Randy Edsall FIRED ! Locksley Interim HC

Danielos38

Yeah because of Phil Knight correct? Terps have the equivalent of Phil Knight in Kevin Plank. He very well could be the catalyst.

They also had a great string coaches. Oregon isn't a program that will always compete because they are "Oregon." They aren't really a big time football state (a lot like MD), so really need a ton of money to be put into the program, and their coaching hires need to be home runs. The previous two were home run hires, the latest one might not be.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The norm is mediocrity, with the occasional outstanding season or short run of success.

I don't think you can pin blame on anyone, it's just the school's situation. No college in the Northeast Megalopolis has really had any long-term success. I don't know if it's just a matter of support, or kids playing sports other than football or what.

I think we should demand to at least be consistently good. A top 50 to 60 type team. There is no reason why we can't hope to be West Virginia every year. And maybe once every 5 or so years be a legit contender for the Big 10. But you're right, there isn't enough talent in the state to expect a "big time" program. And College Park isn't the kind of college town that out of state talent is going to shun their home state programs for.

MD showed a lot of fight today. If they had a half decent QB they would easily be a top 40 team. Tie game in the 2nd half on the road against the #1 team in the nation (though a rather weak #1 honestly) isn't too bad considering the options they have behind center.

Doubt it's enough to save Edsall's job though if in fact the report is true. Kevin Anderson better have a Chip Kelly type hire under his sleeve though. Don't just fire Edsall to fire him then bring in another average coach. Edsall has recruited too well recently for that.

There's a TON of talent in that state. Penn State could have an all home grown football team' date=' and be one of the more talented teams in the country. That doesn't really apply to the rest of the Northeast.[/quote']

With the right coach, don't see why we can't poach those players.

And I disagree with you on MD's football talent. Check the top 250 every year, MD is represented fairly well. Unfortunately most of the talent goes outside the state.

And I disagree with you on MD's football talent. Check the top 250 every year, MD is represented fairly well. Unfortunately most of the talent goes outside the state.

I don't see why not! It's a tactic Paterno relied on for many years when it came to players that committed to Maryland verbally.

This.

There's a ton of football talent in MD/DC. It seems to me that MD/DC usually has more or just as many top 300 players as PA.

I guess MD could poach Northeast states, but no coach at MD is going to poach the truly major talent states that feed a large % of the top teams. The South, Ohio, Cali, Texas, Florida, etc. There's just no reason for those players to come to MD. The teams in those states are football factories, and the schools are Meccas. There's no reason to ever go to College Park.

And I'm not saying there is no talent in MD. But you'd have to get every kid to stay, and then steal from other states, to truly be a big time program. According to Scout.com, the state has 10 4 star players and 25 3 star players. You'd basically have to do what Penn State use to be able to do any lock down everybody to really field a upper tier program. Combine that with the fact that people continue to move out of the state of MD, and you have a diminishing talent pool that wasn't the greatest to begin with. It's a difficult task for a coach. There's a reason why the south dominates football. To say "we just need the right coach and we could be up there" is perhaps true, as it is for any program. But it underestimates some of the limitations the state has.

They need an offensive genius if they ever hope to sell seats and boxes. This program hasn't had good QB play since Scotty McBrien.

Chip Kelly ain't happening. I'd consider Bowling Green's Babers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Herman at Houston would be a great hire. Don't know if he would jump for Maryland, as he could probably land at a school like South Carolina or Miami or maybe even Texas if he just waits a few years. But you have to like the idea of somebody from the Urban coaching tree, and he has Houston's offense humming this year (and Ohio State's has sucked without him, even with all that talent).

Herman at Houston would be a great hire. Don't know if he would jump for Maryland' date=' as he could probably land at a school like South Carolina or Miami or maybe even Texas if he just waits a few years. But you have to like the idea of somebody from the Urban coaching tree, and he has Houston's offense humming this year (and Ohio State's has sucked without him, even with all that talent).[/quote']

I'd rather coach at Maryland than South Carolina or Miami right now. Easily.

SC and Miami have more of a history of success but I think MD is committed to building a very good football program. And they have the financial resources to do so.

SC and Miami have more of a history of success but I think MD is committed to building a very good football program. And they have the financial resources to do so.

Then you're insane, and there isn't a single coach in America that would agree with you. You're talking about a big state school in the south and another school with more talent just within its city limits than most states have, including MD.

That's silly homer talk. SC plays in a 90,000 seat stadium and a great atmosphere. Miami has all the tradition. Maryland has what?

Reich could be a good hire, if interested. Though I don't know what kind of recruiter he would be. Your best bet is to go after an OC at a Big 12 school.

Archived