Randy Edsall FIRED ! Locksley Interim HC

Danielos38

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hehe. Paul Finebaum's credibility is barely above that of Skip Bayless. Considering they were "discussing" it in that adversarial type setting, it's even less reputable.

He really was the first to do it. Finebaum's entire show is about saying things that will get Tammy from Auburn and Phyllis from Bama to call up and go off on the radio. He doesn't know anything about football, he was just the right guy there when the SEC exploded.

But there's a reason why FSU's coach is upset Miami fired Golden and way the guy that runs Warchant was sarcastically thanking Clemson for getting Miami's coach fired.

Penn State's football program will always recruit easier and better than Md, just based on the rich history of their football program, just on name alone, like Notre Dame, etc.

It's also a "college town." When I visited College Park my reaction was, "Yeah, I'll go to school here, but I think I'll commute." It's a one bar town in PG County. It's also not a commuter state. Kids have no desire to play football at MD because their didn't grow up on it. Their parents attended schools from out of state, and so their house was a "Bulldog" house or whatever. Georgia actually has the same problem recruiting the Atlanta area. There's more Tenn. Volunteer alums in the Atlanta area than there are Bulldog alums. With MD the entire state is a lot like that.

As the poster said, silly homer talk. Finebaum is the definition of a homer. He's Mr. SEC. So of course he would say that about a non-SEC southern program, that destroyed his favorite teams, and an area that his teams have relied on to recruit. Teams like Alabama stand to lose a lot if they aren't getting the Amari Coopers anymore.

In the end, Miami has like 10 players from last year's team on the active NFL roster. According to ESPNU yesterday, they currently have the number 8 recruiting class in the country. Which in some ways just shows how much people hate Miami, and how irrational they can get about that program. On one hand the guys on ESPNU are saying that Miami's facilities stop it from being a big time program anymore because they can't get kids to commit to them. And on the other hand they would keep bringing up that Miami has the number 8 recruiting class in the entire country. The two ideas are literally the antithesis of each other, but the kind of "foaming at the mouth" way in which a lot of people talk about Miami due to the program's past conduct, causes them to make these diametrically opposed statements.

They also have four teams to support.

Yeah, but the state has enough to do that and supply Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, West Virginia, etc. with talent. It's insane how much talent is in that state when you look at rosters around the country. Strong's Cardinals teams were largely made up of Florida players.

Well my two cents worth is this. You almost have to neglect your college football program with as big an enrollment as Maryland has. Even with the major online schools included Maryland was 18th in the country in enrollment in 2013. The problem isn't that nobody goes to Maryland.

Sourced from Wikipedia

U.S. Department of Education Fall 2013 Enrollment[2]

Ranking College Classification Location Enrollment

1 University of Phoenix Private Arizona 442,033

2 Ivy Tech Community College Public Indiana 175,313

3 Ashford University Private Iowa 169,843

4 American Public University System Private West Virginia 110,644

5 Miami Dade College Public Florida 100,855

6 Lone Star College System Public Texas 98,313

7 Liberty University Private Virginia 95,639

8 Houston Community College System Public Texas 93,625

9 Arizona State University Public Arizona 81,789

10 Kaplan University Private Iowa 77,566

11 Northern Virginia Community College Public Virginia 76,552

12 Walden University Private Minnesota 75,895

13 Tarrant County College District Public Texas 75,547

14 Grand Canyon University Private Arizona 71,712

15 Austin Community College District Public Texas 70,452

16 University of Central Florida Public Florida 69,086

17 Ohio State University Public Ohio 64,930

18 University of Maryland Public Maryland 64,737

19 University of Minnesota Public Minnesota 63,929

20 Broward College Public Florida 62,796

21 Florida International University Public Florida 60,592

22 Valencia College Public Florida 60,469

23 University of Florida Public Florida 56,683

24 East Los Angeles College Public California 56,395

25 College of Southern Nevada Public Nevada 56,364

26 Rio Salado College Public Arizona 56,031

27 Capella University Private Minnesota 56,009

28 Portland Community College Public Oregon 55,558

29 University of Texas at Austin Public Texas 55,469

30 Texas A&M University Public Texas 53,966

The point I'm getting at I guess. Is that with as many people going to Maryland. They should at least be able to field an average team in everything they do.

Well my two cents worth is this. You almost have to neglect your college football program with as big an enrollment as Maryland has. Even with the major online schools included Maryland was 18th in the country in enrollment in 2013. The problem isn't that nobody goes to Maryland.

Sourced from Wikipedia

U.S. Department of Education Fall 2013 Enrollment[2]

Ranking College Classification Location Enrollment

1 University of Phoenix Private Arizona 442,033

2 Ivy Tech Community College Public Indiana 175,313

3 Ashford University Private Iowa 169,843

4 American Public University System Private West Virginia 110,644

5 Miami Dade College Public Florida 100,855

6 Lone Star College System Public Texas 98,313

7 Liberty University Private Virginia 95,639

8 Houston Community College System Public Texas 93,625

9 Arizona State University Public Arizona 81,789

10 Kaplan University Private Iowa 77,566

11 Northern Virginia Community College Public Virginia 76,552

12 Walden University Private Minnesota 75,895

13 Tarrant County College District Public Texas 75,547

14 Grand Canyon University Private Arizona 71,712

15 Austin Community College District Public Texas 70,452

16 University of Central Florida Public Florida 69,086

17 Ohio State University Public Ohio 64,930

18 University of Maryland Public Maryland 64,737

19 University of Minnesota Public Minnesota 63,929

20 Broward College Public Florida 62,796

21 Florida International University Public Florida 60,592

22 Valencia College Public Florida 60,469

23 University of Florida Public Florida 56,683

24 East Los Angeles College Public California 56,395

25 College of Southern Nevada Public Nevada 56,364

26 Rio Salado College Public Arizona 56,031

27 Capella University Private Minnesota 56,009

28 Portland Community College Public Oregon 55,558

29 University of Texas at Austin Public Texas 55,469

30 Texas A&M University Public Texas 53,966

I went to the University of Maryland when I was stationed in Germany.

I don't see much correlation between size of school and winning football program based on your list.

I don't see much correlation between size of school and winning football program based on your list.

Your right on that point. Which gets to my point of you almost have to be like Liberty University and just not really care that much about the program. They lend it lip service but as far as going the extra mile. Not so much.

Maryland I think cares about the program now. But they are paying the price now for not really caring for it historically.

Your right on that point. Which gets to my point of you almost have to be like Liberty University and just not really care that much about the program. They lend it lip service but as far as going the extra mile. Not so much.

Not really, there are other dynamics. The reason why the Gophers, with that huge enrollment, aren't a big time football program, has nothing to do with not spending enough money or going the extra mile. Each situation is unique.

Archived