mullen or any coach that would truly make an immediate impact. They are going to have to go after a good (but not VERY good...as they will look for more prestigious jobs) assistant who is willing to come in here and work their tail off to turn this program around.

I'd like to think that the lure of Under Armour and the new training center would entice a well-known name, but it is still just Maryland.

To be fair' date=' Freeze's recruits haven't hit the league yet. Ole Miss. is about to have 3 first rounders, probably Top 10 to 15, this next draft.[/quote']

I don't think you can count Freeze's recruits when we are talking about how he recruited them.

For him to say, in a couple of years, "Look at all the guys that I recruited that made it to the NFL." is a separate issue and more about him then Ol Miss or the SEC.

There are a few places I expect a top class from. A couple of Cali schools' date=' most of Texas schools and most of Florida schools, and Georgia. The rest it's a combination of a bunch of things.[/quote']

You don't expect it from Auburn, Alabama, Ohio St., Notre Dame, Michigan?

You don't expect it from Auburn, Alabama, Ohio St., Notre Dame, Michigan?

Maybe Ohio State. The other schools, not as an inherent trait. It's something they spend a ton of money for. And most of the time it works. But Alabama is one bad hire away from not having great recruiting classes, we have seen that in the past. Whereas even Florida under Ron Zook had elite classes.

But no, I don't really see any reason why Auburn, Alabama is going to have a better class than Oxford, Miss. every year. And as of right now, high school recruits don't see that reason either.

Maybe Ohio State. The other schools' date=' not as an inherent trait. It's something they spend a ton of money for. And most of the time it works. But Alabama is one bad hire away from not having great recruiting classes, we have seen that in the past. Whereas even Florida under Ron Zook had elite classes.

But no, I don't really see any reason why Auburn, Alabama is going to have a better class than Oxford, Miss. every year. And as of right now, high school recruits don't see that reason either.[/quote']

You're way too hung up on location. What's appealing about Norman, OK or South Bend, IN? Nothing. But if you're a HS football player, you're going to the place with the perception of being a great place to help you get to the NFL.

It's the same reason that basketball players all want to go to Lawrence, KS and Lexington, KY, even though they are coming from nicer places.

You're way too hung up on location. What's appealing about Norman, OK or South Bend, IN? Nothing. But if you're a HS football player, you're going to the place with the perception of being a great place to help you get to the NFL.

It's the same reason that basketball players all want to go to Lawrence, KS and Lexington, KY, even though they are coming from nicer places.

Location is nearly everything. What's appealing about Norman, OK is it's proximity to Texas. There's nothing "inherent" about Norman, OK that will lead you to the NFL. Which is my point. Places like Norman, Oxford, Auburn, etc., they will largely be determined by who the coach is. OU sucked after the Switzer. And it's not that they under performed per se. When you look at the talent level they had, they performed exactly as they should have. They weren't able to pull in the big time recruits from Texas anymore, they had no local recruiting base in the state, and there's nothing "inherent" about Norman that will allow it to have NFL level players, so the program slipped. I wasn't "shocked" when that happened.

Yes, I expect Bama to always have a "Saban." But when they don't, I expect them to not be very good. I expect recruits to not come play for Shula or Stallings. And with no local base really, I expect the talent to fall during those years.

Archived