Randy Edsall FIRED ! Locksley Interim HC

Danielos38

That's silly homer talk. SC plays in a 90,000 seat stadium and a great atmosphere. Miami has all the tradition. Maryland has what?

Reich could be a good hire, if interested. Though I don't know what kind of recruiter he would be. Your best bet is to go after an OC at a Big 12 school.

It's not really even just tradition with Miami. They suck right now because they have made a string of horrible coaching hires. And they lose just about every major recruiting battle. But they still had something like 7 players drafted in the NFL last year. Even when you're horrible there, you're still the most talented team when you step on the field against most teams you play, and always will be. That's just not something most programs can offer.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A

It's not really even just tradition with Miami. They suck right now because they have made a string of horrible coaching hires. And they lose just about every major recruiting battle. But they still had something like 7 players drafted in the NFL last year. Even when you're horrible there' date=' you're still the most talented team when you step on the field against most teams you play, and always will be. That's just not something most programs can offer.[/quote']

Miami is definitely set up to be successful. They're kind of like what Alabama was before Saban. Whether they find that next guy to take them there is another question.

I hope they don't try to take Muschamp from us, but he'd be a good fit at Miami. His staff recruits south Florida extremely well, and I think Will has learned enough to bring in a solid OC and hand over control.

That's silly homer talk. SC plays in a 90,000 seat stadium and a great atmosphere. Miami has all the tradition. Maryland has what?

Reich could be a good hire, if interested. Though I don't know what kind of recruiter he would be. Your best bet is to go after an OC at a Big 12 school.

MD has Kevin Plank. Miami and SC don't have that.

And that's not something to overlook. Without Phil Knight Oregon would be nothing. Now they compete for the NC almost every year (when they had a good coach anyways).

And that's not something to overlook. Without Phil Knight Oregon would be nothing. Now they compete for the NC almost every year (when they had a good coach anyways).

Folks keep mentioning Plank, and I know about the uniforms.

Has he stepped forward and offered substantial resources to help the various sporting programs?

Not really. When was the last time Miami was relevant? Recruits don't care about what happened before they were born.

Maryland has Under Armour and Kevin Plank. Every other school in the country wishes they had that besides Oregon.

And new facilities.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-terps-athletic-complex-20141117-story.html

Not really. When was the last time Miami was relevant? Recruits don't care about what happened before they were born.

Maryland has Under Armour and Kevin Plank. Every other school in the country wishes they had that besides Oregon.

And new facilities.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-terps-athletic-complex-20141117-story.html

I don't think recruits care about one day catching up to the rest of the Big 10 either. Money isn't all that is required. OK St. still hasn't come anywhere close to elite status with all the money from T Boone Pickens.

There might be a small percentage of coaches who would be more interested in MD than SC or Miami, but the majority will not. MD isn't even close to that level right now.

Yes, and with Phil Knight they still never won a NC. Why? Because it's difficult to recruit the kind of savages you need on the lines if you aren't in a state that has them. Yeah, Oregon can go to California and after USC and UCLA take what they want, grab some kid that is over 6 feet and runs the forty in a 4.4, 4.5 and plug them into the system. But if's very difficult to "system" around the fronts. It's why Oregon would have trouble with Standford some years, the offense struggled against Auburn, struggled against Ohio State. Because those type of players don't grow on trees like skill position players do in these states. Kevin Plank can't change that. Phil Knight can't change that. You're limited in what you can do in these states. Those limitations aren't there at Miami or SC. A program like Oregon NEEDS a good coach. Miami doens't. They just can't have all these coaches with little to no experiences and are horrible like they have. But when that program is humming, the coach is interchangeable, because of the talent that grows on trees in Miami.

Yes' date=' and with Phil Knight they still never won a NC. Why? Because it's difficult to recruit the kind of savages you need on the lines if you aren't in a state that has them. Yeah, Oregon can go to California and after USC and UCLA take what they want, grab some kid that is over 6 feet and runs the forty in a 4.4, 4.5 and plug them into the system. But if's very difficult to "system" around the fronts. It's why Oregon would have trouble with Standford some years, the offense struggled against Auburn, struggled against Ohio State. Because those type of players don't grow on trees like skill position players do in these states. Kevin Plank can't change that. Phil Knight can't change that. You're limited in what you can do in these states. Those limitations aren't there at Miami or SC. A program like Oregon NEEDS a good coach. Miami doens't. They just can't have all these coaches with little to no experiences and are horrible like they have. But when that program is humming, the coach is interchangeable, because of the talent that grows on trees in Miami.[/quote']

Crazy how college aged males would rather live in Miami then Oregon.

And new facilities.

But every recruit wants to stay home. There is a difference between programs that have a great tradition but arne't set up to be good in modern day college football, and programs that have great tradition, haven't been winning lately, but the tools are all there to still be great.

Colorado is a a perfect example of the former. During the middle half of the 80's and throughout the 90's they were a very good program. Competed for NCs, and even won one. But they relied on going to Cali to recruit. Because the state had no talent, and the neighboring states had no talent. They would compete with USC and UCLA for some players, hopefully win some of those battles, and take what was left when those two schools filled up. And because Cali has so much talent, what was left was enough to be a top program. And because you didn't have any other major football played out west, Cali players went to Colorado.

Well that dynamic has changed. Now tons of colleges have really made an effort to build up their football programs. And so you don't have to go to Colorado if you want to stay out west and play football. Go to Oregon. Hell, go to Boise State. And that has killed Colorado. You look at them and there is no reason whatsoever for them to be big time program ever again. They are purely a program of tradition. Nebraska is almost the same way. That is the complete opposite of a program like Miami. Or even the Trojans who have been bad for a while. All they need is a coach of decent ability. Because you throw a rock in those cities and you'll hit four 5 star recruits. Those schools have more talent within 30 miles of the campus than most states do. They are sleeping giants, not reminders of an era of college football that no longer exists.

I get that you love MD, I went to College Park, I want to see the team have success. But they just aren't even in the same building as some of these other programs whose job will probably open up. And the Cult of Under Armor isn't going to change that.

A couple of big jobs already coming open (one major job). Not a good time to be searching for a head coach.

The more I think about it the more a guy like Frank Reich appeals to me. We might need to go for a guy with ties to Maryland. Especially one with strong character like Reich.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived